LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2000 ls400 car coasts too slow under 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 06:48 PM
Boredsoim1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ls400 car coasts too slow under 30mph

Hey y'all. I'm noticing that my ls400 is coasting strangely. It is a 2000 ls400 with 188k miles.

what I'm feeling is that under 30 mph when I let off the gas instead of coasting slowly to a stop, the car stops very quick, like the brakes are on slightly. Above 30mph it seems to coast normally, at least what you would intuitively think coasting to a stop in a big car with lots of momentum would be like.

I've checked the brakes to make sure they are aligned correctly, and though they will need to be changed soon, they are setup properly. Am I just being paranoid and not understanding how these cars drive? Or could something other than brakes be causing this to happen? I was fighting vacuum leaks earlier this month when I first got the car. So that could be another issue affecting how the car idles as it coasts.
Old 03-01-18, 07:26 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Boredsoim1
Hey y'all. I'm noticing that my ls400 is coasting strangely. It is a 2000 ls400 with 188k miles.

what I'm feeling is that under 30 mph when I let off the gas instead of coasting slowly to a stop, the car stops very quick, like the brakes are on slightly. Above 30mph it seems to coast normally, at least what you would intuitively think coasting to a stop in a big car with lots of momentum would be like.

I've checked the brakes to make sure they are aligned correctly, and though they will need to be changed soon, they are setup properly. Am I just being paranoid and not understanding how these cars drive? Or could something other than brakes be causing this to happen? I was fighting vacuum leaks earlier this month when I first got the car. So that could be another issue affecting how the car idles as it coasts.
Experiment:
A) Go to a parking lot. Drive to 10 mph and slip transmission into neutral.
Does the car seem to slow too quickly?
(emergency brake cables dragging in sheaths)

B) Engage reverse. At 5-10 mph in reverse, apply ebrake with foot while holding out ebrake release handle, then release and let car coast to a stop.
Now do A above. If less sticky, you have kicked the ebrake shoes which pull the cables temporarily more relaxed

C) Step on foot brakes firmly and hold. Now release and shift immediately into D. Does car creep forward normally or does it hold?
(caliper frozen or brake hose collapsed)

That is as far as I can guess at this time.
Colin
The following users liked this post:
Boredsoim1 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 11:44 PM
Boredsoim1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Experiment:
A) Go to a parking lot. Drive to 10 mph and slip transmission into neutral.
Does the car seem to slow too quickly?
(emergency brake cables dragging in sheaths)

B) Engage reverse. At 5-10 mph in reverse, apply ebrake with foot while holding out ebrake release handle, then release and let car coast to a stop.
Now do A above. If less sticky, you have kicked the ebrake shoes which pull the cables temporarily more relaxed

C) Step on foot brakes firmly and hold. Now release and shift immediately into D. Does car creep forward normally or does it hold?
(caliper frozen or brake hose collapsed)

That is as far as I can guess at this time.
Colin
I'll try this out tomorrow if I have time before work. Earlier today It stopped, so now it is an intermittent problem (the worst kind). I doubt it is the brakes at this point, but I'll definitely try all of these soon and post my results. Appreciate the info!
Old 03-01-18, 11:47 PM
Boredsoim1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
If any brake were frozen while you were cruising, that caliper & rotor would glow in the dark, and the wheel would be too hot to touch.
I suspect the transmission is downshifting.
I agree. I really hope it is just how the transmission works normally and I'm just not used to the car. I'm probably just being paranoid cause I really can't afford any repairs for a while as my budget went to getting the car and the timing belt done. This is all probably me just stress sweating for no good reason.
Old 03-02-18, 12:01 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

The car should glide then gradually slow down when you let off your foot from the gas pedal. Sounds like your tranny is downshifting prematurely. Check the fluid level in park after car warmed up & top it off if it's too low. Since you've just got the car, you probably have no prior maintenance history of it, I suggest you do a tranny drain (not flush) & refill w/ the Toyota Transmission Fluid, Type IV. It only takes ~ 2 qts. Try this first as it's inexpensive.