LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls430 engine cover on ls400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 11:51 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
Another great write-up Yoda! But can I mod the cover to fit my older non-vvti motors? I'd love to put that fancy looking cover on all of them!
1998 - 2000 LS400 and 2001-2006 LS430 have same intake manifold so it is a matter of using stock LS430 engine cover brackets (the right rear LS430 bracket may require modification)

Series 1990-1997 LS400 will.require 100 % bracket fabrication....provided there is necessary engine compartment clearance for an LS430 engine cover.

On an interim basis you could borrow or inexpensively acquire an engine cover from 1998 -2000 LS400 to check approximate fitment...

A pick n pull yard may have an inexpensive LS430 cover, but less likely. You will require all 4 engine cover mounting brackets.
Old 04-10-19, 11:43 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

you need a car that breaks down more often, the LS is too reliable so you keep getting bored and thinking of these side projects to do lol

i mean seriously... the amount of noise difference made by changing the engine cover might be noticeable if the hood is open and your ear is right next to the manifold, but will be completely indistinguishable while you're driving

also now your car is dishonest going around saying 4.3 on it
Old 04-11-19, 06:17 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
you need a car that breaks down more often, the LS is too reliable so you keep getting bored and thinking of these side projects to do lol

i mean seriously... the amount of noise difference made by changing the engine cover might be noticeable if the hood is open and your ear is right next to the manifold, but will be completely indistinguishable while you're driving

also now your car is dishonest going around saying 4.3 on it
This is but one of the sound/vibration attenuating items Toyota employed in the LS series evolution.

The LS430 parts bin has provided inspiration for several engineered upgrades for our LS400; 130A hairpin Alternator, the water inlet housing, improved sound damping and sound attenuating upgrades

Numerous sound and vibration. attenuating upgrades evolved the LS430.

Some upgrades are more incremental than others, but ultimately add up to what distinguished this automobile from most others of their time.

On this forum encounter "why didn't the factory do that?", so applying and presenting ideas that the factory adopted focuses attention on the improvement at hand.

Haven't decided how to handle engine cover badging....eithet install a 3UZ-FE engine or remove the raised 4.3. ...

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-11-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-13-19, 10:44 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
This is but one of the sound/vibration attenuating items Toyota employed in the LS series evolution.

The LS430 parts bin has provided inspiration for several engineered upgrades for our LS400; 130A hairpin Alternator, the water inlet housing, improved sound damping and sound attenuating upgrades

Numerous sound and vibration. attenuating upgrades evolved the LS430.

Some upgrades are more incremental than others, but ultimately add up to what distinguished this automobile from most others of their time.

On this forum encounter "why didn't the factory do that?", so applying and presenting ideas that the factory adopted focuses attention on the improvement at hand.

Haven't decided how to handle engine cover badging....eithet install a 3UZ-FE engine or remove the raised 4.3. ...
This goes along with my plans for "updating" my 97 Coach. That's why I love mods like this. I'm all for fabricating new mounts for a better cover.

I already answered this for myself and will probably employ a Dremel to remove and then buff out the badge. Maybe a heat gun and tinfoil to add back texture if necessary.

But I like your solution of the 3U-FE swap. Much more practical.
Old 04-13-19, 09:14 PM
borgey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Yes.

Tthe LS430 cover does not have a center cutout, so no longer hear the intake there.

The underside of the LS430 cover is more fully covered with sound absorbing material...and it is a heavier and more rigid cover..it feels like damping panels topside.

The LS430 cover dispenses with the two rear fasteners by substituting rubber ball and spring clip socket (under cover) to further dampen.

In comparison, the LS400 cover just resonates.

The LS430 cover is a more effective sound barrier/absorber...and engine vibration damping component.

It is best practice to isolate noise and, or, vibration as close to the source as possible.

With an engine as smooth and quiet as the 1UZ-FE, undistinguishable noises on other vehicles, are readily discerned on the LS400.

Our fuel injectors generate considerable noise...and am working on ways to more fully sound isolate at the source..

Once you quiet one thing, another's sound appears.

The LS430 cover design provides space underneath which directs airflow over the top of the intake manifold, instead of blocking it....so cooling is enhanced.

To put the ribbon on the package, am considering painting the silver colored portion of the cover with body color paint. and clear coat .
Mine is jade pearl.siver so won't have to endure space man silver...but first have to sort out whether Automotive touch-up brand paint is compatible with the plastic cover.
This came at exactly the right time. I have a 3uz ready to go into my 98 LS but wanted to try out the cover on my 1uz to see how I like it. Good work, Yodaone
Old 04-18-19, 11:16 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

If anyone is curious I just measured the decibel at idle with the cover off vs with the cover on (LS430). The car idles 3db quieter from a foot off of the engine with the cover on.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (04-18-19)
Old 06-24-20, 06:49 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Painting engine cover body color

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ne-covers.html

Not sure what I'm going to do with spare LS430 engine cover

Cover in transition to Jade Pearl Silver. Center section is masked and clear coat to be applied