LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is likely to be the cause of a vacuum leak somewhere within the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 10:42 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is likely to be the cause of a vacuum leak somewhere within the engine?

Soon I will be opening up the engine to my 95 LS400 with 200k miles and while one of my goals is to change the timing belt and water pump, I have a very bad vacuum leak somewhere inside the engine. When I say inside, I mean somewhere you can't see it without removing at least the throttle body.

At this point, it has gotten so bad that the car barely chugs to 25mph!

I want to know what is likely to be the culprit so I can look for it when I do the timing belt. If I can't fix the leak, there's no point in doing crap!

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions or pointers.

Should I use a dye first?
Old 06-22-18, 11:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

you can't add dye to air...which is what is leaked when there is a vacuum problem.
BUT what makes you think it's a vacuum problem? do you hear an audible hiss in the engine?

I would try to fix the car's inability to go faster first before tackling a timing belt job.
start with the ECU. inspect it for leaking capacitors:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 06-22-18, 11:15 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Following....looks like this will be a good learning thread.
Old 06-22-18, 08:43 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

I suspect that the gasket used for the intake manifold is causing your problem. You can check it using a smoke machine.
Old 06-23-18, 05:17 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
I suspect that the gasket used for the intake manifold is causing your problem. You can check it using a smoke machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP2ffBSD2A0
Thanks man. That's the type of info I need!

Yes there is a hissing noise... A loud one. And guys, of course I wouldn't do the belt if I can't fix this but I'm hoping to do both. The belt is so old (over 200k miles) that I'm afraid to drive the car period.

Anyway, it was hissing for a long time and the other week it went from a hissing sound to a straight up loud blowing air... Hard to describe...

​​​​I had a (real) mechanic come by and that's what he diagnosed. He was able to show me how there is a certain noise if you give the car throttle and release it real quick - you can hear it sucking in air unevenly.... Kinda like a gurgle.

Scotty Kilmer (YouTube) showed how you can use a cigar for the smoke. What is a good vacuum line to do this with? I've learned a lot but some things still elude me. You smoke the car by unhooking a vacuum hose and putting the smoke in there, correct?

I'm trying to get the car to StereoRob's where I can work on it. I'll figure it out (especially with his help) with you people's help and post pictures and everything for the future.

The intake manifold gasket might actually be the problem... The hissing is definitely coming from that area and it's not a visible hose so good chance that that's what it is. Thank you.

Any time I can't find good info on something, I always add it to my site when I figure it out so people can immediately find it in the future.

And what I said about the dye - I was tired. Leave me alone. :P

Last edited by Rokas; 06-23-18 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 08:10 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
Not quite a mechanic - he doesn't know what that fitting is, and couldn't find a nut to fit the thread.
It's tapered pipe thread, and there is no nut.
What is this in reply to? I can't understand what you're trying to say in the context of this thread.
Old 06-25-18, 03:27 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Use a spray can of carburetor cleaner with the straw nozzle for precise spraying, and see if the engine bogs down when spraying in various locations to locate the leak?
Old 06-28-18, 02:16 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EthanS
Use a spray can of carburetor cleaner with the straw nozzle for precise spraying, and see if the engine bogs down when spraying in various locations to locate the leak?
I'm glad you brought that up. I've done that both with starter fluid and carb cleaner and I suppose the leak is hidden somewhere because I got NOTHING. I even sprayed pretty big areas (while trying to avoid electronics) and didn't hit anything.

I'll ask the new owners when they fix it. I bought me a nice, white '96. Very happy.