LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fan shroud issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 06:35 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fan shroud issue

Is the fan shroud necessary? Mine is zip tied on and occasionally the fan will hit it..... annoying! Finding a new one seems unnecessary so can i remove it altogether?
Old 05-26-18, 08:34 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, it is your car, so remove it until you can find one at a salvage yard for cheap.. I would think in Nebraska you would not need "increased cooling" anyway.
I sure would not listen to the ticking noise on mine
Old 12-06-20, 05:57 PM
mrmox
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BUZZING in radiator/fan area was fan shroud

My daughter drove up with a VERY INTERMITTENT (unpredictable) buzzing sound in the 1991 LS400 under the hood. Sounded like plastic contact kind of thing, and upon removal of cover piece straight above the fan, I was able to see the FAN SHROUD was flapping in the breeze. All 3 (I think) attachment points had failed. Luckily I had some of those foot long zip ties and by drilling a few holes through the shroud I was able to secure it for another 20 K miles I hope! If she leaves it here a week again I may try some JB Weld that someone else suggested! Anyone know if I need to find a point at the underneath to secure also? Thanks!

One of the failed attachments

Strategically placed zip tie (1 of 3)

Looped around a corner to require no drill holes

Old 12-06-20, 11:21 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts

I epoxied one of mine and its already come loose in just a couple months.Think JB weld sounds like a very good idea.

Edit-I noticed no sign ins for Billydpowe in 5 months.Hope he is OK.

Last edited by spuds; 12-06-20 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-08-20, 06:16 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
I epoxied one of mine and its already come loose in just a couple months.Think JB weld sounds like a very good idea.

Edit-I noticed no sign ins for Billydpowe in 5 months.Hope he is OK.
Haven't seen one from Dicer either in quite a while. Hope all the elder members are okay in these times.
Old 12-09-20, 11:37 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 314 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Sargon
How to drive safely without a shroud?
Minimum speed 35 mph.
You can drive safely at any speed without it but when working on the engine while engine is running is not safe without it.

Originally Posted by mrmox
My daughter drove up with a VERY INTERMITTENT (unpredictable) buzzing sound in the 1991 LS400 under the hood. Sounded like plastic contact kind of thing, and upon removal of cover piece straight above the fan, I was able to see the FAN SHROUD was flapping in the breeze. All 3 (I think) attachment points had failed. Luckily I had some of those foot long zip ties and by drilling a few holes through the shroud I was able to secure it for another 20 K miles I hope! If she leaves it here a week again I may try some JB Weld that someone else suggested! Anyone know if I need to find a point at the underneath to secure also? Thanks!
I swear by JB Weld, it has never failed me any time I used it, even on plastic. (if you surround the whole thing) Zip ties are good for almost everything but if I was you I wouldn't keep it wrapped around that water line, and also that high tech battery hold down bungie cord on the same water line.
As for the bottom of the fan shroud; there's 2 clips on the bottom where it just slides into. You can see it here, #s 18-19. https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...VkIFByb2R1Y3Rz
Just to keep your daughter safe and not getting stuck somewhere I would check out the power steering pump leaking down onto the alternator. Looks like there's alot of fluid there.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (12-09-20)