LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Reupholstery Thread - Post/discuss your project and ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 02:22 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Picked up a piece of leather today, getting things rolling

Just went to a local upholstery shop and picked up a piece of leather for my shift ****. They gave the piece to me for free!! Super nice people. Anyways, I took a pic of the color. Its not perfect, but its the closest they had, and it was free.
Old 08-19-17, 04:25 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Default Point of no return

Well, I've officially gone past the point of no return. I cut the leather off my shift **** and cut the wire that goes to the Overdrive. I cut it in a fashion that I might never be able to rewire it back together, but its no big deal since I don't use it anyways. Here is what it looks like naked.

Old 08-19-17, 05:39 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

As long as its on you should be all good. You dont want to be stuck in 3rd on the freeway. Look forward to seeing the results
Old 08-20-17, 09:44 AM
westopill
Intermediate

Default The deed is done, not half bad.

So here it is, the finished product. Let me begin by saying that I honestly just threw this together almost carelessly. Reason being that I came to find out that this is probably the hardest thing to reupholster in the whole car. Most upholstery shops don't even redo these shift *****. Anyways, I really don't think it came out half bad. It will only be temporary, as I'm going to look for an OEM floor shifter in good shape. This took me about 5 hours to make, and I really don't think its going to last since I didn't glue it, I just sewed it on tight. To anyone on this forum looking to reupholster their shift ****, I say "good luck and have fun." glhf

Old 08-21-17, 11:32 AM
Spartan536
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My 1992 LS400 is a project car; Project Revolution I call it.

Upgraded the infotainment system to modern standards, new LED lights on the interior and for the headlights (all Philips on interior, none of those knockoff brands), the headlights are GTR Gen3's. Backup camera is also installed, front camera with IR capability coming soon.

Speakers replaced with Pioneer TS-D1330C's and TS-D1302R's, with a new Pioneer 8inch 250w RMS Sub; all speakers and sub are in factory housings and look 100% stock. System is powered by a 5 Channel full digital 500w Alpine MRV-V500 Amplifier. Wiring is T-Spec V12GT OFC marine certified wire (car will die before the wiring goes bad). Ground wire is T-Spec V12 4 Gauge OFC with a 60A inline fuse.

I plan on replacing the exhaust system with an all stainless one that is matched for ultra low noise on the low end but when you open the RPM past 4k you get a factory sport sound (very mild).

I will be reupholstering my interior and adding in heated seats and cooled seats, custom Lexus logo embossing on the front of the headrests. Custom LED lit door plates reading LS400 will be installed on all 4 doors.

Replacing keyhole/ring lights with Green LED's. Gauge lights replaced with Philips ZES bright white LED's. Shifter light replaced with white LED.

Wood grain furniture will be replaced with laminated black ash by Benevento from Italy, it's $1200.

Last edited by Spartan536; 08-21-17 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 05:31 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Smile

I actually ended up replacing this creation with an OEM shifter assembly in great condition. Its definitely a better option. Even though it wasn't too bad of a creation, I just couldn't stand the way it felt when i shifted into gears. What I learned from this, is that the shift assembly is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, piece of leather to replace in a car. I watched a video on how to replace leather for a shift **** and it was 40 minutes long, with editing. Even professionals have a hard time with these shift *****. So word to the wise, unless your shift **** leather stitching is really simple, don't tackle this project. I also replaced my passenger seat that had tears in the leather, with a passenger seat from a different LS, and let me tell you, it is BEAUTIFUL. Especially for being 25 years old, the seat is in mint condition, and I got it for a steal. Personally, I think if you want to restore your car to make it look new, get OEM parts that are in great condition.Especially if you don't have thousands of dollars to spend on reupholstering your entire interior. This is an upholstery thread, so I won't be posting pics of the OEM replacements i got unless people want to see it, but this won't be the end of my upholstery experiments! I'll be sure to come back here when I feel like hyper focusing on another project.