LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

vibrating / resonating noise after suspension movement '99

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 02:35 AM
GeenIdee
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default vibrating / resonating noise after suspension movement '99

Hey guys,

I've got a vibrating / resonating noise assumable from the rear, triggered by suspension movement. This can occur at road imperfections and sometimes if there is a "smooth bump" in the road.

It feels like it is not during any movement, but more like it get triggered by it and the sound stays no longer then 1 second unless triggered again.

Has anyone had this before? I couldn't find anything like it just yet.

I haven't been able to have a look underneath just yet, but I have lifted all wheels from the ground. I did notice a little play in the rear wheels moving them up and down, but not moving them sideways. Thing is though, I believe I have felt this the last time I did a check on the car but the current issue started recently.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks
Old 01-10-18, 09:19 AM
OsLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing but the suspension isn’t worn out. I bet it’s a bushing somewhere. Looking forward to others responses.
Old 01-17-18, 12:57 PM
GeenIdee
Driver

Had a look underneath the car, couldn't see any odd things.

I did notice that around 50mph the sound / feeling is somewhere in the background (on higher speeds I can no longer hear it because of other noise) and intensifies on bumps in the roads like I described on my first post.

I do not here anything weird at 20 though
Old 01-17-18, 02:13 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GeenIdee
Hey guys,

I've got a vibrating / resonating noise assumable from the rear, triggered by suspension movement. This can occur at road imperfections and sometimes if there is a "smooth bump" in the road.

It feels like it is not during any movement, but more like it get triggered by it and the sound stays no longer then 1 second unless triggered again.

Has anyone had this before? I couldn't find anything like it just yet.

I haven't been able to have a look underneath just yet, but I have lifted all wheels from the ground. I did notice a little play in the rear wheels moving them up and down, but not moving them sideways. Thing is though, I believe I have felt this the last time I did a check on the car but the current issue started recently.
Sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks
Can you narrow down the frequency of this vibration/resonance? A wheel imbalance at 60 mph, for example, is about 800 hertz. A driveshaft imbalance is about 2,500 hertz, a low drone. Exhaust system resonance just from the entire system bobbing up and down briefly loading up the rubber hangers will have a higher resonance at the above speed and will change with load on the engine. Imbalanced wheels can do a brief half-to-one second "tramp" after a bump when you suffer from lousy rear shock absorbers . . . but I can't quite grok what you are describing here.
Colin
Old 01-24-18, 12:12 PM
GeenIdee
Driver

Well I can't really say how much hertz the sound is no. I have never heard of such a question before..

And yes, it is really hard to describe. I believe I have heard a resonance before that came close, and that was a rear hatch that wasn't closed properly. Thats the closest I think I can get about the sound it self. It is a low drone but that's all I have to describe.

I'm also not sure if a microphone can pick it up while driving.
The following users liked this post:
OsLS400 (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 06:32 PM
OsLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same “drone” sound as well. I have read in other post about such noises and the final response was “turn the radio up” . Since I don’t have a lot of coin that’s been my remedy. But if somebody has an answer my interest is peaked.
Old 07-31-18, 06:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Have to be honest, the dealer stated upon a multipoint that I absolutely needed LCA bushings. So I bought them and had a indie install. Indie said they doubted I would feel any difference, and I did not. I was one of the people (I'm not the only one but we seem to be the minority) who saw zero benefit to the change, even though they were visibly cracked. Not the end of the world as they are a physical wear item, cost at the time $130 on eBay for OE, and I paid around $290 labor. So no big deal,

If I were a betting man I would guess they would not solve your steering issue, UNLESS these are torn--there are YouTubes where on Maximas, a person grabs the arm and moves it by hand--there the bushing replacement will absolutely correct a problem....point being even when the dealer said my bushings were shot, my steering had zero movement/play. There have to be a ton of rubber items, tie rods, ball joints, etc. that could cause an issue...good luck!
Old 07-31-18, 06:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by OsLS400
I have the same “drone” sound as well. I have read in other post about such noises and the final response was “turn the radio up” . Since I don’t have a lot of coin that’s been my remedy. But if somebody has an answer my interest is peaked.
I slapped snow tires on my car inside of 2 mos. of getting it, then noticed an annoying and loud drone...convinced myself it was the rear diff. It really turned out to be the tires. I just didn't know my car well enough before putting the loud snows on....maybe tire related?