LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fortifying rear suspension crossmember braces

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 02:58 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by 93LS500
i could be reading this post wrong but my last ls400 ucf10 had these braces and some in the front modified when i bought it, mine look to be a manufactured piece from another car not a custom OE one like yours.

I didnt realize it untill i was parting the old car and i swapped the "modified" braces to my new LS

I go drifting all the time and noticed less wheel hop at a familiar track and a longer lasting alignment with these modified ones,however other things were modified at the same time i installed these so who knows
Room for improvement in OEM suspension mounts and brackets....not just for increases power handling but stability, ride quality (not interested in increase NVH).

Replaced my front lower control arm assemblies and was horrified at how flimsy the lower stamped steel shock mounting bracket is....too easy to flex with my bare hands.

Lots of talk about ways to increase engine power but scant amount about necessary improvements to affected driveline, suspension and chassis .areas.

No doubt it is flexing underway...

From a project perspective this is great...

I located 20.items on rear suspension carrier assembly and front suspension that would respond well to slight welding or minor bracing fortification..

The upper rear control arms are stamped steel with open channels and no doubt flexing underway.

Reminds me of upper and lower front control arms of the 60s'-80's..( the Lexus design is evolved) which was remedied by boxing channel areas closest to bushing and ball joint ends.

The issue with boxxing the whole upper rear control arm assembly is that it would double the weight..and probably negate the benefits of fortifying the assembly...however selective bracing with up to 1 pound of steel plate closest to carrier would make a difference.

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-21-18 at 03:03 PM.