LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No reverse and Neutral drives forward

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 04:04 PM
cristianhr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
You'd better to think a bit more logically.
See the solenoid chart attached below although it's for a A650E. Just disregard S4 and think what happens when S1 is always OFF.
When the solenoid S1 is failed to work and is always off, it causes No reverse as well as the neutral works as the 4th. This must be your problem, I bet.
That seems logical, I have been looking for a chart like this for the A340e but just cant seem to find it anywhere. I will be doing some more research on this and see if anything these two transmissions work alike
Old 09-18-17, 04:23 PM
cristianhr
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Seems like a win here. Test continuity and then pull them and verify they move when 12V is applied.

How exactly did you verify the alignment of switch and detents? I would remove the cable to the trans and use the alignment pin (usually while in N) and align the switch.
For the most part when in N, there should be NO pressure applied to ANY bands or shift drums. So, something seems wrong here like the trans has a stuck valve or it is not actually in neutral. In rare cases, something could have bent the mechanism therefor the External lever on the trans is in fact in Neutral, but internally the valve body is not in Neutral or completely IN or OUT of any desired gear.

Read up on the oil control circuit needed for each gear. It should tell you something about this.
Another possible option is a band has snapped. For reverse, drums are stopped by band clamps actuated by pistons. Thus it makes me wonder if band on a drum snapped off an end therefore a drum that is supposed to be locked for reverse to occur and some ranges of forward motion, well if the bands end snapped this is possible to have no motion.

So, with the valve body off and map of which oil passage goes to which drum and which band and you can use a air pressure and a rubber tip on some passages and apply say 50psi of air and A) test for leaks. B) verify that said drum or band (bands using pistons), apply and grip the drum.
I simply went under the car and had someone shift all the way from P down to L then back just to confirm that the linkage at the side of the trans ws moving along with the shifts, I couldn't find any proper procedures for doing so nor for adjusting the linkage to the trans but this is very helpful i appreciate it. I have limited resources mostly just google search and AllDataDIY which doesn't have as much helpful info compared to the shop Alldata which i am use to.
i Will be doing some more research on this for sure. I'm going to need to get my hands on a voltmeter this week also once i have some extra time on my hands
Old 09-18-17, 04:37 PM
cristianhr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
did you open up the PDF file and do any reading????? why do you think I put it in for??/ you just want someone to do it for you, I want you to get in there and read and think like yamae said...... think it over..
Never said I want someone to do anything for me here, I'm simply here asking for help from more experienced people than me and for helpful information and tips to guide me to the right direction. I am looking for helpful information or suggestions to help me do the work.

I did open the file but i just didn't understand what you were indicating with the picture of a circled solenoid and the pdf file. I already dropped the pan and checked the strainer and magnets and cleaned them up as i stated before.

Last edited by cristianhr; 09-18-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 04:43 PM
cristianhr
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=billydpowe;9985123]
Originally Posted by oldskewel
I'm curious too, Billy. You have a photo of the AT with the pan off. And a PDF on how to R+R the wiring harness with temp sensor. With no explanation.

OK, I am only trying to get him some help, and get him involved... I am 83 and I have a friend who is almost my age and he had a tranny shop in my city. He had a LS400 eating him up, pulling in reverse with no neutral and they replaced the harness and the ALL the solenoids out of another trans. trying to solve it and it worked.. he didnt know if it was one or the other, was just happy to have it fixed... so with modern eqpt you should be able to test the solenoids AND the wiring contacts and find the fault..
this was several years ago, and like me he forgets... BUT not trying to be smart.... just pointers, that chart of Yamae's should help..
I appreciate that, like I said I'm simply here to get some helpful information. and Yamae had a very valid point witch was something i was concerned about i just have been having trouble finding procedures for all of this on an ls400
Old 09-18-17, 06:36 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

[QUOTE=billydpowe;9985123]
Originally Posted by oldskewel
I'm curious too, Billy. You have a photo of the AT with the pan off. And a PDF on how to R+R the wiring harness with temp sensor. With no explanation.

