LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My story buying and fixing a 95 LS400 that was gonna be junked

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 03:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas
Something extremely bad happened. I was driving along when, as I hit the gas a little, I heard a loud air type noise. Got close to home and the car wouldn't go past 25mph. It wouldn't go into third gear and getting to 25mph was taking probably a half minute or more...

So I had a mechanic come look and it's what I THOUGHT IT WAS the whole time except everything I did seemed to help until the car was running okay and suddenly whatever vacuum line it is just busted.

So good news, just a vacuum leak. However it is somewhere hidden within the motor... Not visible from anywhere... That's the problem.

Here's the real problem. I was given a Ford Focus which I hate but is reliable and my condition is that I get the car out of where it's stranded right now - my parents house. I can possibly bring it to where I live but life hit me hard...

You see, my roommate and landlord is a hardcore junkie. Me and my wife had to stay here because we would have literally been homeless... It was our last choice.

I've been so down about the car and this morning, well, this junkie landlord is apparently mad and is gonna want to fight or hell possibly shoot me when I go home today. Me and my wife need to get out.

I need to find a place to store my LS400 - I can't sell it! Not now!

And at the same time, I have to take this daily driver because I'm saving so much on gas and reliability. FML.

I had to get it off my chest... I didn't even want to come back here til now. I feel very upset but that's life. Whoever believes, pray for me. Thanks people. I will do my best to keep the car.

been in a situation like that once too my dude. sadly, i didnt make it out with my beloved 1990 LS400 i had for years and rebuilt myself. dont loose that car man your heart will hurt forever. anyway since ur local, if you have a tag on the car you can stash it at my place for awhile. im sure my 95 and 00 can share the driveway with it. lmk.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (06-14-18)
Old 06-13-18, 05:23 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Prayers sent and WTG Stereorob.
Old 06-14-18, 04:23 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
been in a situation like that once too my dude. sadly, i didnt make it out with my beloved 1990 LS400 i had for years and rebuilt myself. dont loose that car man your heart will hurt forever. anyway since ur local, if you have a tag on the car you can stash it at my place for awhile. im sure my 95 and 00 can share the driveway with it. lmk.
Are you serious? Call me a ***** but your generosity literally put a tear in my eye. I read this after trying to figure out what I'm gonna do all morning. Yeah, it has a plate Rob and if you are gonna do this for me... You need anything... I got you...
​​​​
We live in a world of selfish people so for you to offer this to me... It means a lot.

Guys, from here on out know that StereoRob is the man.

I will be contacting you brother.

It's your place, your rules, but if you don't mind having me work on the car, I think I can fix it myself which is what I wanted to do anyway - I just couldn't have it not running for a few days cause I'm busy. But either way, I can at least save up the money to restore this baby.

And Rob, you need help with your cars - call me. I'll PM you. I cannot believe the generosity.

And I appreciate the prayers Spud. Thank you.
Old 06-14-18, 04:55 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas
Guys, from here on out know that StereoRob is the man.
And I appreciate the prayers Spud. Thank you.
I'll keep you both in my prayers,and Sterorob,you are one heck of a standup guy,I am honored to know you.
Old 06-14-18, 05:47 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

no problem. and i dont need praise. its just the right thing to do! i was absolutley heartbroken when i lost my original 90 ten years ago due to a ****ty situation. i litreally saw it get crushed and it still hurts to think about. i had that car from 17 till 25 and put my heart and soul into it. rebuilt it back from nothing, like what rokas is doing. seeing it die was flat out painful.
Old 06-15-18, 03:39 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stereorob
no problem. and i dont need praise. its just the right thing to do! i was absolutley heartbroken when i lost my original 90 ten years ago due to a ****ty situation. i litreally saw it get crushed and it still hurts to think about. i had that car from 17 till 25 and put my heart and soul into it. rebuilt it back from nothing, like what rokas is doing. seeing it die was flat out painful.
Let's just say that you're building some very good karma. And you best believe I'll pay it forward. I'm excited to see what both of us can do. Try to get Rob's 95 road-worthy too.
​​​
Old 06-18-18, 12:10 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

I'm still in shock a little bit and way too stressed out but I've been thinking about what I'm gonna do.

Now that Rob offered me a spot, thankfully I don't have to worry about losing the car and also I decided I'm gonna go ahead and do my first timing belt job. If I can't do that at Rob's, I'll find a spot somehow. But I was thinking about it and I looked at a tutorial and video for it and I understand everything. I'm confident I can do it.

When I first got this car, I visualized myself redoing the whole motor and surprise, I might actually be taking it apart.

I'm hoping I can find the vacuum leak as I start dismantling the engine and even if not, I don't mind paying someone to do it if I can drive the car without worrying about my belt snapping. Rob pointed out that it's a misconception that the 95-97 is non-interference so there's no way I'm gonna drive it before I change the belt.

I'm at a really stressful point in life and I hope I can get this done and sooner rather than later. Thanks for the support.