LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Red tail lamp and brake light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 08:20 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Red tail lamp and brake light bulbs

1995-2000 LS400 (1990-1994?) use clear 7440 and 7443 incandescent bulbs as rear turn signal and brake lamps .

Using clear bulbs behind red lenses casts a more pinkish tone than true red coloration.

Fitted red silicone bulb filters over T 3-1/4 rear corner bulbs worked well, but now contrasts with the T 6- 1/4 size 7440 and 7443 bulbs in lense coloration, with no availability of T 6-1/4 red silicone bulb color filters....so colored lamps.

As an aside....when LEDs are used, for best results, it is not recommended to use a white LED behind a red or an amber lens, which explains why amber and red LEDs are offered..(yet OEM's , with few exceptions, used uncolored incandescent bulbs behind amber and red lenses)

Interested in member recommendations for a stateside supplier of red 7440 and 7443 bulbs..(.before LED's hese would be used behind clear taillamp assemblies.)

Some images below of a UK supplier...

Perhaps an OEM auto manufacturer used red 7440 and 7443 incandescents but am unaware of any....this would be preferable to aftermarket.

Not interested in using LED's at this time, thank you very much.

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-07-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 12:03 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

I used colored bulbs before, and it could just be due to some cheap china made bulbs, but over time the red color burned off and eventually turned pink.
I feel colored bulbs are only good for signal lights which are not constantly on so they don't discolor as fast as brake lights.

what's good is if you just install red bulbs with the OE lenses, when they discolor it won't really matter too much anyway.

here is clear lights (with slight smoke tint on the lenses) with red bulbs when i first installed them. they turned pink within a week so i converted to LED bulbs.
Old 02-08-18, 02:07 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
I used colored bulbs before, and it could just be due to some cheap china made bulbs, but over time the red color burned off and eventually turned pink.
I feel colored bulbs are only good for signal lights which are not constantly on so they don't discolor as fast as brake lights.

what's good is if you just install red bulbs with the OE lenses, when they discolor it won't really matter too much anyway.

here is clear lights (with slight smoke tint on the lenses) with red bulbs when i first installed them. they turned pink within a week so i converted to LED bulbs.
Red anything seems to fade to pink given enough exposure to light...

The plan is to use OEM lenses with red lacquer sprayed or dipped bulbs.to reduce the white - red confluence that gives pink cast to taillight and brakelight lenses.

I considered using Sylvania brand (Country of origin?) 7440A and 7443A incandescents...the A suffix is "Amber"....This is much closer to red color spectrum than a.clear bulb and readily available at parts stores, however red can be procured...or produced.

As automotive OEMs discontinue(d) manufacture of incandescent bulbs in favor of LED's then China is fielding the gap.

I really miss the German and Japanese brands..

LED's might be a future option, but to do it right (from my perspective) requires considerable time.

Still attempting to find a plug and play improvement over 7440 reverse lamps...

The blue tint that Sylvania applies to their premium priced bulbs is akin to a white correcting blue color filter, so perceived whiter light and legitimate (however silicone color filters are superior )

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-08-18 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 07:15 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

keep us posted on the LED's