OK, I am only trying to get him some help, and get him involved... I am 83 and I have a friend who is almost my age and he had a tranny shop in my city. He had a LS400 eating him up, pulling in reverse with no neutral and they replaced the harness and the ALL the solenoids out of another trans. trying to solve it and it worked.. he didnt know if it was one or the other, was just happy to have it fixed... so with modern eqpt you should be able to test the solenoids AND the wiring contacts and find the fault..
this was several years ago, and like me he forgets... BUT not trying to be smart.... just pointers, that chart of Yamae's should help..
That makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for following up with the supporting story and some details.

And combined with the specific table from Yamae ... cristianhr will need to find the corresponding one for the LS400, but Yamae's table should be a very good clue that a single solenoid failure could cause the multiple weird symptoms he's seeing = something interesting I learned here, which is why I read these things even when I don't have the specific problem (yet).
Old 09-18-17, 09:30 PM
Yamae

Received 892 Likes on 673 Posts

[QUOTE=cristianhr;9985312]
Originally Posted by billydpowe

I appreciate that, like I said I'm simply here to get some helpful information. and Yamae had a very valid point witch was something i was concerned about i just have been having trouble finding procedures for all of this on an ls400
So you understand what is behind your problem. I believe that a A340e uses the same solenoid table with a A650 except S4. Attached is wiring diagram for a JDM Celsior but a LS400 95-97 shares almost the same diagram.

Check the voltage and the continuity indicated by the red arrow which can be seen a bit left and upper part. It is the driving line from the ECU to AT solenoids. You also can find which pins and the connectors are related seeing the blue and the green arrows at the bottom part. Small red circles indicate the related pins.
Correction: Just disregard the red circles at pin 7 and 8 at right bottom corner. These are for another issue. In your case, pin 4 and 5 are related since these are connected to the solenoid S1.
Attached Thumbnails No reverse and Neutral drives forward-solenoids-drive-part.jpg  

Last edited by Yamae; 09-18-17 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-19-17, 09:15 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,271 Posts

He's saying test the solenoids.
They are the controlling entity here. Through the harness is best but direct is ok too. Ohms and 12v. Do they move? Same thing I mentioned.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-17, 05:03 AM
matthewwil
Driver School Candidate

Default Any Joy in fixing no reverse problem?

I have the exact same problem with my 01 GS430. All forward gears work; sometimes in initial drive high rev in 1st gear, but settles out in a few seconds. Neutral drives forward in 1st gear, Park actually seems to engage a forward gear just before the locking pawls engage so the is a jerk going into park. An additional thing is that even though there is no reverse, the reverse gear does seem to hold some forward "action"....when in reverse, I cannot push the car back, but when the engine is off, I can roll the car backward.

I have read the chart about the solenoids, but since all forward gears work fine, i THINK that means all solenoids do go off and on, otherwise the forward gears would have some kind of problem. I have read about checking the Park Neutral switch, but the car does only start in P and N, so not sure what else I would be checking with regards to the switch.

If the original poster would provide some solution/direction, I would appreciate it.

My next step might be what the 83yo mentioned and just put a whole different used valve body with solenoids in and see what happens, but that would be out of frustration rather than well thought out logic.

BTW first post so hope I got all the info in.
Old 11-11-17, 07:01 AM
Yamae

Received 892 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewwil
I have the exact same problem with my 01 GS430. All forward gears work; sometimes in initial drive high rev in 1st gear, but settles out in a few seconds. Neutral drives forward in 1st gear, Park actually seems to engage a forward gear just before the locking pawls engage so the is a jerk going into park. An additional thing is that even though there is no reverse, the reverse gear does seem to hold some forward "action"....when in reverse, I cannot push the car back, but when the engine is off, I can roll the car backward.

I have read the chart about the solenoids, but since all forward gears work fine, i THINK that means all solenoids do go off and on, otherwise the forward gears would have some kind of problem. I have read about checking the Park Neutral switch, but the car does only start in P and N, so not sure what else I would be checking with regards to the switch.

