LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Beware: Aisin timing belt kit deficiency

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 05:41 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I had ZERO issues with my AISIN timing belt kit on my 97'. Stop spreading this misinformation. Why are you removing the belt after 50 miles? This isn't normal. It sounds like you didn't plan properly and are wasting twice the amount of labor. Also, do they claim you can use the timing marks multiple times? Installing the belt the first time for 90,000 miles should be the proper procedure had that major service been done correctly.
Some additional information...

Lexus parts pulled a tensioner bearing from their shelf and the exact same bearing P.N. as in Aisin kit....

The new bearing clearly had less side play than mine, however it still had some.

It is my position. It should have none.

The idler bearing does not demonstrate any play.

Was experiencing slight bearing noise in front of engine compartment.

All my serpentine belt driven accessories, brackets and bearings are like new..and removed belt to isolate the noise back to the timing belt components...which had been serviced we with the Aisin kit.

I inquired and was informed the tensioner bearing is a superceding P.N. because the original.was discontinued.

Superceding P.N.s have not always been improvements..

Not here to complain but perhaps someone with more information than me can explain this.

Thanks..
Old 09-20-19, 01:03 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am a mechnical engineer with a few decades of experience. A play free ballbearing in an assembled idler roller is not a good idea.
They have the best chance to last if they have a very small noticeable play. Then you know it is not to tight.
No play typically means that the bearing is tight due to the press fit and may get a shortened life. I have exchanged bearings for that reason alone.
It is a game of probabilities . Rule of thumb is that 50% of bearings survive 5 times as long duty as the worst 10% does.
Old 09-21-19, 08:57 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikaelse
I am a mechnical engineer with a few decades of experience. A play free ballbearing in an assembled idler roller is not a good idea.
They have the best chance to last if they have a very small noticeable play. Then you know it is not to tight.
No play typically means that the bearing is tight due to the press fit and may get a shortened life. I have exchanged bearings for that reason alone.
It is a game of probabilities . Rule of thumb is that 50% of bearings survive 5 times as long duty as the worst 10% does.
Acquired bearing experience representing a manufacturer of brushless D. C.. fans for cooling electronics where L 10 life (90% survival rate) was rated at 100,000 hours with ball bearings.

Noisier than sleeve bearings but considerably longer life.

This tensioner bearing has excessive play such that you can see the bearing seal discernibly crinkle when applying side pressure....

Right now the bearing is at Lexus...since it is the same bearing P.N. as Rock Auto, have requested they discuss the issue with Toyota...

A superceding part raises questions.

10,000 miles is too few for such loosening...and this bearing is probably the noise culprit.

Images of original.P.N. 1350550030:

Image of original tensioner pulley P.N. 13505-50030

Superceding P.N. appears on Lexus Dealer website...
135050F010# does not appear on Amayama website....This suggests the superceding part is not offered in Japan.

Last edited by YODAONE; 09-21-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 04:56 PM
lslimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
have requested they discuss the issue with Toyota...
Are there any news? Thanks.
Old 04-30-20, 11:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,221 Likes on 907 Posts

That's interesting, I may have to buy a Lexus belt and compare now. I will say though that you do not need marks to do a timing belt, in fact many cars do not have marked belts and customers very often choose very cheap stuff from dayco/gates and you have to simply install them correctly.

Ive not messed one up yet but I do prefer marked ones for my own car due to how easy it is.
Old 05-01-20, 07:41 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's interesting, I may have to buy a Lexus belt and compare now. I will say though that you do not need marks to do a timing belt, in fact many cars do not have marked belts and customers very often choose very cheap stuff from dayco/gates and you have to simply install them correctly.

Ive not messed one up yet but I do prefer marked ones for my own car due to how easy it is.
The spine appears different.

The markings on the Toyota marked belt last much longer.

Compare for yourself and share your findings.

Old 01-05-22, 01:35 PM
sidneyhop
Driver School Candidate

Wheres the best source for OEM a timing belt 'kit'? Ive called around to a few dealerships and they dont sell kits....just the parts separately. And they add up to more than twice what aftermarket kits are going for.
Old 01-05-22, 01:36 PM
sidneyhop
Driver School Candidate

The spine appears different.

The markings on the Toyota marked belt last much longer.

Compare for yourself and share your findings.
Wheres the best source for OEM a timing belt 'kit'? Ive called around to a few dealerships and they dont sell kits....just the parts separately. And they add up to more than twice what aftermarket kits are going for.
Old 01-05-22, 01:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,915 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Google Aisin TKT021 there is nothing wrong with the Mitsuboshi timing belt that comes with the Aisin kit.
Old 01-05-22, 02:47 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Google Aisin TKT021 there is nothing wrong with the Mitsuboshi timing belt that comes with the Aisin kit.
You purchased a new timing belt from Toyota/Lexus dealer and compared it side-by-side with the Aisin kit?

If so, please post an image.
Old 01-05-22, 02:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,915 Likes on 2,457 Posts

You purchased a new timing belt from Toyota/Lexus dealer and compared it side-by-side with the Aisin kit?

I've installed dozens of timing belts and kits using Toyota, Mitsuboshi, Gates, Dayco and others. What are you asking exactly?
Old 01-05-22, 03:44 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've installed dozens of timing belts and kits using Toyota, Mitsuboshi, Gates, Dayco and others. What are you asking exactly?
Have you read this post in it's entirety?

Old 01-05-22, 03:48 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Just as an update, I installed that Aisin TKT021 kit on my 98 in 2014. 40k miles later, zero issues.
Old 01-06-22, 03:09 AM
sidneyhop
Driver School Candidate

Out of all the parts that are included in the Aisin kit, which are the most critical or prone to failure? Im tempted to buy the belt and maybe the water pump from the dealer to be sure theyre 100% OEM toyota.
Old 01-06-22, 10:27 AM
sidneyhop
Driver School Candidate

I was talking with a lexus dealer earlier and he said they source their parts from a variety of manufacturers. Aisin being one. Looking at the pics above, where can I get ahold of one of the green printed Toyota belts? I dont want to order one from a dealer and it turn out to be a Aisin one I could have gotten a lot cheaper online.

Quick Reply: Beware: Aisin timing belt kit deficiency