LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 11:14 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics

Several people have asked about my "muffler delete" mod. I thought I would help clarify this by posting pics of the stock system and showing where to remove the mufflers. I will also take the opportunity to post pictures of the stock components and discuss what to expect if you modify or change parts.
Old 06-11-03, 11:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Tools: vise grips, 12mm socket wrench.

Step one: safely raise the rear of the car (jack stands, ramps, lift).

Two: loosen but do not remove the 12mm bolt in each of the 2 band clamps between the silencers and rear mufflers (see pic)

Notice the piping under the band clamps is split. Once the hanger is loose you need to wiggle the muffler side to side and up and down to slightly expand the split pipe under the clamp.
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics-muff-del-mod.jpg  

Last edited by JBrady; 06-11-03 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 12:02 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Next: take the vise grips and snugly grip and lock over the rubber "O" ring shown to the left in the below picture (this is the left side, on the right side it is opposite). Pull the "O" ring down and off the metal bracket on the muffler. The ring will stay on the car. This is NOT easy as the ring is strong rubber so be careful. Once this ring is off the muffler will drop slightly and the other ring will be removed from the car and stay on the mufflers bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics-rear-hang-back.jpg  

Last edited by JBrady; 06-11-03 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 12:10 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Now: as stated above, wiggle the muffler back and forth and up and down to expand the split piping at the clamp. With some work and twisting the muffler will slide off. Do this on both sides. Your car will now have the "muffler delete mod"

I personally leave it like this. The silencers become the "final" mufflers and do a surprising job of quieting the car. Noise levels go up only slightly. Car will sound stronger but not LOUD. You could reduce in car sound by having a muffler shop make extentions from the silencers. For me it is not an issue. You decide.

It is difficult to say if this mod increases power measureably, maybe a couple horsepower, the rest of the system is just too restrictive BUT you definitely save weight and sound stronger.

Here is a pic showing the open silencers
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics-both-muf-out-lookg-forward.jpg  
Old 06-12-03, 07:06 AM
Lvangundy

woah..first gen exhaust is A LOT different.

Good info!
Old 06-12-03, 08:38 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Lee, I know YOURs is a LOT different

But seriously, the 1st gen has some differences but is essentially the same layout. The muffler delete mod should work just fine.
Old 06-12-03, 05:41 PM
brian3268
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Abcedefghij

Last edited by brian3268; 08-28-21 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-20-03, 02:04 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Ive used this delete mod for my 929 (I got the idea here), I removed a very large RV sized muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe and a 3.5" tip, it sounds sweet with a nice gurgle and isnt loud at all (until I change the resonator) the HP gain is also very nice
Old 08-26-07, 03:06 PM
agood1
Rookie

So you just leave the pipe open after you remove the mufflers? Or are you fabricating at tail pipe?
Old 08-26-07, 03:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by agood1
So you just leave the pipe open after you remove the mufflers? Or are you fabricating at tail pipe?
ugh, what is it with people bringing back LONG dead threads

at least he searched

leave it open or ahve some pipe welded on, its personal choice and either works.
Old 08-26-07, 04:41 PM
agood1
Rookie

Leave it open? That's just GHETTO man.

I found this thread in the sticky at the top of the page for FAQs. I would assume it was put there so other people could see it and ask questions if necessary. Especially since the post is not too explanatory.
Old 10-16-11, 12:35 PM
LTNOITALL
Driver School Candidate

I have a question concerning that when you do the muffler delete, when it dumps out hot gases could the heat of the exhaust melt the CV boots above? I started to proceed with this mod and noticed this and decided to put them back on because I don't want to replace my CV boots frequently. I can deal with a little bit of smell in the cabin, I can just roll down the windows but the CV Boots concern me.
Old 10-16-11, 03:05 PM
RavenTai
Driver School Candidate

I hate to be Debbie downer, but keep in mind exhaust gasses are corrosive, if you plan to keep your vehicle for a while having some pipes bring it to the back would be a good idea. should be pretty cheap also, the rubber of the CV boots could be affected also, not only from heat but also chemicals in the exhaust stream.
Old 10-16-11, 03:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The suggested fix would be to have your favorite muffler shop make some extensions or at simple best, your local auto parts for some tips to direct the exhaust down-away.

This mod usually leads to other exhaust mods so it is a temporary situation. Then you want the proper piping and run an X pipe and duals out the back. Or the Y merge into a single. (The Y-pipe into a single is what I would do but I'm far to penny pinchy these days. )
Old 10-16-11, 04:48 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like this would eventually lead to fumes in the cabin, no?

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete mod and stock parts pics