LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone ever do any Ski Trips in there LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 08:22 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone ever do any Ski Trips in there LS400?

Hello,
So I know I made a post a long time about about roof racks for the LS400 and it turns out there are none, however I am wondering if anyone has taken there LS400 to a ski resort? If so how did you store the skis, and how was the snow conditions driving up there? I am thinking about going to Flagstaff to ski and since the snow conditions are not the best (So far most of the snow is man made :/ ) the roads are clear to go up. Just curious, in normal snow conditions how well did your LS400 handled the snowy roads? I got a 1996 so I don't have traction control. I got all season tiers on with a lot of tread left.
Old 12-09-17, 10:30 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 1999 LS400, I can fit skis up to 160 in the trunk, 156 easy 160 if you flex skis a bit to make them fit.
I live in Aspen and have winter tires in winter, and VSC
Old 12-10-17, 07:17 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by valex
I have 1999 LS400, I can fit skis up to 160 in the trunk, 156 easy 160 if you flex skis a bit to make them fit.
Yes, 160 cm skis were the absolute longest I could squeeze into the trunk of my 2000 LS400.

Ah ... Aspen. Our favorite ski destination. We stayed at the Gant for four or five days at a time at least twice each ski season for about the last 10 years we skied. My wife told me that I had a nice stay in Aspen Valley Hospital on my very last ski trip although I don't remember much about it - my only serious crash in 30 years of skiing ... first time using a brand new helmet which may have saved my life. The helmet company replaced it for free!

I can't imagine driving any LS400 on snow without heavy duty winter tires. The 90 LS400 I drove through 13 winters was scary even with winter tires - I think it was Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 I was using when I sold the car in 2003. It didn't have traction control but I doubt that it would have helped much.

The 2000 LS400 I drove through 11 winters was wonderful and even fun to drive on snow - was using Blizzak WS70 winter tires when I sold the car in 2013. I often drove the car very hard on snow until the VSC alarm beeped and VSC intervened to put the car back on course. The "snow" transmission setting helped a lot. Traction control probably helped but I often had to turn it off to rock the car out of deep snow. ABS in the 2000 was more effective than ABS in the 1990.

Here is a link to a past thread showing me test fitting my Yakima cross bars to the 2000 LS400 although I never used it to carry skis on the 2000: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...roof-rack.html

I remember carrying my 200 cm skis in the interior of my 2000 LS400 at least once on a short trip across town when no one else was in the car with me.. I had them in a ski sleeve to keep them from damaging the interior and probably used padding at the points they contacted interior components.

The first thing I do when I buy a vehicle is to buy an extra set of wheels and winter tires. The tread of the Blizzak WS80 I currently have on the Sienna are now down to less than 6/32" so I ordered a new set of WS80 two days ago at Costco under the current Bridgestone $70 off promotion.
Old 12-10-17, 09:38 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, I fit longer than 160 skis inside, have to put a towel or blanket to protect the front armrest and side and seat cushion of passenger seat.
I don't ski enough to justify buying a ski rack
I know of only 4 other LS's in our valley, they are pretty rare here, people don't think of RWD cars as good for our climate and amount of snow we get. But with dedicated snow tires, they are OK, as good as FWD cars, if not better, provided the Blizzaks are fresh, usually three winters are max, 4th is sketchy...

Last edited by valex; 12-10-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-11-17, 11:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The lack of roof rack options is the biggest limiting factor on using the LS for ski/snow trips. A good set of snow tires makes all the difference.
Old 12-13-17, 09:13 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got Yakima racks on my '91 right now. Put them on shortly after getting this car about 10 years ago. No problems. Let me know if you want some details. I can't imagine going on a ski trip without racks.

Rocket Box is key for ski trips regardless of vehicle - so easy to just throw skis + boards in there at the end of the day and leave them in there unseen by anyone else until you need them the next day.

Snow performance of the LS400 is not so good. I've tried to get away with the cable chains, and they will sort of work, but not especially good. Real chains do a lot better. The main problem is that the rear end is so light. Adding some ballast back there will help.
Old 12-13-17, 05:13 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
The main problem is that the rear end is so light. Adding some ballast back there will help.
I put my big ol summer tool box in the back. Helps, but don't forget that all of that mass turns into unwelcome inertia once you are sliding . . .
There is no such thing as blowing money on good winter tires.
Colin
Old 12-13-17, 05:46 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

We just got a crap ton of snow here in Michigan. My first time driving in snow with my Bridgestone Blizzaks.....its pretty fun kicking the rear end out. I'm from AZ so this is all new to me

Old 12-14-17, 08:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I've got Yakima racks on my '91 right now. Put them on shortly after getting this car about 10 years ago. No problems. Let me know if you want some details. I can't imagine going on a ski trip without racks.

Rocket Box is key for ski trips regardless of vehicle - so easy to just throw skis + boards in there at the end of the day and leave them in there unseen by anyone else until you need them the next day.

Snow performance of the LS400 is not so good. I've tried to get away with the cable chains, and they will sort of work, but not especially good. Real chains do a lot better. The main problem is that the rear end is so light. Adding some ballast back there will help.
Should have specified, the lack of rack options is for the 2nd gen (95-00) ls400s. Yakima/Thule/Sportrack all don't make one that fits the 20 chassis, and per their respective CS departments the UCF1x roof is different enough for it not to work.
Old 12-29-17, 09:42 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Yes, 160 cm skis were the absolute longest I could squeeze into the trunk of my 2000 LS400.

Ah ... Aspen. Our favorite ski destination. We stayed at the Gant for four or five days at a time at least twice each ski season for about the last 10 years we skied. My wife told me that I had a nice stay in Aspen Valley Hospital on my very last ski trip although I don't remember much about it - my only serious crash in 30 years of skiing ... first time using a brand new helmet which may have saved my life. The helmet company replaced it for free!

