LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I drank the Kool Aid

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 09:02 PM
98LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After driving it all week on my commute I’m even happier with my purchase. This is the smoothest car I’ve ever owned. I don’t even feel potholes that would have swallowed my Miata. My 13 year old made me take him on a drive so he could listen to Dark Side of the Moon at a possibly unhealthy volume. My 17 y.o. daughter has informed me that it’s actually her car. For the first time in almost 30 years, my wife totally approves of the old car that I came home in.

A couple of questions: I’d like to update interior and exterior lighting to LED. Are there any good write-ups on how to do it and what bulbs, etc. to use? Also, HID or LED conversion for headlights?
The following users liked this post:
spuds (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 11:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice story 98,thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-18, 10:30 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LS4oo
After driving it all week on my commute I’m even happier with my purchase. This is the smoothest car I’ve ever owned. I don’t even feel potholes that would have swallowed my Miata. My 13 year old made me take him on a drive so he could listen to Dark Side of the Moon at a possibly unhealthy volume. My 17 y.o. daughter has informed me that it’s actually her car. For the first time in almost 30 years, my wife totally approves of the old car that I came home in.

A couple of questions: I’d like to update interior and exterior lighting to LED. Are there any good write-ups on how to do it and what bulbs, etc. to use? Also, HID or LED conversion for headlights?
Search on ebay for complete kits...fairly easy to do on the LS400. LED is the way to go. I've done it and looks/works great.

Congrats on the find, but looks like you won't be able to hang on to it long. Interesting your 13 year old is interested in music that is 45 years old this year.
Old 03-09-18, 07:44 PM
98LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
Search on ebay for complete kits...fairly easy to do on the LS400. LED is the way to go. I've done it and looks/works great.

Congrats on the find, but looks like you won't be able to hang on to it long. Interesting your 13 year old is interested in music that is 45 years old this year.
I’ll look on eBay for lighting. How is it possible that Dark Side of the Moon is 45? That must mean that I’m old.....
Old 03-10-18, 09:19 PM
98LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Another question: I filled the tank yesterday for the 1st time and now the dashboard display says “Range Over 301”. Does this mean that the computer is recalibrating the range and it will go back to normal range display or is it a symptom of something else?
Old 03-10-18, 09:42 PM
bradland

Received 689 Likes on 564 Posts

I don't drive my 400 much these days but if I remember correctly it's kind of a funny glitch. The computer doesn't bother providing specific details above a certain level in the tank. A similar thing happens when the tank is low, under 30 miles remaining, it will only read "Low Fuel"
Old 03-10-18, 10:39 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

look up siriusledlights.com

I bought an LED plug and play kit for my 97 for $50. You can also get them through amazon.

But I've got H4, so you may have different lights since your's is a 98. Its the best mod I've done to this car, I can see so much better now, especially here in MI with the roads as bad as they are, its critical that I've got the brightest lights to avoid the curb sized potholes that already bent 2 of my rims, luckily repairable.

Here's some output pics:

Old 03-11-18, 06:35 AM
98LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Mine has 9006 bulbs. Was the kit you bought something like this?

https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...headlight-9006
Old 03-11-18, 11:10 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Mine has 9006 bulbs. Was the kit you bought something like this?

https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...headlight-9006
I have this exact kit, X2 I believe its called. It has cooling fans on the back of the bulbs

https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...d-headlight-h4
Old 03-11-18, 11:27 AM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these kits legal? Are they blinding to oncoming traffic? Maybe not if aligned correctly?

Not trying to start a holier-than-thou debate here, just trying to understand my options, and its ramifications, as I'd like more light too.

Thanks,

Eddie

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I have this exact kit, X2 I believe its called. It has cooling fans on the back of the bulbs

https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...d-headlight-h4
Old 03-11-18, 12:47 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by eddievegas
Are these kits legal? Are they blinding to oncoming traffic? Maybe not if aligned correctly?

Not trying to start a holier-than-thou debate here, just trying to understand my options, and its ramifications, as I'd like more light too.

Thanks,

Eddie
I've been flashed a few times but usually its only once or twice by old people. New cars have LED lights that are blinding (Fusions, Explorers, Corollas) so most people are used to them.

I didn't change the angle of my lights much at all, maybe an inch lower to get more light focused right in front of me for pothole avoidance.

Here's what the cutoff looks like. There's some scatter due to being in a halogen housing, but not too much, I'd say 85% is at the cutoff of where the Halogens were. My other car has some TSX HID projectors which are very good at shining light with a dedicated cutoff, but that housing modification took me about 20 hrs of labor to do.

keep in mind I've got the glass crystal clear DEPO housings for my 97, so with a plastic housing on the 98+, it shouldn't reflect as much.

Old 03-13-18, 01:41 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We have a 1998 Lexus LS400 Lighting Guide you can check out for bulb types and some replacement options. If there is something you don't see in that list, I would suggest checking your Owner's Manual (or pulling out a bulb) to confirm the fitment involved. If you're coming from halogen headlights, you could look at either a 9006 HID Kit or 9006 LED Kit if you want a bump in brightness/colour from your Low Beams. LEDs are probably the safer bet with reflector-type housings, so you don't end up with a ton of glare for incoming drivers.

Originally Posted by eddievegas

Thanks,

Eddie
Generally speaking, LED and HID conversion kits are not usually DOT-approved (so not 'street legal'). You may find that enforcement of regulations varies depending on where you live (and/or how 'flashy' your lights are - super-blue lights are probably going to draw more of the kind of attention you Don't want), but if your vehicle came from the factory with halogen lighting, then that is what is legal in there.

That being said, obviously many people buy and install these kits in vehicles that are seeing regular road usage. Many people tell me they needed to adjust the aim of their headlights down a bit after dialling up the brightness with LEDs (and especially HIDs), and there is generally less of an issue with projector-style headlights due to the sharper cutoff.

~Robert
Old 03-13-18, 02:20 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I can pop in with some HID experience here- mine had a 35W HID kit installed when I got it. I've since changed the very blue bulbs it had in it for white main beams and yellow fog lights. Light output is very good and it doesn't seem to throw an inordinate amount of stray light around. I've had my parents and a couple friends drive past me at night and they didn't find it any more offensive than anything else, and there are certainly some Acuras out there that are truly awful. Overall I'd say if you aim the beams properly and don't use something super high wattage HIDs are viable, but LEDs are probably more cost effective and easily obtained.
Old 03-13-18, 06:53 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks XenonDepot and Losiracer2 for your comments.

Must add one more item to my LS to-do list.

Eddie
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (03-14-18)
Old 03-13-18, 07:25 PM
98LS4oo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the input. I’m going to do the LED swap this spring. I’m also going to look for a set of IS wheels in 17” or 18”. Needs new tires soon anyway so I might as well update the look a little. I’ll use the stock wheels for winter tires.