LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS400 Alternator Plug Wire Order?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-17, 06:54 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 LS400 Alternator Plug Wire Order?

I am in the middle of doing the alternator, had to get a new plug because my original disintegrated while pulling it out and the wires did not stay in any order. I have 3 wires for the alternator harness that are supposed to go into the plug that are white with green stripe, solid yellow, and black with a yellow stripe. I need to know what wire goes where, left to right. I have bought a new pigtail connector but all of those wires are just black. So I have seen in the forum that if you look at the rectangular connector with the tab on the top, that the pin on the left is the #1 pin, middle is #2 pin and left is # 3 pin, but the wiring diagrams do not show or tell the color of the wires. Does anyone know what order the colored wires from the wiring harness to the alternator go to which pin # in the new pigtail connector ?

thanks for any help today on the 4th of July as I am under the car today and hoping to finish before the fireworks

I am still actively searching the interweb and CL for an answer.
Old 07-04-17, 11:15 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Use oem replacement parts

Lexus sells the connector shell and if you require, the raw connector pins. (crimping required)

If the connector you purchased is Summitomo OEM brand with correct P.N. on shell, then if you compress the contact lances, remove contacts with wire pigtail, use the shell only to avoid hacking up your wiring.

If the contact pins are not damaged, they will simply slip into the new OEM connector shell and lock into place

Don't hack up your wiring with the dice and splice.

Ask Lexus for the P.N. and wiring orientation.

Javier at parts McGrath Lexus Chicago has a 93 Sc400 and connector parts book so he should be able to assist you.
Old 07-05-17, 07:29 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANKS YODAONE - Found Answer between ClubLexus and Fixit

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Lexus sells the connector shell and if you require, the raw connector pins. (crimping required)

If the connector you purchased is Summitomo OEM brand with correct P.N. on shell, then if you compress the contact lances, remove contacts with wire pigtail, use the shell only to avoid hacking up your wiring.

If the contact pins are not damaged, they will simply slip into the new OEM connector shell and lock into place

Don't hack up your wiring with the dice and splice.

Ask Lexus for the P.N. and wiring orientation.

Javier at parts McGrath Lexus Chicago has a 93 Sc400 and connector parts book so he should be able to assist you.
Thanks for the reply Yodaone. I actually found the answer between Club Lexus BB where I found out that the number of the pins is #1, #2, #3 from left to right on the connector with the press tab on the top. Then I found another person who could not determine which pin# the blue/white, yellow and black w/ yellow stripe wires from the 94 Lexus LS400 alternator wiring harness connected to, on a Fixya BB. The answer was, the Solid Yellow goes to Pin # I (left pin with tab on the top), Black/Yellow goes to Pin #2 (middle) and White/Blue goes to Pin #3 (right pin with tab on the top). *The Fixya replier was an auto mechanic who responded and he said this about where the wires come from and go to each pin (hope this helps someone else searching): In Position 1 Yellow goes tot he charging indicator on the Instr. Panel and comes from the left side of Steering Column fuse box, (10Amp Ignition Fuse) in Position 2, Black/Yellow comes from the left side of Steering Column fuse box (7.5Amp Engine Fuse) and Position 3 White/Blue comes from the left side of Engine Compartment fuse link box (40A Amp1 Fuse Link). He also said white comes from the left side of Engine Compartment fuse link box 120A Alt Fuse Link.). Thanks for everyone's look and advice and actually got the alternator wired correctly and working last night successfully! Hope this helps anyone else with disintegrated alternator connector as it seems to be a problem for a number of Lexus Owners, but with different years. I think these instructions would work for 92 thru 94 Lexus LS400's (know it does not work for 90 or 91 as they have a smaller alternator and round connector.....since I could only find these two years of LS's at the junk yards to look at and it did not help at all).