LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front and rear turn signals - illumination

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 07:57 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Front and rear turn signals - illumination

1998 - 2000 LS400 use clear 7440 incandescent bulbs behind amber rear turn signals lense strip and an amber diffuser interior to the clear front turn signal assemblies.

To my eye the rear turn signal lenses illuminate faded tangerine vs amber when flashing...the result of using a clear incandescent bulb behind an amber lense...

Ditto for front turn signal lenses, but the amber color is not as muted because the bulb resides in an amber colored cup.

Remedied the color rendering issue by replacing original 7440 front and rear turn signal lamps with Sylvania # 7440A (Amber) bulbs...Made in Japan..

Noticeably truer amber color..however.difficult to photograph a flashing illuminated bulb.to demonstrate.

OEM front turn signal bulb...
...Made In Japan
Front signal.flashing with replacement 7440A. ..it is difficult to tell difference from photograph....much improvent in rears and doesn't look as cheap..closer to amber LED coloration.

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-08-18 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 04:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

While this will get you a more amber color, the actual light output (lumens) will decrease compared to stock. This is because those colored bulbs use a coating to achieve the camber color, which significantly reduces light output.

That said, i don't think it'll be a problem unless a new amber-coated bulb is dimmer to the eye than a new clear bulb.

I would have gone LED. More light output, better color choice, longer service life.
Old 02-09-18, 12:00 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

LEDs will need proper loading to prevent hyperblinking, but I would totally go with LED as well. the designs are getting better with time and they last so much longer indeed.

as you see here, most 7440 and 7443 bulbs will be made in japan despite being packaged by Osram/Sylvania. I believe this is due to most Japanese cars requiring the bulbs.
some smaller bulbs like 168 bulbs vary in manufacture, such as Slovakia, China, or even USA.
if you look closer on the 7440 bulb it may be marked "Stanley" which in an OE bulb provider for Honda/Toyota.
Old 02-09-18, 01:03 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
LEDs will need proper loading to prevent hyperblinking, but I would totally go with LED as well. the designs are getting better with time and they last so much longer indeed.

as you see here, most 7440 and 7443 bulbs will be made in japan despite being packaged by Osram/Sylvania. I believe this is due to most Japanese cars requiring the bulbs.
some smaller bulbs like 168 bulbs vary in manufacture, such as Slovakia, China, or even USA.
if you look closer on the 7440 bulb it may be marked "Stanley" which in an OE bulb provider for Honda/Toyota.
If not made in Japan then would not have bothered replacing originals with amber.

Agree with using LED's but brightness (lumens) diffusion(hot spots) and quality (color rendering/bin matching and life) have not been workable...others have warned against Chinese made LED bulbs.

Also...they need to address the hyper-flashing and sensor (bulb resistance setting trouble light)
Old 02-09-18, 07:11 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

do the chinese make any Sylvania bulbs??? or are they all Japan made
Old 02-09-18, 07:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Many were made in Japan...I didn't go through the entire Sylvania rack at AutoZone.

The 7440A's were about $8 for a twin pack.

Sylvania is a premium brand so they mind sourcing and Country of origin.
Old 02-10-18, 12:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Replace the flasher unit with one made for LED bulbs, this is the correct way vs. using load resistors.
Old 02-10-18, 04:48 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Replace the flasher unit with one made for LED bulbs, this is the correct way vs. using load resistors.
So, resistors are referenced for taillights and brakelights...not interested in deactivating the trunk mounted bulb status indicator module...(There have been reported reliability issues with certain LED bulbs - Yamae)

My comment is meant to address afterrmarket auto LED bulb manufacturers have not perfected a true plug and play (stand alone) product for our cars.

LED turn signal bulbs and brake light bulbs can be designed to coincide with our staus indicator lights.

Not opposed to replacing a flasher (provided it is of known brand and quality), but not interested in hacking wiring to insert resisters to keep the bulb staus indacator (shows up on my ticker tape display)
A resistored pigtail with correct male and female Sumitomo connectors in series with existing harness is possible.

Sylvania offers what appear to be quality LED replacements for 7440 and 7443 incandescents, but lifht output in relation to incandescents is unceratain.

For best results, LED bulbs illuminating same color as lense should be used. (do not use white LED's behind an amber or red lense.)

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-10-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 04:05 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Checked today and several Sylvania bulbs. manufactured in China and Tiawan..depends on bulb number.. Check when shopping. The 7440A's were "made in Japan".

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-10-18 at 04:09 PM.