LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1UZ VVTI O-ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 10:33 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Thank you for sharing this info. Can you provide your source fir the Viton O rings?
Old 04-02-18, 05:08 AM
gm52594
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the Viton O-rings from Amazon actually. $5 for a package of 5.
The following users liked this post:
BiGEZ (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 08:30 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by gm52594
I bought the Viton O-rings from Amazon actually. $5 for a package of 5.
What is brand (manufacturer) P.N. of o-rings?

Many variants of Viton material.

Where are they manufactured?

Any images you can post?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-18, 11:43 PM
WanganPro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT-i Screw Plug

Since this is a similar forum, I hope I'm going by this the right way. I'm a new member of Club Lexus, hey guys. I have a UCF21 Lexus LS400 with the 1UZ-FE VVT-i V8. Well, I'm going through the same exact process of replacing the gaskets. I've purchased the same ones listed on this thread, and I want to thank you all for the on-point information. However, I've ran into a mishap. Both my mechanic and I have lost the Oil Plug screw that screws inside of the VVT-i gear and cam gear. I don't know where else I could find this plug because I cannot find the entire assembly for my engine. Can someone please direct me to where I could purchase just the screw, or an assembly that contains the same screw? Is it able to cross platform from the 2JZ onto the 1UZ VVT-i? Here's some photos of what I'm talking about.
Old 04-02-18, 11:51 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

Give these guys a call....
It's a salvage yard on the N edge of Phx but the majority of their inventory is Lexus.
http://thelexusking.com
Old 04-02-18, 11:54 PM
WanganPro
Driver School Candidate

Default VVT-i Screw Plug

Originally Posted by bradland
Give these guys a call....
It's a salvage yard on the N edge of Phx but the majority of their inventory is Lexus.
http://thelexusking.com
Thank you so much brother, I appreciate it. It's the only thing keeping my car from running and I need to get to work!
Old 04-03-18, 06:09 AM
gm52594
Rookie

That screw is called the camshaft "screw plug". Part number is 90341-27008 from Lexus and is $13.16. Any Toyota/Lexus dealer should be able to get it.

As far as the O-ring, like I said I got it from Amazon. I do not have the package in front of me but it was just 5 O-rings in a clear bag with a sizing label on it. No manufacturer that I could see. The description was Viton O-ring, M2.0X77 with a 75A hardness.
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-05-18, 10:20 AM
WanganPro
Driver School Candidate

That screw is called the camshaft "screw plug". Part number is 90341-27008 from Lexus and is $13.16. Any Toyota/Lexus dealer should be able to get it.

As far as the O-ring, like I said I got it from Amazon. I do not have the package in front of me but it was just 5 O-rings in a clear bag with a sizing label on it. No manufacturer that I could see. The description was Viton O-ring, M2.0X77 with a 75A hardness.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NR0NUAM/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Wrong part number, I'm not talking about the flat plug. I'm talking about the long screw I'm pointing at inside the picture.
Old 04-05-18, 10:53 AM
gm52594
Rookie

I'm sorry I thought the part number I gave was for that hex bolt but I was misinformed. Try 90110-12010 - that should be correct now.
Old 04-05-18, 08:09 PM
WanganPro
Driver School Candidate

Default VVT-i Screw Plug

Parts Explosion Diagram for VVT-i and Cams assemblies
I found it, Lexus of Orlando sent me the explosion diagram with the full parts catalogue. If anyone is missing parts, please feel free to use this as a reference. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.
Old 07-26-18, 10:02 PM
mutantcolo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

That was my listing the OP bought.

He actually helped me upgrade my selection. I did in fact go off the aforementioned post prescribing the 1/16" cross section ring.
I bought my car (1999 GS400 1UZ-FE VVT-i) damaged and with no title, to steal the engine and put it in my beloved 1989 Toyota Xtracab pickup. That's how I learned about the O-Ring replacement technique. I also have a 1982 Toyota Supra with a 1JZ VVT-i, bought the replacement ring for that from Driftmotion.

I looked on eBay as I always do, and there was one listing for the product on the entire website.

I thought these two places need competition, so I ordered in bulk and threw them on eBay.
They began to sell rapidly the first week.
This gentleman was the first (and only) person to give any feedback or guidance. I now sell a beefier cross section ring that lands between the M2x77 (expensive in my experience) and the 151 (too big).

There is another listing on eBay that undercuts my price, but I bought one of his rings, it's not what I sell. I don't think it's an advisable product, as per the topic of this thread.

It sounds like you can buy the metric ring pretty cheap, but I stand behind my listing as the best option available. I won't even add a link to it here, to be a good forum neighbor.

Thanks,

- Nick

Last edited by mutantcolo; 07-26-18 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 05:36 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by mutantcolo
Hi,

That was my listing the OP bought.

He actually helped me upgrade my selection. I did in fact go off the aforementioned post prescribing the 1/16" cross section ring.
I bought my car (1999 GS400 1UZ-FE VVT-i) damaged and with no title, to steal the engine and put it in my beloved 1989 Toyota Xtracab pickup. That's how I learned about the O-Ring replacement technique. I also have a 1982 Toyota Supra with a 1JZ VVT-i, bought the replacement ring for that from Driftmotion.

I looked on eBay as I always do, and there was one listing for the product on the entire website.

I thought these two places need competition, so I ordered in bulk and threw them on eBay.
They began to sell rapidly the first week.
This gentleman was the first (and only) person to give any feedback or guidance. I now sell a beefier cross section ring that lands between the M2x77 (expensive in my experience) and the 151 (too big).

There is another listing on eBay that undercuts my price, but I bought one of his rings, it's not what I sell. I don't think it's an advisable product, as per the topic of this thread.

It sounds like you can buy the metric ring pretty cheap, but I stand behind my listing as the best option available. I won't even add a link to it here, to be a good forum neighbor.

Thanks,

- Nick
What is your eBay username ?
Old 07-28-18, 11:26 AM
mutantcolo
Driver School Candidate

mutantcolors, which I tried to use here, but I ran out of characters. Never had that happen before.
So instead of trying to be clever and reinvent a username I've used 15 years, I just went with mutantcolo and called it good.
Old 12-07-20, 09:22 PM
bradland

I ended up using the M2x77 Viton O-rings on my VVTI pulleys. The US size 151 were too thick with a cross section of .103”.

The O-rings I used were a cross section of .079” which was a 29% squeeze on the O-ring and it felt correct when reassembling. Not too much, not too little. I should have it running tomorrow if I get some time to work on it and I’ll report back, but I expect no issues.

Also, you can take the gears out if you wish, just make sure to index each one for reassembly. I took mine all apart and cleaned all the varnish from them. They were “sticky” initially but now the gears mesh and move MUCH smoother in the housing.

I may be able to find a good section of my old quad ring if someone still wants it. At this point I wasn’t going to wait around to have one specially made but if that’s an option for people in the future that’d be great.
It would be interesting, and helpful, if someone could get their hands on a new timing tube assembly and take it apart to inspect the O-ring.
So many forum topics are repeated hundreds of times but this one still hasn't been solved in a definitive fashion...
Old 12-08-20, 07:17 AM
mutantcolo
Driver School Candidate

I continue to sell the o-ring between the metric M2x77 and the SAE 151 with no issue. I've sold thousands at this point, and to this day the only feedback I've gotten was from the OP of this thread.

It's settled definitively in my mind.

mutantcolors on eBay. Again, my rings are not the same as the others. There have been a few Johnny come Lately sellers of these who for the most part have vanished. I've tried them all. Not the same and most often not Viton.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (12-08-20)

Quick Reply: 1UZ VVTI O-ring