LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 for 2,500,what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 05:38 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

So,driven about 100 miles.On freeway it cruised with the big dogs doing 80-85 mph no sweat.Kicked it to 100 before I started getting vibrations. I will be getting over 20 on freeway,mileage just kept going up and up.Going up mtn,pulling 4000 lbs to 5000 feet knocks mileage down.I wont always be driving it hard,just need to see what it can do.

Have to watch speed as I dont feel it.Went into a freeway change thing about 80,that woke me up,must watch speedo.Went to wally world and found some cups to fit the incredibly spacious cup holders.At pick a part got an ashtray insert,an assortment of fuses and some relays.Saw one with a starter,a power steering pump and a wet timing belt in trunk,so i know why that one was there.

The mechanic nephew is hugely impressed by it,his wife is like...you bought a car with how many miles?? Oh well,she doesnt get it.

Now i need to do some detailing on it.Dont know if i will clay bar or use polishing compound on it.then clean seats,treat them,and shampoo carpets.

Oh,i can tell it needs motor mounts.

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 12:14 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
So,driven about 100 miles.On freeway it cruised with the big dogs doing 80-85 mph no sweat.Kicked it to 100 before I started getting vibrations. I will be getting over 20 on freeway,mileage just kept going up and up.Going up mtn,pulling 4000 lbs to 5000 feet knocks mileage down.I wont always be driving it hard,just need to see what it can do.

Have to watch speed as I dont feel it.Went into a freeway change thing about 80,that woke me up,must watch speedo.Went to wally world and found some cups to fit the incredibly spacious cup holders.At pick a part got an ashtray insert,an assortment of fuses and some relays.Saw one with a starter,a power steering pump and a wet timing belt in trunk,so i know why that one was there.

The mechanic nephew is hugely impressed by it,his wife is like...you bought a car with how many miles?? Oh well,she doesnt get it.

Now i need to do some detailing on it.Dont know if i will clay bar or use polishing compound on it.then clean seats,treat them,and shampoo carpets.

make SURE to go OEM Lexus with motor mounts....don't believe the people with aftermarket ones that say its the same its NOT.

Plus you can get them off Bell Lexus in Scottsdale, they have an eBay store, for $239 for the Motor mounts and the Tranny mount is cheap, like $40. I did those back in May 17' and everyone that rides in my car doesn't know its on until they look at the tachometer, its that smooth.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (02-18-18)
Old 02-17-18, 12:47 PM
spuds
Racer

Did you see my question about mounts on this thread,the JP genuine site? Looks like a good price for the real deal? Sure would like to know if anybody dealt with them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-mount-2.html
Old 02-17-18, 12:56 PM
ankurdave
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've bought a couple parts from jp-genuine on eBay before (strut bar and transmission mount) and they were indeed genuine.
spuds (02-17-18)
Old 02-17-18, 12:57 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Did you see my question about mounts on this thread,the JP genuine site? Looks like a good price for the real deal? Sure would like to know if anybody dealt with them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-mount-2.html
From their pictures it looks genuine. I'm hoping for your sake they match the Lexus OEM ones. But they did have a Lexus sticker with the OE part number. so for 165 thats a good deal
Old 02-17-18, 01:18 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

diamond in the rough
Old 02-17-18, 01:44 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
make SURE to go OEM Lexus with motor mounts....don't believe the people with aftermarket ones that say its the same its NOT.
I can swear thats true on Honda motorcycle parts.The OEM rubber is like three times thicker,cables are A1 quality vrs C grade on aftermarket.EVERYTHING that was available still in OEM,I bought.

So if OEM is available,and it isnt stupid out of this world priced,Im getting OEM.

I can tell you its possible to sell parts for 1/2 the price Lexus does.I was in the rebuilt auto starter and alternator trade as a young man.Heres how pricing works.Every time a part changes hands,the price doubled.

We went to junk yard and bought starters and alternators for 5 dollars.
Sold to rebuilder for 10 dollars
Rebuilder sold back to us for 20 dollars
We wholesaled to dealer for 40 dollars
They sold to customer for 80 dollars,a little less to the repair guys.Lets say 70 dollars,whatever....
Garage put them in customers car and charged 140 dollars for it.Or whatever double is of what they paid

So in every turn over on part price increases 100% for the most part.

