LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car not blowing heat at idle also random temperature spikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18 | 06:43 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

If you fan clutch is bad, then it will make a load roar when cold. I would only go with an AISIN fan clutch as I had an aftermarket one on mine and it failed by locking up and being on the entire time, making that loud roar anytime the engine was running, at idle or at 2500rpm. When your engine is cold, you should be able to spin the fan and it should turn about 3/4 of a turn or so with some fluid resistance from the hydraulic clutch. If it doesn't spin at all or is hard to turn, the clutch is bad.

But as for the coolant bleeding, you want to remove that 17mm fill bolt, put a funnel directly into it and fill it up with coolant with the engine on until it starts overflowing when running. Also fill up the reservoir completely to the top of the cap. Then reinstall the fill bolt and run engine at 2500rpm for 5 min straight to get it hot with the heater turned to high.

After you've done this, shut the engine off and let it cool down. The engine will draw in coolant from the reservoir as it cools. When you return, add coolant if it has sucked some down to the MAX level and reinstall the radiator cap on the reservoir. For the next couple times when the engine cools, and before you do a cold start, check the level and fill as needed on the reservoir and reinstall the cap. Its a longer process than most cars, but this is the only way to do it.

You could probably wait 30 min after you shut the car off for the engine to cool and it should start sucking in coolant, then repeat. It took me about an hour and a half to do it properly and for me to feel comfortable that the coolant was sucked in properly after cooling.
Old 01-26-18 | 07:14 PM
oneLSowner
Driver School Candidate

Default Good job

Hard to figure everything that comes into play
Maintenance level a one time overheat air in system
Don’t want to scare you to everything is wrong but covering a basic troubleshooting
If coolant is good yea the fan is important at idle sounds classic problem. But buzz words air in system wet windshield I hope that’s all
Old 01-26-18 | 08:19 PM
oneLSowner
Driver School Candidate

Default Small details

Originally Posted by winter4w
Well, I was more looking for a red fluid on the ground if there is a leak. I am still confused on how I would go about getting air out the system. Today I went and took the cap off the reservoir and let the car run at 2000RPM for a few minutes after the engine warmed up. There were no bubbles or coolant level drop. While doing it the temperature remained right on the middle line. Heter was also blowing warm air at idle but not hot. I then turned the car off, put the cap on and waited until tonight. Went to drive her around to see if everything was ok and ran into the same issues. Heater blew cold air under 2000RPM and temp started to go up. Even driving at a slow speed it still climbed to the top line (I never watched to see if it would hit the H). So did I burp the system right?
i see how running at home vs driving around neighborhood can effect overheat test

2000 RPMs with hood open no stress on engine no overheat for “few minutes” as you said at home
to next day driving around the neighborhood only few minutes with hood down, and a lot of stress on engine it-overheated

Last edited by oneLSowner; 01-26-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-27-18 | 05:36 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
If you fan clutch is bad, then it will make a load roar when cold. I would only go with an AISIN fan clutch as I had an aftermarket one on mine and it failed by locking up and being on the entire time, making that loud roar anytime the engine was running, at idle or at 2500rpm. When your engine is cold, you should be able to spin the fan and it should turn about 3/4 of a turn or so with some fluid resistance from the hydraulic clutch. If it doesn't spin at all or is hard to turn, the clutch is bad.

But as for the coolant bleeding, you want to remove that 17mm fill bolt, put a funnel directly into it and fill it up with coolant with the engine on until it starts overflowing when running. Also fill up the reservoir completely to the top of the cap. Then reinstall the fill bolt and run engine at 2500rpm for 5 min straight to get it hot with the heater turned to high.

After you've done this, shut the engine off and let it cool down. The engine will draw in coolant from the reservoir as it cools. When you return, add coolant if it has sucked some down to the MAX level and reinstall the radiator cap on the reservoir. For the next couple times when the engine cools, and before you do a cold start, check the level and fill as needed on the reservoir and reinstall the cap. Its a longer process than most cars, but this is the only way to do it.

You could probably wait 30 min after you shut the car off for the engine to cool and it should start sucking in coolant, then repeat. It took me about an hour and a half to do it properly and for me to feel comfortable that the coolant was sucked in properly after cooling.
I will probably do this still since I feel I should be getting more heat from the heater. And the roar only occurs at startup and driving slow when she's warm. I can defiantly see and hear a difference as my temperature is staying right where it should. Before startup was quiet, should have known something was up with the sound now I hear the difference but guess it just never got my attention.

Also didn't you say your car doesn't blow heat at idle or park?

Originally Posted by OneLSowner
Hard to figure everything that comes into play
Maintenance level a one time overheat air in system
Don’t want to scare you to everything is wrong but covering a basic troubleshooting
If coolant is good yea the fan is important at idle sounds classic problem. But buzz words air in system wet windshield I hope that’s all
No, I understand lol I was checking everything too to make sure it was none of those. Still, I feel my heater should be warmer so I will try again to get more air out. At least the overheating part has been fixed.
Old 01-27-18 | 09:32 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by winter4w
I will probably do this still since I feel I should be getting more heat from the heater. And the roar only occurs at startup and driving slow when she's warm. I can defiantly see and hear a difference as my temperature is staying right where it should. Before startup was quiet, should have known something was up with the sound now I hear the difference but guess it just never got my attention.

