LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS400 Injection Connector Wiring Color Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 05:31 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1998 LS400 Injection Connector Wiring Color Advice

My injection connector locking tab broke during the valve cover gasket replacement. In a haste I forgot to take a picture of the wiring orientation before I took out the connector housing. Can someone tell me how the wires should be oriented for the passenger side connector closest to the front as pictured (you can see the wires without the housing in this picture)? One wire is black and other wire is black with red stripe. What confused me is the connector locking tab faces towards the bottom and all I remember is "black wire on top" but forgot how housing connector was oriented...yes stupid mistake.

When I checked the wiring for all other injector connector on passenger side, the black wire with red stripe are on the side closer to the firewall when connected.
Any help is appreciated.

Question is the one without the housing connector. When connected, should the black wire with red stripe closer to the firewall and black wire closer to the front?

Last edited by TakaM; 11-05-17 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 10:43 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
My injection connector locking tab broke during the valve cover gasket replacement. In a haste I forgot to take a picture of the wiring orientation before I took out the connector housing. Can someone tell me how the wires should be oriented for the passenger side connector closest to the front as pictured (you can see the wires without the housing in this picture)? One wire is black and other wire is black with red stripe. What confused me is the connector locking tab faces towards the bottom and all I remember is "black wire on top" but forgot how housing connector was oriented...yes stupid mistake.

When I checked the wiring for all other injector connector on passenger side, the black wire with red stripe are on the side closer to the firewall when connected.
Any help is appreciated.

Question is the one without the housing connector. When connected, should the black wire with red stripe closer to the firewall and black wire closer to the front?
Attached is engine wiring diagram...

Best practice when replacing plastic connector shells is as you remove individual contacts, immediately insert into new shell (indexed and orientated of course)

You should be able to determine correct wiring orientation because one of the pair on all 8 injectors is "B-R" (black - red) and they are all on left or right as you look from left or right bank engine side.

Attached are engine wiring diagrams.

Old 11-05-17, 11:04 AM
TakaM
Driver

Thank you YODAONE!

It is the injector #2 that I was trying to figure out.
I figured the black/red wire is all on the same side so I will copy the orientation shown on the picture for injector #4 (black/red wire closer to firewall once connected).

Yes, the plan was for me to replace the housing immediately (hence didn't take picture) but the Denso housing I got requires the pins to be replaced as well and I didn't have the proper crimper, hence the dilemma I got into.
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks again.
Old 11-05-17, 11:23 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thank you YODAONE!

It is the injector #2 that I was trying to figure out.
I figured the black/red wire is all on the same side so I will copy the orientation shown on the picture for injector #4 (black/red wire closer to firewall once connected).

Yes, the plan was for me to replace the housing immediately (hence didn't take picture) but the Denso housing I got requires the pins to be replaced as well and I didn't have the proper crimper, hence the dilemma I got into.
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks again.
Unless the contacts are damaged, you do not have to replace them....

There are internal locking lances on connector pins that are released using a probe or safety pin to lift locking mechanism.

Once released and extracted, the contacts will insert and lock into new connector shell.

See attached diagrams

This diagram depicts how contacts are released from plastic housings....

Do not use pigtails (splice and crimp) as this is bad practice.

If still unsure, ask someone with experience to assist.
Old 11-05-17, 04:57 PM
TakaM
Driver

Thanks YodaOne. I've replaced connector housing before. Yes the pin will remain in place and I doubt the housing/connector will get loose with the top locking tab but the housing did crumble a bit when I tugged it off. Can't blame the plastic housing since it's almost 20 years old in the hot engine bay.
I will replace the housing correctly by crimping the new pins into the new housing (no pigtail with crimp connector or soldering).
Probably too paranoid but since all of these connectors resides under the engine cover and I am doing other things like timing belt change, I just wanted to make sure this stupid housing connector would not be the one causing engine misfire.

Thanks again for all your info and help.