LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 and 90 transmission issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 08:11 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Unhappy 95 and 90 transmission issues.

i need to get this sorted out because im sick of it.

95 - wont shift into 4th gear and wont downshift sometimes. shutters when i come to a stop, sometimes stalls out, but doesnt when i shift into neutral when coming to a stop. check engine light says the selanoid is bad -worst case scenario ofcourse, as always. now check engine light is out but sometimes the "3" is lit up no matter what position im in, and wont leave second gear, but it comes and goes. slapped another ecu in, check engine light comes back, issues dont change, but mentions nothing about the transmission and says the cats are bad. there is also a serious vacuum leak i cannot pinpoint the source of.

90. goes into gear, doesnt slip but goes into D and R very hard. 1&2 is a stumble but shifts through all 4 gears. gets worse when it heats up and wont downshift like the 95. ODO Off light flashing, but it also comes and goes.

ive heard everything from the transmissions in both cars are taking a dump on me, to speed sensors, to dirty fluid. what am i really looking at here?

im assuming it will be the most expensive, horrible worst case secnario that can possibly happen, as it always is with any car i get, but hoping its something easy and cheap, but never is.

help me guys. please
Old 05-25-18, 02:54 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

i had the shuddering to a stop issue on my 97. You have a bad SL lockup solenoid. Its about $300 from Lexus. But I lucked out and found one from a 95 and put it in mine and my issue went away.

You'll know yours is bad when you remove it and shake it. It'll sound like something's rattling, meaning the solenoid has come apart internally.

I would only replace it with OEM Lexus as the aftermarket ones don't fit correctly without modification.

Here's the thread I made about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-solenoid.html
Old 05-25-18, 08:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

X2 on something happening with the lock up clutch. Hmmm I thought you worked at a Lexus dealer??? Should have some good connections there.
On the 90 ? If it wasn't the heating up changing it I'd have the ECU as one guess, since it does control both engine and transmission. It could be a case of someone using the fits all transmission fluid too.
Old 05-26-18, 09:08 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
i had the shuddering to a stop issue on my 97. You have a bad SL lockup solenoid. Its about $300 from Lexus. But I lucked out and found one from a 95 and put it in mine and my issue went away.

You'll know yours is bad when you remove it and shake it. It'll sound like something's rattling, meaning the solenoid has come apart internally.

I would only replace it with OEM Lexus as the aftermarket ones don't fit correctly without modification.

Here's the thread I made about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-solenoid.html
ECU code said solenoid was bad. thats one of the codes i got. is it easy to get to or do i have to pull the whole tranny out?
Old 05-26-18, 12:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Solenoids are on the valve body and that is accessible by dropping the transmission oil pan.
Old 05-26-18, 10:46 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
ECU code said solenoid was bad. thats one of the codes i got. is it easy to get to or do i have to pull the whole tranny out?
you've got to drain the pan and undo the transmission pan and take the dipstick out. Then remove the strainer (which you should replace) and then you can undo the solenoid.

I used a gasket and strainer kit, to make it easier on myself instead of that FIPG that they do at the factory. Its a lot easier to use a gasket. Mine is working fine after a year and a half and 20k miles after replacement of the solenoid.