LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power steering lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 07:21 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Yes
Any Toyota dealer should carry it. Part number in the photo is correct.
Fantastic! I have that,in 2 pieces.Im going to Toyota tomorrow for coolant,I will get that.Thank you very much!

Is that the PS pump 29 ft/lb torque for that hose? I'll search for that and see if I can find it for now.....Hmmmm....best I could come up with is torque to 'good-N-tight'.OK,that'll work,but sure has poor accessibility.Any tricks like install line then place pump in place or ???

Last edited by spuds; 09-17-20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 06:48 PM
spuds
Racer

Yes
Any Toyota dealer should carry it. Part number in the photo is correct.
Just more issues.Toyota doesnt have the part in my area at all.I can drive 120 miles round trip to get one.Is it re usable?
Old 09-18-20, 07:49 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Just more issues.Toyota doesnt have the part in my area at all.I can drive 120 miles round trip to get one.Is it re usable?
Shop Manual does not recommend reuse.

Will Toyota or Lexus ship part to you?
Old 09-18-20, 08:42 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Shop Manual does not recommend reuse.

Will Toyota or Lexus ship part to you?
Thanks Yodaone,then its a new part for sure.Definitely need the shop manual.What I got online just isnt good enough.

Sure,if I wait 5-7 days.With fires burning on 2 sides of me,not such a good plan.I found a couple dealers Lexus closer to me,both with parts dept open tomorrow,I will give em a call,if not,its another day wasted to go get the Longo Lexus one.....who stated,I have a ton of those....earliest to get in mail would be monday,ebay no go because of PO box,and all look like late in the week at earliest.

Last edited by spuds; 09-19-20 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-18-20, 11:11 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

It's just a fancy washer from Toyota. Ideally, you want to use new as the old one has been compressed but I've re-used the same washer 3 times & it's perfectly fine. If you're in a bind but don't want to use the old one then just get 2 aluminum or copper flat washers at any hardware stores. Make sure the outside & inside diameters of the new washers are the same as the original so it won't leak on you.
Old 09-18-20, 11:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Thanks superfast1.If I dont get it tomorrow I will do that.Now that I got the one that was torqued to 9 billion foot lbs off,I will be able to R and R for new washer with a wrench if it leaks.It was the pits trying to get a socket/torque wrench on the thing to get it removed,I will just wrench on the new one so I can wrench it off if it leaks.Never did find a TQ value for that.Just the generic tighten until washer is collapsed and get tight type of advice.

When i get it done I'll toss up some pics.I cant believe with all the work that was done they left all that grease there.Timing belt for sure is new,looks great.

Last edited by spuds; 09-18-20 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 08:06 AM
spuds
Racer

Thumbs up

Yay! Lexus dealer 25 miles away has 7 of em and open until 5pm.On my way!Just wait an hour for traffic,drink some coffee......
Old 09-19-20, 09:53 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks superfast1.If I dont get it tomorrow I will do that.Now that I got the one that was torqued to 9 billion foot lbs off,I will be able to R and R for new washer with a wrench if it leaks.It was the pits trying to get a socket/torque wrench on the thing to get it removed,I will just wrench on the new one so I can wrench it off if it leaks.Never did find a TQ value for that.Just the generic tighten until washer is collapsed and get tight type of advice.

When i get it done I'll toss up some pics.I cant believe with all the work that was done they left all that grease there.Timing belt for sure is new,looks great.
Same thing w/ the torque. Ideally, you want to re-torque everything to the mfg's specs but sometimes when you don't have access then just torque it by hand. Use a short pipe as an extension for more leverage if needed & go by feel. Do not over-tighten as you might strip the head/threads or worst yet, shear the head of the bolt off. Sounds like you're taking the time to do it right the 1st time so that's good.

How's the wild fires up there? Hope the worst is over & you guys are doing ok.
Old 09-19-20, 12:28 PM
spuds
Racer

Lexus of Riverside had 7 of em,got it!!! YAY!! 2 hours to go 55 miles in a 67 jeepster but it even handled the 91 freeway at 65 when needed.

