LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 Instrument Panel Brightness

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 03:21 PM
yotoy822
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 LS400 Instrument Panel Brightness

You know how during the day the instrument panel and temperature and time in the center console are very bright since its sunny, but when you turn your headlights on at night, they go into a dim mode as not to disturb you? Well even with my headlights off they are all stuck in dim mode! Its not the worst thing I can still see the instruments just fine, its more annoying looking at the temperature and time. I'm just curious what it could be if anyone here has any ideas it would be super appreciated! I did play with the brightness ****, it works fine but doesn't turn off the night mode.
Old 07-05-17, 04:17 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

when you start the car, are all the needles nice and bright, then dim out? this may be caused by a faulty light sensor at the corner of your dashboard, to run the auto headlights.

also the switch stalk, where you turn to switch on the headlights, might be bad as well. try jiggling and pushing the stalk in towards the steering column to see if it corrects (having the switch in OFF, and car idling). the contacts might be dirty or intermittent.
Old 07-07-17, 01:34 PM
yotoy822
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
when you start the car, are all the needles nice and bright, then dim out? this may be caused by a faulty light sensor at the corner of your dashboard, to run the auto headlights.

also the switch stalk, where you turn to switch on the headlights, might be bad as well. try jiggling and pushing the stalk in towards the steering column to see if it corrects (having the switch in OFF, and car idling). the contacts might be dirty or intermittent.
Its set to the dim mode even when turn the car on. I can lower the brightness and increase it with the **** but it doesn't go up to that full day time brightness!

I'll try to play with the headlight stalk a bit and see if that helps, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-08-17, 07:47 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by yotoy822
Its set to the dim mode even when turn the car on. I can lower the brightness and increase it with the **** but it doesn't go up to that full day time brightness!

It's not supposed to go to the same brightness as daytime just so it doesn't distract you at night. I keep mine at only one click up at night. I wish there was a way to even turn it down during daylight. Maybe I'll try covering the sensor on the dash so it thinks it's night. (That just came to mind )
Old 07-10-17, 04:18 PM
yotoy822
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
It's not supposed to go to the same brightness as daytime just so it doesn't distract you at night. I keep mine at only one click up at night. I wish there was a way to even turn it down during daylight. Maybe I'll try covering the sensor on the dash so it thinks it's night. (That just came to mind )
I know its not supposed to be bright at night.. There is a way to make it dim at daylight with the **** even. What I am trying to convey is the night time mode is stuck like that in day time. I need it to be brighter in the day. Its stuck at the night time level.... ! you can lower the brightness to even zero or off or close to off with the ****.. the **** works great for me.. its just not going to day time brightness!
Old 07-13-17, 04:40 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yotoy822
I know its not supposed to be bright at night.. There is a way to make it dim at daylight with the **** even. What I am trying to convey is the night time mode is stuck like that in day time. I need it to be brighter in the day. Its stuck at the night time level.... ! you can lower the brightness to even zero or off or close to off with the ****.. the **** works great for me.. its just not going to day time brightness!
I don't mean to hijack your thread but maybe someone could help me. My **** works because I see the different gear lights by the shifter dim but the dash light never comes on. Also, the **** comes out sometimes? I guess because I'm accidently unscrewing it? But it's because I don't know how it's supposed to work but, for example, to turn it off I have to try both directions unless I guess right the first time. Then same thing when I reverse it although sometimes it does click back when it's supposed to. I thought it would be leftff, rightn but it seems to be random.