LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking at 91 Lexus what should I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 05:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by will77
. The dent doesn’t bother me horribly but I’d want to fix it if I could eventually. How much does a junkyard fender run?
I usually don't get into these "what's my car worth" threads b/c it's hard to tell not seeing it in person. But that fender looks familiar to me.
I would take a good look at the inner fender and all the suspension parts on that side. That is exactly what my fender looked like when my upper ball joint snapped and bent the fender from the inside out. The tierods were bent and messed up alot of the front end on mine. It looks like the bumper is damaged from a different accident. It's also not a well equipped LS400. No traction control, heated seats, sunroof, or Air suspension. (sometimes a good thing) Looks like it had, or has, some oil leaks if that's where it's usually parked. (lots of spots on the ground) If the steering pump has been replaced I would check the alternator to see if that's covered in fluid from the pump. You can use all that as a bargaining chip. I would offer him 8-900 and go no higher then $1100. Tell him you're gonna need to spend alot to fix the other stuff you mentioned I'm sure he's checked to see what it would cost when the stuff stopped working.

Oh, Um, what's with the carpet on the dashboard? It's molded in there so it's been there a while. Might be covering up a very badly cracked dash. Check that out.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 05:34 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I usually don't get into these "what's my car worth" threads b/c it's hard to tell not seeing it in person. But that fender looks familiar to me.
I would take a good look at the inner fender and all the suspension parts on that side. That is exactly what my fender looked like when my upper ball joint snapped and bent the fender from the inside out. The tierods were bent and messed up alot of the front end on mine.
Great catch and great advice deanshark.
Old 06-08-18, 05:56 PM
will77
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I would take a good look at the inner fender and all the suspension parts on that side. That is exactly what my fender looked like when my upper ball joint snapped and bent the fender from the inside out. The tierods were bent and messed up alot of the front end on mine. It looks like the bumper is damaged from a different accident. It's also not a well equipped LS400. No traction control, heated seats, sunroof, or Air suspension. (sometimes a good thing) Looks like it had, or has, some oil leaks if that's where it's usually parked. (lots of spots on the ground) If the steering pump has been replaced I would check the alternator to see if that's covered in fluid from the pump. You can use all that as a bargaining chip. I would offer him 8-900 and go no higher then $1100. Tell him you're gonna need to spend alot to fix the other stuff you mentioned I'm sure he's checked to see what it would cost when the stuff stopped working.

Oh, Um, what's with the carpet on the dashboard? It's molded in there so it's been there a while. Might be covering up a very badly cracked dash. Check that out.
Thanks for the advice. I know when I was looking at the records I did see the u joints had been replaced. I looked under the carpet and didn’t see any cracks in the dash. I will ask him more about the fender tomorrow and see what the shop says when I have them look at it. It does have a sunroof but no traction control or heated seats. I don’t mind that though, less electrical things to go wrong. Those pictures were taken by the owner in a parking lot so those could be oil stains from anyone. I didn’t notice any underneath the car when I went to meet him at his home where I assume it’s usually parked.
Old 06-08-18, 06:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by will77
Thanks for the advice. I know when I was looking at the records....
That’s a real plus in my book.Getting it inspected....you are really doing your due diligence.

Last edited by spuds; 06-08-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 07:37 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i’d buy it for 1000bux with 300k miles given the condition the leather alone is in, these billion dollar tanks are indestructible.
Old 06-09-18, 10:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

That car is totaled. Its a 500 dollar if that. A junk yard would pay what? $100. if your lucky.
Old 06-12-18, 12:57 AM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
That car is totaled. Its a 500 dollar if that. A junk yard would pay what? $100. if your lucky.
Talk about location location location. That car would be worth $2000 here easy. I paid $2000 for my first gen Celsior (89) and its got a threadbare cloth interior, most panels have small dents or scratches, the clear coat is stuffed, tires needed replacing, the centre console does not work (no power to anything there, except the Traction Control switch), the steering and seat belt shoulder actuators don't work (jammed), the PS pump and rack leaked and the rack mounts were non-existent.
Yeah, now I feel like I've just talked myself into a bad case of depression.
Still, the Engine and entire drive train is cherry and now most of the above mentioned issues are either sorted or getting sorted.
Interior and Paint are going to be a pain for me.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: In Australia, the car would sell for that no problem.
Old 06-12-18, 07:06 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMidd
Talk about location location location.
Exactly. Depends on what part of the country, or world, that you're located. Plus, anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It might be worth $500 to you but $1000 to someone else b/c they need it more.