LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with clunk click when turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 12:59 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyy
Hello All

I’m sorry for not posting back I had a bad situation that I had to leave Canada as there was a political problem between my government and the Canadian government, however, I could’t leave my beautiful LS behind so I got approval to ship it overseas. Took 45 days to go to the middle east. After I got the car I replaced the battery and put it in the shop to change 4 struts, outer and inner tie rods, sway bar links, steering rack bushings, 4 wheel bearings, lower control arms, 4 tires, front struts rods, parking brake shoes and then alignment,and force road wheel balance.

I didn’t need to replace all these parts, but I want it to be in 100% perfect condition. As I have replaced many other things almost everything in this car all suspensions, oils, fluids, sensors, plugs, starter, alternator, breaks.. etc.

I just want to keep it for ever, it will always remind me of Canada.

However, that didn’t solve two things.

1st: the problem with clunk when I turned the wheel and this was from the subframe bolts, I thought I did tighten them enough when I was in Canada and I don’t want to over tighten the bolts, but my uncle did it for me and the clunk gone.

The 2nd, the front driver side wheel , when I kick the tire is not solid and there is little rattle , the other side is really solid, and when I drive in a bad road I hear rattling from the front driver side. My uncle checked it and found out the problem in the steering column , but we didn’t fix it. I had to go to Australia.

I will check around to see what part I need to fix the steering column.

now I have RX in Australia

so, thank you Drifter for your suggestion about the subframe. And I would like to thank everyone for sharing their experience.

After I took it from the port

Vehicle Test center for Registration process
Just diagnosed a front end clunk in a 1993 LS400 that escaped a repair shop...one of the front springs was broken near top..

Measuring tire to fender well lip clearance with finger count provided one side was lower.

Back on the lift noticed the broken front spring.

Notice your vehicle is on a lift..

Is the shop using split jack pads...or are they just crushing the frame rail body seams ?

Inspect your vehicle for damage.

Slotted pucks like these are used on lift pads to avoid crushing frame rail welded seams.

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-18-19 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 05:07 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyy
1st: the problem with clunk when I turned the wheel and this was from the subframe bolts, I thought I did tighten them enough when I was in Canada and I don’t want to over tighten the bolts, but my uncle did it for me and the clunk gone.

The 2nd, the front driver side wheel , when I kick the tire is not solid and there is little rattle , the other side is really solid, and when I drive in a bad road I hear rattling from the front driver side. My uncle checked it and found out the problem in the steering column , but we didn’t fix it. I had to go to Australia.

I will check around to see what part I need to fix the steering column.
I have a very similar sounding problem with my steering column...

Can you grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and vertically move it up and down a couple of mm'? Can you get in the driver footwell and press up on the column linkage and feel the entire assembly move up and down? Do you get clunks as the column moves during normal driving and not just from turning the wheel?

I had a shop find the problem, they took apart the column and tl;dr they believe it's a bearing inside that is not in production anymore. Solution was to find a used steering column, which was a bridge too far for me.
Old 12-23-19, 07:25 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I have a very similar sounding problem with my steering column...

Can you grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and vertically move it up and down a couple of mm'? Can you get in the driver footwell and press up on the column linkage and feel the entire assembly move up and down? Do you get clunks as the column moves during normal driving and not just from turning the wheel?

I had a shop find the problem, they took apart the column and tl;dr they believe it's a bearing inside that is not in production anymore. Solution was to find a used steering column, which was a bridge too far for me.

I will check that when I go for family visit, for the clunk I only hear it when the road is bad and cracked. No clunk when turning.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-23-19, 07:37 AM
Johnnyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Just diagnosed a front end clunk in a 1993 LS400 that escaped a repair shop...one of the front springs was broken near top..

Measuring tire to fender well lip clearance with finger count provided one side was lower.

Back on the lift noticed the broken front spring.

Notice your vehicle is on a lift..

Is the shop using split jack pads...or are they just crushing the frame rail body seams ?

Inspect your vehicle for damage.

Slotted pucks like these are used on lift pads to avoid crushing frame rail welded seams.
Yes, they used something like that, but not many shops using this which is really bad.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-19-20, 12:02 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the same noise after replacing right lower ball joint.