LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 Lexus LS400 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 02:19 AM
Iwearshaqs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 Lexus LS400 coilovers

what brand coilovers will do best for my 98 ls400?
Old 05-13-18, 07:38 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

This is vastely debated theme in this forum. Here a few links.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-97-ls400.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...uld-i-get.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...is-better.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ort-price.html

As you can see. There was already a few discussions about this.

One element would be if you research a certain type of ride. This is not an often debated subject. Also, for example, many of the top contestants recommended on this forum are illegal in Switzerland. Airbags, BC, D2, Megans. No one of the them are allowed on the street. I don't even know what I will be able to choose from when I will upgrade my car.
Old 05-13-18, 08:15 AM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at D2, Ksport, Megan, and BC. A lot of positive feedback from other folks here on the Megans. Same for the BC coilovers. Personally, I chose the BC BR series for my 2000 and I couldn't be happier for what I paid for them. After damper adjustments, I feel like they ride pretty smooth. I also changed out my rear camber, toe, and traction arms with adjustable Godspeed arms. Also, the BC coilovers are supposed to be re-buildable, from what I've read.
Old 05-13-18, 11:19 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you for your precisions Leeroy. I'm interested in one point. You have also putted different camber, toe and traction arms from Godspeed. What was your goal into taking those mesures ? Wasn't the original arms able to widstand the modification or did you wanted to add the ability to modify the settings of your drivetrains (If I remember right the Godspeed are fully adjustable) ?
If I read you right, you say that those coilovers are giving you a smooth ride, I guess you have the original BC setup of 12k front and 8k rear. But is it firmier than the original coilovers or are they like the same with a lower ride ?
Old 05-14-18, 08:00 AM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Thank you for your precisions Leeroy. I'm interested in one point. You have also putted different camber, toe and traction arms from Godspeed. What was your goal into taking those mesures ? Wasn't the original arms able to widstand the modification or did you wanted to add the ability to modify the settings of your drivetrains (If I remember right the Godspeed are fully adjustable) ?
If I read you right, you say that those coilovers are giving you a smooth ride, I guess you have the original BC setup of 12k front and 8k rear. But is it firmier than the original coilovers or are they like the same with a lower ride ?
My goal with the Godspeed arms was quite simple. My old arms were worn out, and instead of going through the trouble of replacing the bushings I opted to buy aftermarket adjustable arms. When pricing vs. OEM arms, the Godspeed product was quite a bit less expensive, more adjustable, and built sturdier. In regards to the ride on the coilovers, yes they are the original BC spring rates, and no, they definitely don't ride like OEM. They are obviously stiffer, but not to the point of being rough. I think the fact that I am not totally slammed out is allowing me to ride quite a bit softer than others who are fully slammed. Personally, I prefer the way the car handles now vs. OEM.