El dorado is uncomfortably close to me,maybe 10 miles east as the crow flies?60% contained.A firefighter was killed there the other day,chokes me up every time I think of it,just let my place burn if its that serious,why we have insurance.The other fire to the west hit around pinion hills(juniper flats or something) in high desert moving North,took out homes.So they are still real threats.And we are nothing compared to the disaster in Oregon.
Old 09-20-20, 11:54 AM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Hey Spuds I was away from my laptop for the weekend.
Not sure where you are with the project but the torque spec for the pressure line is 36 ft-lbs.
I've attached a section of the Svc Manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
_Steering.pdf (1.05 MB, 87 views)
Old 09-20-20, 12:16 PM
spuds
Racer

Hey Spuds I was away from my laptop for the weekend.
Not sure where you are with the project but the torque spec for the pressure line is 36 ft-lbs.
I've attached a section of the Svc Manual.
Thanks for that link bradland.Awesome,I was going with +/- 9 Billion after the removal experience.

LOL,about where I was when you left LOL.Did some cleaning up,it was a mess and has a little to go I will do when timing belt covers are back on,dont want any carp getting in there for sure!!

Had high hopes for today and overslept,lost a lot of time parts chasing and sleep on this goofy project,but its all ready to button up now,very cool.Will be a lot easier going back together,all clean and fully accessible that wasnt before,you all know that drill.

I expoxied and nicely reinforced the area where the 2 broken nipples,PVC and a vacuum line were just hanging on the resonator box,looks and feels fantastic now... and going to epoxy one heck of reinforcement on that stupid small radiator hose outlet nipple on the new radiator to the pressure container that snaps off if you look at it cross-eyed.Not playing that game again.

You guys here are the BEST!! I couldnt do this without the club.Also true with my VW, Jeepster and the Dodge truck,so lucky we have the web.BUT I also have/had the dealer manuals.Wont make that mistake again,Lexus manual MUST get added to my garage.Like it or not I will have to do some of my own work on the car.

Last edited by spuds; 09-20-20 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 05:40 PM
spuds
Racer

Talking

HUGE day.I should have put on PS hose first,but bought a smaller socket for 17mm,1/2 drive for TQ wrench...FAIL.Wrenched it on goodNtight.Used TQ where I could,just snugged on the aluminum on timing covers.Dont trust my wrench that low for aluminum parts.

Sooo.....PS pump in,tensioner in and timing covers in. Good afternoon,eh? Did my physical daily limit.

Edit-noting what a grease monster it is,lots of work left there.My camera takes horrible pics FWIW.

Cleaner,looking like an engine again...
Power steering lines-v1qpwj0l.jpg

What I started with
Power steering lines-uf0o57ol.jpg
Power steering lines-7kl4adwl.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 09-20-20 at 07:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RA40 (09-20-20)
Old 09-20-20, 09:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

HUGE day.I should have put on PS hose first,but bought a smaller socket for 17mm,1/2 drive for TQ wrench...FAIL.Wrenched it on goodNtight.Used TQ where I could,just snugged on the aluminum on timing covers.Dont trust my wrench that low for aluminum parts.

Sooo.....PS pump in,tensioner in and timing covers in. Good afternoon,eh? Did my physical daily limit.
Good job spuds!
The following 2 users liked this post by sdls:
jaaa (09-22-20), spuds (09-21-20)
Old 09-20-20, 10:28 PM
spuds
Racer

I moved the rest of this repair over to this thread to keep this one more on topic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...1990-2000-183/
Old 03-16-23, 03:06 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 96DWPLS400
Got my Gates high pressure hose in today. Looks like I'm going to have to check/clean that filter on the rack solenoid as well now. Now whenever I do get this thing all buttoned back up, assuming the problem is fixed, I'm not going to have any idea what fixed it.

How is the gates holding up? I think mine is leaking. Especially where it goes out from the pump on the union. I maybe wrong but wondering how is the hose holding up

Quick Reply: Power steering lines