LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Will a broken Engine Temp Sender (not sensor) mess with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 03:53 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will a broken Engine Temp Sender (not sensor) mess with my car?

I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor and now I wanna do the sender (next to it) so that my gauge works. The reason I'm asking this question is because, while I was able to change the Coolant Sensor, the connector almost broke.

If, God forbid, the connector for the sender breaks as I'm taking it off, am I ****ed? It's a little dry rotted and I'm in a point in my life where I NEED the car running so I can't risk doing something that might make it not turn on.

I'm asking because I know these cars are very sophisticated and won't run without certain sensors but what about the sender?

ANY advice is appreciated. Tips to take it off? I would love to know how the connector connects to the sender (ie. does it clip on, does it twist on/off a clip, or what). If I know that, at least I can take precautions. I just don't want to pull it and break it and find out I was supposed to turn it or something...
Old 07-03-17, 03:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The gauge temp sensor is a one wire deal, and its not all that difficult to remove I don't remember but I'm sure its the normal pinch a small lock device to remove it or it may simply just pull off its been awhile since doing one. If for some reason that connector broke a quick fix would be a crimp on connector that all auto parts places would have. Also the dealers may have the connectors in the parts departments or just hunt down one in a wrecking yard.
Oh and no the temp sensor for gauge has nothing to do with the engine control just to warn about engine temperature conditions.
Old 07-04-17, 04:29 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dicer, you are the man! Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear.

You know, I was thinking, since it's one wire, why wouldn't I be able to rig it? And then you mention a crimp (that's how it's spelled?). After all, it just needs the connection, right?

If a connector breaks off, does a new one typically come with wires you have to solder back? Usually I would think so but car electronics is something I hate.

I'm assuming a crimp is something that attaches to the wire and connects to the sender.

The main point of this post is that I wanted reassurance that if I mess up, the car will still drive (logic said yes but you don't know sometimes). Thanks dicer. Again, your help is very much appreciated, not taken for granted, and is concise and to the point.

In something unrelated, the Check Engine light on this beat up 200k LS went off. I am so surprised how well it's doing. This forum helped.