LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking at 91 Lexus what should I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 10:35 PM
will77
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking at 91 Lexus what should I pay?

Just wondering what you all think I should offer for a 91 Lexus with 194k I’m looking at. They are asking $1600. I was going to offer 1000 and go up from there but not more than 1300. The car exterior and interior are in good condition overall. No rips in the seats, paint is still pretty glossy on most parts. Only problems are lcd display for a/c doesn’t work, dent in drivers side fender, tach not working, and drivers side electronic lock not working. Car has had new power steering pump at 150k and New timing belt/water pump at 185k. Any other problems I should look for with the car? I’ve attached photos as well.

Old 06-07-18, 11:13 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

I sold my 91, my 1st LS, approx 10 years ago for $1000. It was in WAY better shape than the car in these photos. No dents, AC still blew ice cold, interior as good as could be expected. Granted at the time I probably could have got more but I was in a hurry to sell. So what is a 91 worth 10 years later...? IMHO this is an $800 car at best.
Old 06-07-18, 11:23 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

look for something else. these cars, in GREAT shape go for like 2,000.
Old 06-08-18, 12:07 AM
will77
Driver School Candidate

So sounds like the consensus is I shouldn’t even make an offer? Or walk if they want anything more than 8 or 900. I’m in Los Angeles so I guess I’m used to the inflated values here. I looked at a 93 last week that was 1600 with ripped seats and no service records. The other first gen cars on Craigslist in this area are all between 1600 and 4500. The $4500 car has 98k and is in excellent condition but I could buy a 98-00 for that price.
Old 06-08-18, 12:17 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Looks better than most Ive seen in LA area.1300 should be doable.I say look at it. 1600 is hoopty range IMO out here.With our junk yard great sources out here,you can get the parts.Dont the fenders unbolt on these? If so,getting one in your color should be also doable.

I'd take a look,you might have found a diamond in the rough and steal the thing.take it for a ride,never know. Looking is free.
Old 06-08-18, 12:30 AM
will77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spuds
Looks better than most Ive seen in LA area.1300 should be doable.I say look at it. 1600 is hoopty range IMO out here.With our junk yard great sources out here,you can get the parts.Dont the fenders unbolt on these? If so,getting one in your color should be also doable.

I'd take a look,you might have found a diamond in the rough and steal the thing.take it for a ride,never know. Looking is free.
Glad to know I’m not crazy for thinking this might be a fair deal for the LA area. I guess I should’ve mentioned I went to look at it tonight. Mechanically I don’t see anything wrong with it. I test drove it and the brakes felt good not spongy, suspension was pretty tight, no creaks or clunks goIng over rough pavement, when I floored it to merge onto the highway the transmission downshifted smoothly and the engine did not hesitate and was able to smoke the tires pulling away from a stop, all the electronics work on the interior other than the tachometer, no rips in the leather. I wanted to ask the experts though to see if it would be worth it to go back this weekend, get it checked by a mechanic and make an offer.
Old 06-08-18, 12:36 AM
spuds
Racer

What Im NOT is an expert.I have a general knowledge opinion,offer 1300 and if it dumps tomorrow you are out what,1300 and dmv fee's? If it lasts a year we are talking 120/month or so,thats reasonable.After that,its all gravy IMO.Sounds like a bargain in my book,BUT,IM NO EXPERT HERE.Sounds like it runs well.The fact that the interior is in good shape tells me this car was cared for.

I paid 2500 for mine and thats how I feel about it.We are talking chump change really.

Last edited by spuds; 06-08-18 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 02:15 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Paid 1700 aud for worse but with less miles. Check it out.
Old 06-08-18, 05:36 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

1st gens are pretty rare around here. bombed out ones will run anywhere from 500-2000. clean ones are closer to 3k. pristine time capsule cars (if you can find one) are still a premium at around 4-5k
Old 06-08-18, 08:03 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by will77
Just wondering what you all think I should offer for a 91 Lexus with 194k I’m looking at. They are asking $1600. I was going to offer 1000 and go up from there but not more than 1300. The car exterior and interior are in good condition overall. No rips in the seats, paint is still pretty glossy on most parts. Only problems are lcd display for a/c doesn’t work, dent in drivers side fender, tach not working, and drivers side electronic lock not working. Car has had new power steering pump at 150k and New timing belt/water pump at 185k. Any other problems I should look for with the car? I’ve attached photos as well.
Looks pretty good to me, other than the dented fender of course. Pricing depends on your options, and you can probably tell better what they go for in your area that people throughout the US.

