LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 09:05 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Issues

I've been having some interesting issues with my instrument cluster as of late. These aren't really major issues, but I'm curious to know if anyone else had experienced these things. So when I have my lights on and I put my right turn signal on, my reverse and "lights on" lights flash along with the blinker light on my instrument cluster. And my left turn signal on the instrument cluster doesn't work. Also, I recently got a warning light for one of my tail/brake lights being out, but I checked them and they're fine. Not sure if these are some tell tale signs of my ECU going bad, but seems like it could be the case from what I've read on the forums here. I'm curious to know what could be causing this.

Thanks all,
Weston P.
Old 06-20-17, 09:14 AM
Saurael
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westopill
I've been having some interesting issues with my instrument cluster as of late. These aren't really major issues, but I'm curious to know if anyone else had experienced these things. So when I have my lights on and I put my right turn signal on, my reverse and "lights on" lights flash along with the blinker light on my instrument cluster. And my left turn signal on the instrument cluster doesn't work. Also, I recently got a warning light for one of my tail/brake lights being out, but I checked them and they're fine. Not sure if these are some tell tale signs of my ECU going bad, but seems like it could be the case from what I've read on the forums here. I'm curious to know what could be causing this.

Thanks all,
Weston P.
Hey I've just started having some cluster issues as well. My speedo and rpm gauges work when they want too. I believe this could be a ecu issue as well and would need all of the capacitors to be replaced as posted on a sticky thread. Good luck!
Old 06-20-17, 11:44 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

sounds like the trunk wiring harness has become brittle over time and is shorting out to each other causing unwanted lights. this is a common issue on older LS400s 90-94 but can be found in 95-up as well. inspect the wiring harness that comes off the trunk hinge and into the trunk area. look for broken or exposed wiring in the areas where the wires pivot or move as the trunk is opened and closed. repair as necessary.
Old 06-21-17, 12:02 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
sounds like the trunk wiring harness has become brittle over time and is shorting out to each other causing unwanted lights. this is a common issue on older LS400s 90-94 but can be found in 95-up as well. inspect the wiring harness that comes off the trunk hinge and into the trunk area. look for broken or exposed wiring in the areas where the wires pivot or move as the trunk is opened and closed. repair as necessary.
I found this exposed wire right next to the subwoofer. Not sure what its for?
Old 06-29-17, 01:36 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Default Trunk Wiring harness

So I've found the harness that is supposed to be having these electrical issues, but to be honest, I don;t even know where to start. I've removed most of the electrical tape from the harness and I cant find any streched wires or cut wires. I also am not fond of working on electrical issues at all, so that doesn't help. :/ Where on this harness does it typically fail? I'll include a pic since I have seen no pictures of this anywhere whatsoever.I know of this: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html webpage that explains the issue, but without seeing a picture of it, and having very little knowledge of electrical problems, I'm pretty much blind here. Here is a pic of the wiring harness
Old 07-05-17, 11:12 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

thank you for the pictures. those wires don't look too bad. inspect the area that gets bent during movement of the hinge. usually the wires are brittle and fall apart. as for the exposed wire in the sub, that is normal.
Old 07-07-17, 01:10 PM
hadris
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hadris
Hello, I probably have a similar problem, the car goes perfectly fine but I started to blink these lights...There will be a problem in the electrical cables in the trunk???Thank you guys!
Old 07-07-17, 01:31 PM
hadris
Driver School Candidate

Or maybe I can ignore it when the car goes well,what can happen?
Old 07-15-17, 04:06 AM
hadris
Driver School Candidate

The problem has been solved,even though none of you have responded, the alternator has gone wrong, all the wrong parts have been changed ....
Old 07-15-17, 06:30 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Interesting find! I wouldn't have thought of the alternator, could be the problem in my case as well since I noticed a little bit of powersteering fluid leaking into it.
Old 07-17-17, 05:48 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

nobody responded because this has been talked about in many threads...use the search feature
Old 08-14-17, 07:22 PM
westopill
Intermediate

I decided to put together this video of what is going on with my instrument cluster so you can see first hand. I don't know how to fix this, but hopefully someone on here might. Heres the video.