LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 1st gen: heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 11:30 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Condition of Cabin Air Filter?

Check that cable to water control valve (on upper middle firewall) moves when heat is turned on...
I replaced with Lexus part and it does not move when i turn heat on..... but closes when i turn cold on.
Old 10-30-17, 10:12 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

The aftermarket hoses are leaking slightly.... mechanic told me the aftermarket hose should be in metric.....also i am not getting heat still, whether the water control valve is open or not....lol
Old 10-31-17, 04:00 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
The aftermarket hoses are leaking slightly.... mechanic told me the aftermarket hose should be in metric.....also i am not getting heat still, whether the water control valve is open or not....lol
The LS400 does not respond well to most aftermarket parts.

Highly unlikely that Javier at McGrath Lexus would recommend any of this...

Observe you are using worm gear clamps (overtorqued?) instead of OEM constant tension clamps. These parts store clamps are fixed inner diameter and so do not adequately expand/contract in order to maintain constant pressure/contact between hose and (plastic...) valve fittings with temperature fluctuation.
Constant pressure aftermarket clamps are available from more reputable truck parts stores for about $15 -$20 apiece.

Uninstall the non-metric thin-walled parts store hose and return to Lexus and order correct formed hoses (that do not kink at bends) before they fail.and overheat your engine.

Order also correct OEM hose clamps.

Aak someone knowledgeable, such as Toyota orr Lexus dealer, about products to clean up the red sediment build-up in your picture...

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-31-17 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 09:53 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The LS400 does not respond well to most aftermarket parts.

Highly unlikely that Javier at McGrath Lexus would recommend any of this...

Observe you are using worm gear clamps (overtorqued?) instead of OEM constant tension clamps. These parts store clamps are fixed inner diameter and so do not adequately expand/contract in order to maintain constant pressure/contact between hose and (plastic...) valve fittings with temperature fluctuation.
Constant pressure aftermarket clamps are available from more reputable truck parts stores for about $15 -$20 apiece.

Uninstall the non-metric thin-walled parts store hose and return to Lexus and order correct formed hoses (that do not kink at bends) before they fail.and overheat your engine.

Order also correct OEM hose clamps.

Aak someone knowledgeable, such as Toyota orr Lexus dealer, about products to clean up the red sediment build-up in your picture...
hey thanks.....Javier did not recommend to use aftermarket hose and clamps. That was my groundbreaking cost cutting move.....lol. I ordered hoses from Lexus this time and i will change the clamps.
Old 05-21-20, 08:07 AM
Idrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Valve broken

my have water out