That's great that it has a new PS pump and TB service - those are huge pluses. You might be looking at $1500+ in costs to pay someone to do those on another lower-priced car.

On the LCD display issue, since it sounds familiar to my '91- if you have a steady hand and soldering skillz, you can solder in a new display board from eBay for around $45 (that's what mine cost a few years ago). You may have a failed door lock actuator, not a problem I had, or have read about here.

And cosmetically, if the paint still looks good, that is huge. My paint looks pretty bad by now. It was nice when I got it 10 years ago from my in-laws, since they garaged it all the time (in SoCal). But up here in NorCal, I park it outside 24x7, and the paint went pretty quickly - started with clearcoat peeling on the hood, etc.
Old 06-08-18, 08:26 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by oldskewel

That's great that it has a new PS pump and TB service - those are huge pluses. You might be looking at $1500+ in costs to pay someone to do those on another lower-priced car.And cosmetically, if the paint still looks good, that is huge.
Yes! You already have 2 major maintenance areas paid for.Really sounds like this car was cared for.Tell you what,look at a couple more quickly and see if they in any way compare to this one,if they dont,you know this car is a deal.Its only big issue appears to be the fender IMO,if that doesnt bug you,you are OK.Me,it bugs me,so I would wait for one without body damage and pay a bit more,thats a choice between a car that gets you there reliably vrs one when you arrive looks straight too.Up to your needs/wants on that.The LCD and instrument cluster are a dime a dozen out here.Our junk yards are packed with early 90's cars.If/when you decide to put money into it,the rubber suspension parts may be needed.

As for miles,if maintained,they are moot.I was taught that here,and its true.Another thing I was told was....What else can you buy for 2,500,a honda that is worn out and beat to hell?

I'll tell you what has worked for me on buying used cars is buying the owner,not the car.

The Lexus I bought from a lexus service manager,his lifetime dream car he had to sell as they were moving to snow country,nuff said on that one.

My truck I bought from 1st owner, an electrician and his teacher wife.Nice neighborhood,good money folks.So truck wound up having been well maintained.

My Jeep I bought from a veterinarian,2nd owner,again moneyed person in a nice neighborhood,it too was really well maintained.

The VW transporter was an old guy,2nd owner,who was going blind and had to stop driving.I bought his baby,he had to approve ME as a buyer.

The baja bug was a little different,it was in drivable shape but getting tired.I had a VW pro rebuild all the suspension,engine,transaxle when time came.I had a new car for far less than the cost of a new car.

Im willing to wait to get car I want,not jump at anything because Im anxious.

If I see trash on the streets and barred windows,Im not buying a car there.Parts yes,car no.That plan has really served me well.

Last edited by spuds; 06-08-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 10:17 AM
will77
Driver School Candidate

I’ve looked at 3 or 4 different ones over the past month and this one is actually the cleanest I’ve seen so far under $2000. There is one other one I’m going to try to look at if the guy ever responds to my message. The dent doesn’t bother me horribly but I’d want to fix it if I could eventually. How much does a junkyard fender run?
Old 06-08-18, 12:29 PM
spuds
Racer

Fenders run 40-50 bucks in socal at Pick your part.Instrument cluster is 27 bucks,

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...ia-292/prices/

here is fender removal on a 1st gen sc,not sure about LS400,im searching on that...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...moval-diy.html

This thread says LS400 is a removable fender with bolts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...cf20-21-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-removal.html

Last edited by spuds; 06-08-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 01:33 PM
spuds
Racer

Heck,even found a blue fendered car in Monrovia on a 1990 LEXUS LS400
Store: LKQ Pick Your Part - Monrovia
Section: Imports
Row: i-9
Space: 6
Color: Blue
Available On: 6/5/2018

Looking at 91 Lexus what should I pay?-loal71k.jpg

Last edited by spuds; 06-08-18 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 03:41 PM
will77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spuds
Heck,even found a blue fendered car in Monrovia on a 1990 LEXUS LS400
Store: LKQ Pick Your Part - Monrovia
Section: Imports
Row: i-9
Space: 6
Color: Blue
Available On: 6/5/2018

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to keep that in mind if I end up getting it.

Quick Reply: Looking at 91 Lexus what should I pay?