LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Serious - Is this dangerous? Noticed something on my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 06:54 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Serious - Is this dangerous? Noticed something on my wheels

Notice something missing? In the center?

The rear wheels have it and I'm guessing it holds the rotor in place. Is this correct?

What is that part called?

I KNOW it's to stabilize something. Although its been like that since I got the car (I'm pretty sure...), recently I've heard a clank type sound maybe twice in the last week, typically when I would go down an incline to turn onto another street. But I have been riding around with four lugnuts until today because someone had taken my wheel lock key and I had those taken off but I don't think it's that. It could honestly be my hood too because, if anyone remembers me, I just replaced my hood but a hood hinge is bent so it's out of place and I tie it down with some slack (mainly because otherwise, it makes the knot damn near impossible to undo and also, someone else has to hold the hood all the way down as opposed to how it sits now about an inch up).

I really want to put bolts in place before I get the part but is that okay or even needed? I can't imagine why it would be bad but I can imagine why not having anything there can be bad...
Old 07-13-17, 08:51 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Your lug nuts serve to hold the rotor in place and possibly some rotor attachment screws if you still have them in.
I think what you're missing is the dust cover for the central portion. The noise could be coming from the hood. I'd insert some foam in between body and hood to take out some slack and see if it repeats.
You're clank could be related to worn bushings on the front end where your downward slope combined with a turn are causing the metal to connect instead of being absorbed by the bushing.
Old 07-13-17, 09:13 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

it's called a dust cap or a grease cap, and most cars RWD cars do not have them on the fronts only the rears, all it does is keep dust out of the hub, it doesn't hold anything in place...

I agree with Legender, your issue is most likely related to worn or damaged suspension bushings or possibly ball joints.
Old 07-13-17, 11:02 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

What is needed is a nice polish job on that camera lens. The fog makes is hard to discern anything.
Old 07-13-17, 04:53 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
What is needed is a nice polish job on that camera lens. The fog makes is hard to discern anything.
LOL that florida humidity I tells ya!

as for the 'missing' part, if I'm correct in the part you are referring to (direct center of the hub, the threaded hole), that's normal not to have anything in there.
Old 07-14-17, 05:19 AM
Legender
Racer

I would agree with that minimal thread contact. That would bother me more than the missing cover.
Old 07-14-17, 06:54 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Aside from the dust cap missing (and the fog) your lug nuts don't look to have much thread purchase on your wheel studs. Maybe check your offset?
Can you explain? I have no idea as to what you said - what exactly the problem is, how that would happen? And I have no idea about the offset as it's something I've never looked at.

I'm 99% sure you know those lugnuts also go inside the wheel itself about 2/3 of an inch if you're saying they're not long enough as far as thread but I know you said bolt...

As for the clank... hood hitting the hatch cause it's off-center (have to tie the hood down like I said).

edit: I think I get what you're saying about the thread. Some should be sticking out? However the lugnut takes up the whole bolt. Again I just don't know - can you explain the problem?
Old 07-14-17, 08:38 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas
Can you explain? I have no idea as to what you said - what exactly the problem is, how that would happen? And I have no idea about the offset as it's something I've never looked at.

I'm 99% sure you know those lugnuts also go inside the wheel itself about 2/3 of an inch if you're saying they're not long enough as far as thread but I know you said bolt...

As for the clank... hood hitting the hatch cause it's off-center (have to tie the hood down like I said).

edit: I think I get what you're saying about the thread. Some should be sticking out? However the lugnut takes up the whole bolt. Again I just don't know - can you explain the problem?
it's hard to discern from your picture, but I think what PatrixUSA is saying is that typically the lug comes completely through the nut and is usually flush or close to flush with the end of the nut, as you can see in my picture below:
Attached Thumbnails Serious - Is this dangerous? Noticed something on my wheels-lug.jpg  
Old 07-14-17, 05:28 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If a person thinks their lug nuts are loose a quick check with the wrench will tell you for sure. Maybe new studs installed and either not long enough or not installed all the way.
Old 07-16-17, 04:35 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Yeah... as mjeds illustrates with his picture... how many turns does it take to remove your lugs nuts? Or for that matter, how many turns to tighten? If fewer than three of four, I would check your wheel offset, either that or your wheel studs are too short. This may be the reason you're hearing a "clank" as you put it...

Worth checking out to make sure all is as it should be. Drive safe.
They're definitely tight and when I put the 5th lugnut on, I did feel a slight difference. I can't put my finger on it but it did something.

I replaced the rear brake pads a couple weeks ago and I didn't realize I need a new rotor so they were squealing I think because the new pads were on a small piece of the rotor where it wasn't touched before. If I'm not mistaken and what I said is true, when I put the 5th lugnuts on, the squeeling stopped.

Question. I need an alignment. I have another problem that might be related if it's not because I need an alignment. See, when I'm slowing down and using very little brake, I can feel that the brakes almost seem like they don't touch for a second OR they do but for an extra second, and also imagine that every revolution of the wheel, it's like I said, I feel a pad may not be coming back all the way and so it tends to touch the wheel slightly resulting in this "dunk dunk dunk" type noise AS I'M TURNING left (I think it's just left). It sounds like having a bump on one of your tires but not as loud. Thanks.
Old 07-16-17, 09:11 AM
Legender
Racer

Not sure what a bump on your tires sounds like, but I am aware of a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal when apply pressure for stopping. This is generally attributed to warped rotors and should be easily dealt with by replacing your rotors. I'd recommend this if your car has plenty of miles on it. You may have the rotors turned if there is enough meat on them, but generally with age and wear it's better to just replace them. Someone should post a pic of how your studs should look with your lug nuts tightened as it still seems rather short.
Noise while turning is probably more related to control arms and suspension parts.