I can't imagine driving any LS400 on snow without heavy duty winter tires. The 90 LS400 I drove through 13 winters was scary even with winter tires - I think it was Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 I was using when I sold the car in 2003. It didn't have traction control but I doubt that it would have helped much.

The 2000 LS400 I drove through 11 winters was wonderful and even fun to drive on snow - was using Blizzak WS70 winter tires when I sold the car in 2013. I often drove the car very hard on snow until the VSC alarm beeped and VSC intervened to put the car back on course. The "snow" transmission setting helped a lot. Traction control probably helped but I often had to turn it off to rock the car out of deep snow. ABS in the 2000 was more effective than ABS in the 1990.

Here is a link to a past thread showing me test fitting my Yakima cross bars to the 2000 LS400 although I never used it to carry skis on the 2000: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...roof-rack.html

I remember carrying my 200 cm skis in the interior of my 2000 LS400 at least once on a short trip across town when no one else was in the car with me.. I had them in a ski sleeve to keep them from damaging the interior and probably used padding at the points they contacted interior components.

The first thing I do when I buy a vehicle is to buy an extra set of wheels and winter tires. The tread of the Blizzak WS80 I currently have on the Sienna are now down to less than 6/32" so I ordered a new set of WS80 two days ago at Costco under the current Bridgestone $70 off promotion.
Yes, I fit longer than 160 skis inside, have to put a towel or blanket to protect the front armrest and side and seat cushion of passenger seat.
I don't ski enough to justify buying a ski rack
I know of only 4 other LS's in our valley, they are pretty rare here, people don't think of RWD cars as good for our climate and amount of snow we get. But with dedicated snow tires, they are OK, as good as FWD cars, if not better, provided the Blizzaks are fresh, usually three winters are max, 4th is sketchy...
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The lack of roof rack options is the biggest limiting factor on using the LS for ski/snow trips. A good set of snow tires makes all the difference.

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
I put my big ol summer tool box in the back. Helps, but don't forget that all of that mass turns into unwelcome inertia once you are sliding . . .
There is no such thing as blowing money on good winter tires.
Colin
Originally Posted by Losiracer2
We just got a crap ton of snow here in Michigan. My first time driving in snow with my Bridgestone Blizzaks.....its pretty fun kicking the rear end out. I'm from AZ so this is all new to me

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Should have specified, the lack of rack options is for the 2nd gen (95-00) ls400s. Yakima/Thule/Sportrack all don't make one that fits the 20 chassis, and per their respective CS departments the UCF1x roof is different enough for it not to work.

Ok well seeing that I can only fit 160's in the trunk I got 163's lol. I will probably get a ski bag and put them in the cabin. I fell for snow usually the roads in AZ are open dry unless it is snowing. I got some all season tires with a lot of tread left.
Old 12-31-17, 08:27 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

i've taken mine to mount snow in VT before, and i was JUST able to fit my skis diagonally in the trunk, i forget their exact size but it's in the 170 region. there was some snow on the road but not too much, and even with blizzak ws80s i still had to get a bit of a running start to get up a hill lol... a good set of snow tires is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM if you even consider taking the LS in the snow

i don't really ever use the LS in winter conditions now since i have the far crappier crown vic to use in the snow and salty roads, and i swapped a limited slip diff into the vic so with snow tires and some weight in the trunk it's actually pretty awesome in the snow
Old 08-06-21, 01:33 PM
sandrahofi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I think it's possible to do this, I was at one of the ski resorts and there was a guy who installed one on his car.
Old 08-06-21, 07:22 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Downhill ski trips, just not in a Lexus

I do not believe LS400's were designed for downhill ski trips...
Old 08-06-21, 11:25 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I don't have much to comment on this thread beyond this:

So I have snow tires on my LS. Currently Michelin X-ice or Snow Xi3 I forget, whichever one is the new model they just came out with. Honestly? Traction control is not exactly useless, but it has a lot of exceptions.

The car grips in the corners like a billy goat, there is no problem at all. The tires have amazing lateral grip and the front has SO much more grip than all-seasons to prevent you from washing out or the rear stepping out at higher speeds. But linear grip, as in acceleration? That's a lot more... tricky.

There are certain situations where I get better traction by having the systems off and manually managing the throttle so that there is maybe 5mph of wheelspin perpetually. Mainly involving going up hills. The traction control system is quite old and rudimentary, and is too conservative in how aggressively it cuts power. This means (napkin math warning) that on average, only about 80% of the grip is actually being deployed. Vs. when I'm managing it manually with the system off, I can keep it pegged at 100% because wheelspin = you are asking for more grip than is available and thus you are using all available grip. With the systems on, it detects wheelspin, bogs the wheelspeed and as far as I can tell really over-corrects and keeps it below the maximum level of grip so you're never accelerating as hard as you could be.

It would also help a ton if the car had a tighter diff so that you don't just spin the inside wheel, but alas.

This being said, I wish there was a way to leave stability control on while disabling traction control. Because the switch disables both. So you have no magic hand to save you if the back end swings around. The conditions have to be pretty rough, but I will disable the systems if I find myself coming up to a hill and want to maximize the performance of the vehicle.

That's just my 2 cents. The car isn't really a very good snow car. Around corners? I'm constantly amazed at how much front end grip there is. But I've had a lot of situations that even with some of the best snow tires money can buy, accelerating away from a light was... close.

p.s. turning the systems off is dangerous, yada yada. It's fun, but understand the risks and understand the different skillset that is needed if you do so. Every year in every car I've ever owned, I've gone and practiced drifting in a empty parking lot so that if it ever happens on the road in an emergency situation, I have intuition and experience to fallback onto.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 08-06-21 at 11:34 PM.