LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Touchscreen edition Climate backlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 03:05 AM
boldx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Originally Posted by Yamae
... Bulbs are driven by the current controlling circuit which can drive maximum 7.25V for each bulbs...
Does this mean, that the bulbs are driven by a constant current source (as opposed to a constant voltage one)?
Old 02-26-18, 04:45 AM
Yamae

Received 885 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by boldx
Hi all,

Does this mean, that the bulbs are driven by a constant current source (as opposed to a constant voltage one)?
No, bulbs are not driven by a constant current source. The driver is a kind of variable voltage regulator which follows the rotating angle of the rheostat ***. When the *** is turned CW direction, the voltage is increased and the current is also increased. Thus the brightness is increased.
Old 02-28-18, 02:08 AM
boldx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
No, bulbs are not driven by a constant current source. [...]
Ah, snap, that would have been too good to be true.
It looks like 8 V bulbs are practically unavailable in Europe. So we either have to settle with 12 V ones like in the evansweb post, or replace them with LEDs. Yamae, can you please tell a bit more about using LEDs to replace the bulbs? My primary concern is the mechanical fixing part, as a car is a relatively harsh environment in this regard.
Old 02-28-18, 03:36 AM
Yamae

Received 885 Likes on 667 Posts

It looks like 8 V bulbs are practically unavailable in Europe. So we either have to settle with 12 V ones like in the evansweb post, or replace them with LEDs. Yamae, can you please tell a bit more about using LEDs to replace the bulbs? My primary concern is the mechanical fixing part, as a car is a relatively harsh environment in this regard.
I have discarded the note how bulbs were connected and the polarity on the board. So I can't give you the detail but I have posted the replacement result at the site Celsior.up.com below in Japanese. This may help you some but try using the Google translation or something similar.
http://celsiorup.com/cgi/ita/itacel....ber=38932&no=0

LEDs have the polarity and you have to be careful to use them. Also you have to limit the current using a CRD for an each LED or a resistor. Due to the limitation of the space and the rheostat function, I haven't used any CRDs. Instead of using those, I simply added 3 resistors at X,Y and Z to the driver circuits after analysing the board. The purpose of the resistor at X is to set up the bright level of the top 3 LCD's back lights when tail lights are OFF, Y when ON and Z for buttons surrounding the navi's screen.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Touchscreen edition Climate backlight-1453522200.jpg  
Old 02-28-18, 09:43 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Mouser Electronics ships JKL.incandescent bulbs globally....