If the original poster would provide some solution/direction, I would appreciate it.

My next step might be what the 83yo mentioned and just put a whole different used valve body with solenoids in and see what happens, but that would be out of frustration rather than well thought out logic.

BTW first post so hope I got all the info in.
I'd check the solenoid S1 working properly measuring the resistance (should be around 11-16 ohms) first. If the resistance is OK,
I would drop the pan and check the S1 is stuck or not.
Old 11-13-17, 03:20 AM
matthewwil
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes all forward drive gears work. S1 solenoid?

yes, all forward drive gears work. There is a slight hesitation to upshift from first gear on initial drive of the day, but otherwise all forward/drive gears seem fine. The gears shift with a corresponding increase in speed and shift with drop in rpmsjust as it did before the reverse problem.

Shift linkage-I have assumed that the shift linkage is fine because the shifter can go from park all the way to 1, and the parking pawls engage in the park shifter position, and when shifted to 1 it begins and holds in 1st gear. Also the car will only start in the P or N shifter position. What other ways should I check the linkage?

S1 solenoid-I have seen the previous post in the thread about S1 not functioning, but since the other drive gears seem to be fine at road and highway speeds; I did not see the logic of the S1 being stuck because the drive gears go through the sequence, which involves S1 switching on and off. I will definitely check, but I just did not see how S1 could be the problem.

This week will be one of the last weeks I have to figure this out so I wanted to have a sequential plan to evaluate, and the proper way to evaluate.
Old 11-13-17, 04:26 AM
matthewwil
Driver School Candidate

Default Additional S1 logic

I am also trying to understand the logic. When my car shifter is in N, it drives forward in 1st gear and does not upshift. When in D the car advances through all the gears in proper sequence with an increase in speed and drop in rpm after each shift and advances through all the gears. Using the solenoid diagram, that would suggest the S1 solenoid is functioning. Is there some other concept that I am not understanding? I will absolutely check the S1 solenoid, but wanted to understand the logic as well. I do think it is electrical/solenoid related, but cant figure out the logic of a specific solenoid that allows all forward gears in D, but no reverse but hold in R, and 1st gear forward in N.and P.
Old 08-07-18, 02:04 PM
MyElly
Driver School Candidate

Default Help please

Long time admirer, 1st time owner. I recently purchased a '96 LS400 with no reverse, and neutral is also like a forward gear. I've got the same situation as described in this thread. I'm very limited in working with "newer" cars. The last transmission work that I did was swapping one out in my 75 Camaro quite a few years ago. I had a '97 4Runner for 16 years that never needed anything except regular maintenance. So if anybody can please give simple advice that may help I would greatly appreciate it. I live on a hill and can't get it in my driveway (no reverse) so I've not looked at the shift linkage. Not sure where the NSS switch is but I guess I can Google it. Really hoping to get it fixed for a reasonable price, not much money to spare. All forward gears seem to work just great. Thanks and have a great day!
Old 05-24-19, 10:22 AM
panocean
Driver School Candidate

i am having same problem in my lexus lx570 2013 truck is not in reverse when apply reverse gear
I was wondering if you have got any solution
Old 06-08-19, 06:16 AM
midasp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I would continue on this diag since many are having the same issue and nothing further has come thru. I have a 1999 LS400 with the same issue but in my case I have checked the computer and the board looks completely clean, Trans fluid has been changed along with the screen, continuity has been confirmed from the ecu harness to connectors of each solenoid and S1 and S3 are seeing voltage in park and reverse while S2 and S4 are off. It was mentioned on the forum somewhere that low lockup pressure could cause similar symptoms as was s1 and s3 being off. I plan on swapping the SLT solenoid but any other suggestions?
Old 06-09-19, 07:38 AM
AUK458
Driver School Candidate

I am facing the same problem on my recently purchased LS 400 2000 model year. Haven't been able to pin point as to where exactly the problem lies. Used a diag scanner but no codes as such.

Quick Reply: No reverse and Neutral drives forward