LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front center and rear center crossmember braces

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 04:18 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Front center and rear center crossmember braces

While improving fasteners for transmission (center body) crossmember, I had a look at the front center crossmember brace and rear center crossmember brace...

Neither offers the rigidity of the transmission crossmember nor fasteners that qualify.

For the front I envision either boxing in the open area by welding in a plate, or fabricating a solid 3/4" Aluminum or Metal brace and using custom shoulder bolts to improve lateral support and prevent shifting.

Boxing makes a stronger brace & also prevents them from distorting from twisting action imparted on.the chassis. from acceleration, deceleration, turning and suspension activity.

Thicker material of course adds weight but is more amenable to shoulder bolts.

Front center crossmember brace...a little on light side. Improvement to be had here...If my design, to increase chassis rigidity , I would have triangulated the entire length of the open drive shaft tunnel with a plate.
Rear center crossmember brace presents a different challenge in that it is held in place by chassis studs and washer head nuts incorporating integral spring washer bottom flange..so can't readily use significantly thicker material.. Probably will resort to boxxing in the bracket to increase rigidity, or if using plate steel or aluminum will.use Shoulder bolts with female threads...not sure of stud strength however.

Last edited by YODAONE; 11-19-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 10:37 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
While improving fasteners for transmission (center body) crossmember, I had a look at the front center crossmember brace and rear center crossmember brace...

Neither offers the rigidity of the transmission crossmember nor fasteners that qualify.

For tloohe front I envision either boxing in the open area by welding in a plate, or fabricating a solid 3/4" Aluminum or Metal brace and using custom shoulder bolts to improve lateral support and prevent shifting.

Boxing makes a stronger brace & also prevents them from distorting from twisting action imparted on.the chassis. from acceleration, deceleration, turning and suspension activity.

Thicker material of course adds weight but is more amenable to shoulder bolts.

Front center crossmember brace...a little on light side. Improvement to be had here...If my design, to increase chassis rigidity , I would have triangulated the entire length of the open drive shaft tunnel with a plate.
Rear center crossmember brace presents a different challenge in that it is held in place by chassis studs and washer head nuts incorporating integral spring washer bottom flange..so can't readily use significantly thicker material.. Probably will resort to boxxing in the bracket to increase rigidity, or if using plate steel or aluminum will.use Shoulder bolts with female threads...not sure of stud strength however.
Removed the front center brace for inspection...

It is held in place by four zinc-plated 8-1.25 X 20 bolts...with captive lockwasher/ washer....

A removable bridge holds weld nuts in place and inserts into chassis recess above.

The brace accomplishes a lot for its size but I am able to twist it several degrees in torsion with my bare hands, so chassis flex is probably able to impart even more.

The goal is to increase torsional rigidity of the brace simply boxing in the channel by welding a piece of similar gauge steel across the entire span.

If I box area over bolt holes then may use spacers welded in place beneath where bolts would clamp over the new bottom plate.

Front-center brace....Toyota did a lot with little...boxing in the channel with a formed plate will significantly increase resistance to twisting..
This is nut brace that slips and clips into chassis...M8-1.25 nuts...in the existing chassis mount, there is no room to go to M10 nut.

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-22-18 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 05:09 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

won't you increase NVH if you increase rigidity? Not to mention add weight and complexity when you have to service surrounding components?
Old 02-26-18, 04:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Tom's Japan (discontinued) and Ultra Racing (Malaysia) sell full sets of underbody chassis bracing for the LS400, including the components you've listed. Tested and known to fit reasonably well.
Old 02-28-18, 04:48 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Removed the front center brace for inspection...

It is held in place by four zinc-plated 8-1.25 X 20 bolts...with captive lockwasher/ washer....

A removable bridge holds weld nuts in place and inserts into chassis recess above.

The brace accomplishes a lot for its size but I am able to twist it several degrees in torsion with my bare hands, so chassis flex is probably able to impart even more.

The goal is to increase torsional rigidity of the brace simply boxing in the channel by welding a piece of similar gauge steel across the entire span.

If I box area over bolt holes then may use spacers welded in place beneath where bolts would clamp over the new bottom plate.

Front-center brace....Toyota did a lot with little...boxing in the channel with a formed plate will significantly increase resistance to twisting..
This is nut brace that slips and clips into chassis...M8-1.25 nuts...in the existing chassis mount, there is no room to go to M10 nut.
Here is the finished product..

Stainless steel plate used to box in the channel.
Sideview depicticting curvature of brace and excellent welding job...
Prior to reinforcement I was able to twist a few degrees with my bare hands...now not at all

For optimum results, welding metal.spacers over through holes and weldimg a metal plate across the entire span
Old 03-01-18, 04:33 PM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

wow what a great job! how much did this cost you? or you did it yourself?
Old 03-01-18, 06:31 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wow what a great job! how much did this cost you? or you did it yourself?
$60..employed an architectural sheet metal fabrication supplier who made it look pretty.
Old 03-02-18, 09:54 AM
timmy0tool

superb job he did! nicely priced too.
Old 03-02-18, 12:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you paint it? If not it is just something to rust.
So I guess you would agree that the Lexus engineers did not know much. So why didn't they originally do that to that part? If it was necessary you'd think they would have made improvements.
Old 03-02-18, 01:23 PM
timmy0tool

well the part is channeled to prevent some twisting. I'm sure it comes down to manufacturing cost since they have to make so many.
Old 03-02-18, 02:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
Did you paint it? If not it is just something to rust.
So I guess you would agree that the Lexus engineers did not know much. So why didn't they originally do that to that part? If it was necessary you'd think they would have made improvements.
It will be painted.....

It is a mass produced part in a mass production vehicle...

For an engineered stamping it achieves good rigidity, but boxxing the U channel puts the ribbon on the package.

Will.work on rear brace next...
Old 03-02-18, 03:56 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice welding job and all but, in my opinion, there is no way that adds any rigidity to anything. To me the most important part of those parts is to keep the driveshaft from pole vaulting the car if they were to come disconnected.
Old 03-03-18, 04:52 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Nice welding job and all but, in my opinion, there is no way that adds any rigidity to anything. To me the most important part of those parts is to keep the driveshaft from pole vaulting the car if they were to come disconnected.
It spans to support and brace the open driveshaft tunnel

Probably also serves to hold driveshaft in place should it break free... although not sure for how long...

Replacement hardware acquired from McMaster-Carr. ..M8-1.25X20 grade 10.9 JIS Zinc plated
Old 03-28-18, 06:32 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Repair manual depicting component as "Front Center Floor Crossmember brace...

A few images of Rear Center Floor Crossmember Brace

Rear Center Floor Crossmember Brace is made of aluminium and twists much easier than steel Front Center Floor Crossmember Brace.. While 3 mounting holes on each side, only two are used... Will box brace to increase rigidity.

The surface is shiny where mounting nuts clamp surface indicating movement..When extracting brace (rear wheels on ramps) it shifted slightly while removing nuts, suggesting it is not only there to restrain a broken driveshaft. Would replace it with a steel brace but body studs are flimsy.
Old 04-06-18, 08:24 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Rear center brace boxxed

Rear Center brace boxxed....

Significant increase in torsional rigidity.

Fantastic quality fabrication work performed by Vector Fabricating in Chicago...

Several other parts on the chassis would respond well to boxxing..

Vector Fabricating performed the artwork.

A close-up....can't really tell it was welded. Will primer and paint body color before reinstallation.

Quick Reply: Front center and rear center crossmember braces