What we did was take our wholesale parts and retailed direct to repair garage,they still sold it for 140 and made 100 on the price difference vrs 70,so we owned the local repair places.

Sounds like JP Genuine might be taking a 50% or so markup and selling direct to us,cutting out the dealer markup and making it up in market share.Even 50% on a sale might be darn profitable in the internet market vrs brick and mortar. We did it,it worked.

So it is possible to sell at that pricing.

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 02:02 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by lextout
diamond in the rough
Something like that for sure.
Old 02-17-18, 02:07 PM
spuds
Racer

Mrs and BIL will be taking it on a 250 mile round trip in 3 days to go San Diego,Ca to visit a nephew.She's taking it out now to drive around and get more used to it.Wow,nephews play a big roll in our lives Im noticing.
Old 02-17-18, 03:10 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Spuds, I just so happen to have a spare set of OEM mounts, brand new, sitting at the house. Can sell them to you if you need. Cheap. For reference, they are Lexus OEM part # 12361-50101
spuds (02-17-18)
Old 02-17-18, 03:21 PM
spuds
Racer

PM sent Leeroy.Yes Mod,I apologize for the merchandise post,I understand they arent supposed to be here,but what a nice post regardless,eh,just what i need!

You Lexus guys are great.Mrs just called,said in a former life she had new cars every 18 - 24 months and has NEVER ridden in a car this nice,or that fit her so well.

Plan was it has to last 5 years until Im rich again.She said she wants it for 10,she doesnt want any other car,It fits her like a glove,cant get over the ride,just drove down the mtn and feels great,on and on. Told her at junk yard we saw a 2000 Mercedes and thing was a clunky box compared to the LS400.

It truly is a World Class setting car.

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 04:12 PM
spuds
Racer

OK,got my OEM mount purchase taken care of.That leaves the ect sensor and send out the ecu for a cap fix and i believe thats every single thing it needs,is done.WOW!!!!! We are on a roll here big time!
Old 02-17-18, 05:26 PM
JetCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey SPUDS ... sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your new ride : ) I noticed you mentioned some auto detailing work you want to do to your LS .... thought I would pass this on to you : a YouTube channel called Sweet Project Cars. I have been detailing my own cars since I was 16 ... after all these years I thought I was pretty good at it. Then I found this guy on YouTube showing tips and tricks I have never seen before ( by the way I worked at a body shop once for a while as a young man decades ago ... learned a lot there ) ..... soooooo ... anyways, we have these nice leather seats to deal with in our older LS cars, right? : ) Check out this video [ below ] He has several other videos about leather seats .... as well as a ton of other detailing videos ... tricks I have never seen before. Like for example, when it comes to cleaning carpet in cars, this guy blew me away ...... what he shows looked kinda scary, to be honest ...... I have not tried his methods on carpet yet ..... anyways, it is a pretty cool channel and you might get a kick out of it .....

Last edited by JetCat; 02-17-18 at 05:27 PM. Reason: formating
spuds (02-18-18)
Old 02-17-18, 05:36 PM
spuds
Racer

Holy smokes,thats insane!!!! My seats arent bad fortunately,they just need a spiffing up.Sent it to wife,lets see her take,also sent to nephews,thanks.I will check out his stuff.Some crazy results,wow!

Im going to start the finish with the finest clay bar and move on from there.first this....13.79
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiars-...y-Kit/16386193

1998 for 2,500,what do you think?-gqjbvyc.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 05:58 PM
spuds
Racer

Great link JetCat,like how that guy thinks.Just watched belt treatment,cool!And the carpet clean ,fine indeed!

Sheesh! target had one claybar kit....without the bars.Walmart store has no clay bars,no spray nine,no 303 protectorant in stock.Will have to go to Amazon.

Edit-Amazon couldnt compete on price with Wally and ebay.

Edit again,Jet Cat,that link you sent,that guy is amazing!! Folks,check out his youtubes,he is a car clean genius!.

Last edited by spuds; 02-17-18 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 for 2,500,what do you think?