LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'00- Dead speedo, side mirror doesn't tilt on reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 07:49 PM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00- Dead speedo, side mirror doesn't tilt on reverse

Well my 2000 LS400 speedometer went dead and the side view mirrors no longer point to the curb when in reverse. I don’t know why I didn’t do anything to her other than my everyday driving . So if anyone out there can throw some helpful info my way about this issue It will be greatly appreciated . Thanks Ppl

Last edited by RA40; 01-24-18 at 08:35 PM. Reason: subject title adjsutment
Old 01-25-18, 04:04 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneOnmi
Well my 2000 LS400 speedometer went dead and the side view mirrors no longer point to the curb when in reverse. I don’t know why I didn’t do anything to her other than my everyday driving . So if anyone out there can throw some helpful info my way about this issue It will be greatly appreciated . Thanks Ppl
Did both issues occur at once?

Can you be more specific on spedometer symptoms? Does it illuminate? Does tach functuon?

What is current position of your mirror adjustment switch?

Are both side mirrors not tilring down or just one?

Body ECU is a possibility,, but usually the moonroof door locks windows and key remote in the multiplexed system are also inoperative .

Did car get wet beforehand ?
Old 01-25-18, 06:19 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

The speedo is known to stick under some conditions and a quick rap on the dash above the cluster can free it up. I've had this happen, but mostly occurs in warmer weather.
Old 01-25-18, 09:14 AM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Legender on the speedo. Try tapping on the dash above the cluster a few times to see if the needle frees up. Also, my mirrors on my 2000 only point down in reverse if I have the mirror control selection switch flipped to driver's or passenger side, not in the middle.
Old 01-25-18, 07:00 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneOnmi
friend you need to learn about your car
do us and yourself a favor READ THIS...ALL OF IT
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Evolution of the LS Series.doc (39.0 KB, 87 views)
The following users liked this post:
EthanS (01-26-18)
Old 01-26-18, 08:26 AM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Did both issues occur at once?

Can you be more specific on spedometer symptoms? Does it illuminate? Does tach functuon?

What is current position of your mirror adjustment switch?

Are both side mirrors not tilring down or just one?

Body ECU is a possibility,, but usually the moonroof door locks windows and key remote in the multiplexed system are also inoperative .

Did car get wet beforehand ?
Hey man greatly appreciate your response but yeah the speedo started working again and I was told it may be the speed sensor and yeah the tach wasn’t moving either when I first noticed it but started working when I gave it gas abruptly but I parked for the night and next day they both were working now as far as the rearview mirrors when I noticed them not tilting I looked at the adjust switch and it was centered but I did go through a car wash simply because I needed to get the salt off (btw I live in Baltimore MD) so yes I got it wet before hand and both mirrors dont tilt but key fob moonroof and windows work perfect again big thanks for the help
Old 01-26-18, 08:29 AM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
The speedo is known to stick under some conditions and a quick rap on the dash above the cluster can free it up. I've had this happen, but mostly occurs in warmer weather.
Hey man thanks for the tip it work and I greatly appreciate your response
Old 01-26-18, 08:33 AM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leeroy
I agree with Legender on the speedo. Try tapping on the dash above the cluster a few times to see if the needle frees up. Also, my mirrors on my 2000 only point down in reverse if I have the mirror control selection switch flipped to driver's or passenger side, not in the middle.
ok cool thanks for your response I greatly appreciate it but i will try that because I leave the mirrors adjustment switch centered
Old 01-26-18, 08:44 AM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
friend you need to learn about your car
do us and yourself a favor READ THIS...ALL OF IT
Great read ! Thanks man I really appreciate it i read owners manual front to back and that little section about the evo from the previous model to my model gives a great understanding picture of the vehicle. again thanks a bunch