Also didn't you say your car doesn't blow heat at idle or park?

No, I understand lol I was checking everything too to make sure it was none of those. Still, I feel my heater should be warmer so I will try again to get more air out. At least the overheating part has been fixed.
No, only when warming up, the heat is iffy, I assume because it has to get the engine warmed up as a priority first and then it'll heat the cabin? Once its been at just below middle for about 3 minutes, then it blows steady heat. I tried putting it on Max HOT and its always hot then. After about 2-3 miles of driving at a steady 50mph speed, my engine warms up in 32 degree temps to operating temp.

I still hold strong, that if you're hearing any kind of fan noise during startup, your thermostatic fan clutch is bad. Mine used to roar when bone cold overnight, or at any point really and now, I don't even hear it unless its very hot outside, which in MI it doesn't get above 80-85, unlike in AZ where it used to be 115 as you know. If you're having trouble locating an AISIN fan clutch, I've got a spare one that I'm not using. I removed it from a 96 LS, so it should match our 95-97s.
Old 01-28-18 | 09:07 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

No, only when warming up, the heat is iffy, I assume because it has to get the engine warmed up as a priority first and then it'll heat the cabin?
There is no thermostatic action through the heater core. It should get exactly the same coolant as that circulating in the heads. Air is a tricky thing, that is why Lexus recommends blasting the throttle a few times as you fill the system, it is turbulence that moves air pockets out into the coolant flow where it can then get bled out at the reservoir. It should be noted that you have to do this fill/bleed when the engine is still quite cool. As soon as the combustion chambers get up to boiling temp, the water jackets will have flash boiling as coolant strikes the hot surfaces. That then works against you.
Colin
Old 01-28-18 | 01:15 PM
oneLSowner
Driver School Candidate

Default Heater core function

Hot water has to get pass a shutoff valve on engine to heater
I watched my valve open only after I put the cabin temp at hot.

If you open the hood and look at the back wall leftside center as if sitting in car is a valve with heater hoses in and out.

I watched this valve move open. The link with cable attached went in the down direction if I remember right This lets hot water into heater.
When I program cabin temps less than hot valve closed. Settings was set to hot vs 70 degrees 75, etc

You can test this without car running just turn key to run and have someone change the temp settings it will move up and down at the cable connection

Last edited by oneLSowner; 01-28-18 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-02-18 | 07:01 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

No, only when warming up, the heat is iffy, I assume because it has to get the engine warmed up as a priority first and then it'll heat the cabin? Once its been at just below middle for about 3 minutes, then it blows steady heat. I tried putting it on Max HOT and its always hot then. After about 2-3 miles of driving at a steady 50mph speed, my engine warms up in 32 degree temps to operating temp.

I still hold strong, that if you're hearing any kind of fan noise during startup, your thermostatic fan clutch is bad. Mine used to roar when bone cold overnight, or at any point really and now, I don't even hear it unless its very hot outside, which in MI it doesn't get above 80-85, unlike in AZ where it used to be 115 as you know. If you're having trouble locating an AISIN fan clutch, I've got a spare one that I'm not using. I removed it from a 96 LS, so it should match our 95-97s.
It is a new clutch they put in so I'm not sure if it failed already but it seems to be working as my car does not overheat. The noise only occurs when the engine revs at startup then everything seems to go to normal.

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
There is no thermostatic action through the heater core. It should get exactly the same coolant as that circulating in the heads. Air is a tricky thing, that is why Lexus recommends blasting the throttle a few times as you fill the system, it is turbulence that moves air pockets out into the coolant flow where it can then get bled out at the reservoir. It should be noted that you have to do this fill/bleed when the engine is still quite cool. As soon as the combustion chambers get up to boiling temp, the water jackets will have flash boiling as coolant strikes the hot surfaces. That then works against you.
Colin
Thanks, so guess only bleed it while its warming up, and once warm stop?

Originally Posted by OneLSowner
Hot water has to get pass a shutoff valve on engine to heater
I watched my valve open only after I put the cabin temp at hot.

If you open the hood and look at the back wall leftside center as if sitting in car is a valve with heater hoses in and out.

I watched this valve move open. The link with cable attached went in the down direction if I remember right This lets hot water into heater.
When I program cabin temps less than hot valve closed. Settings was set to hot vs 70 degrees 75, etc

You can test this without car running just turn key to run and have someone change the temp settings it will move up and down at the cable connection

Thanks, I will test it out, I was reading a post where some guys cable that opens the valve broke, however, looking at mine it seems ok.
Old 02-07-18 | 10:57 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Winter I just saw this and thought of you...................
removed my in-car phone that came in my 98, also removed the phone ECU that was in the trunk.

I was having issues with my radio cutting out and my A/C intermittently changing blowing strength, after removing the phone ECU, haven't had those issues since.

HOPE IT WORKS

Last edited by billydpowe; 02-07-18 at 11:03 AM. Reason: ps, didnt read all the pages,
Old 02-07-18 | 11:04 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Winter I just saw this and thought of you...................
removed my in-car phone that came in my 98, also removed the phone ECU that was in the trunk.

I was having issues with my radio cutting out and my A/C intermittently changing blowing strength, after removing the phone ECU, haven't had those issues since.

HOPE IT WORKS
Thanks, however, my car does not have a Phone in it

Just wondering without the phone ECU did it blow cold when you set it to hot?