LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake Booster and Master Cylinder Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18 | 05:16 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Default Brake Booster and Master Cylinder Rebuild

I have a 98 LS400 and Exact Motorsports, Milpitas gave me a quick hint (not a diagnostic checkup or something) that it could be a bad brake booster on a 20 year old car. Few questions before I order the part

Symptom: Pedaling has become extremely hard. I fee that too much pressure I need to apply to stop the car, even than it wont stop. I need to use my hand brake to make it to a complete stop. I shift to P while at signals. There were some screeching noise over past 2k miles when I do hard braking (some of the threads I read said that it could be due to strut bar mount bushings) before I reached this phenomena.

Should I check anything else before I order the part? I read some BB have a pipe coming off from brake booster?
I was also suggested to replace the master cylinder (a rebuilt if need not to eke $400 on a new one) with BB.
As well as Booster Check Valve (which is $60 something) - Do I need to replace the master and booster check valve as suggested?

How many hours would it costs to do the jib. I was quoted 3 hours at 120/hr in total the above replacement. Is this is the usual going rate or any suggestions near San Jose?

I discovered that a new brake booster costs almost a new car and found a place that does Brake booster rebuild and so the master cylinder for $220. Would that be the suitable (I have never heard for BB rebuild) when compared to buying a used BB from eBay? (Found a donor LS400 99 120k wiling to sell BB and MC for $140 shipped)

So many questions but I appreciate all your time and response.
Old 06-27-18 | 09:00 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

I would definitely not start replacing parts (either myself or paying someone else to) without testing this more carefully. There are a few things involved, but brakes are designed to be very simple and reliable.

First thing I'd do is check to see if the vacuum hose is still connected to the brake booster. Stuff like that. You could spend a little time searching on here to find brake system troubleshooting steps, and that would probably be more useful than a "quick hint" from a pro.
Old 06-27-18 | 11:07 PM
spuds
Racer

Sounds like every BB Ive ever had to replace.
Old 06-28-18 | 04:35 AM
Legender
Racer

Sounds dangerous to drive at the moment. Second Spuds comment... sounds like the brake booster.
Old 06-28-18 | 07:46 AM
spuds
Racer

Talking

Pickapart prices.This is what I'd do if saving a buck is necessary.I cant speak to Lexus but you and a buddy should be able to do this job,brakes as a whole are pretty easy to do.Hardest part is probably bleeding them,reading Lexus is a little tougher than most for that.Also i wouldnt have any qualms about buying these parts at junkyard,you can even buy a warranty.Good bet the parts will be good.
https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...io-280/prices/

BrakeBooster, Hydro$46.37
Brake Booster, Power$31.00
Brake Master Cylinder$19.72

Last edited by spuds; 06-28-18 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-01-18 | 03:14 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by spuds
Pickapart prices.This is what I'd do if saving a buck is necessary.I cant speak to Lexus but you and a buddy should be able to do this job,brakes as a whole are pretty easy to do.Hardest part is probably bleeding them,reading Lexus is a little tougher than most for that.Also i wouldnt have any qualms about buying these parts at junkyard,you can even buy a warranty.Good bet the parts will be good.
https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...io-280/prices/

BrakeBooster, Hydro$46.37
Brake Booster, Power$31.00
Brake Master Cylinder$19.72
Thanks much. I never know this. All I know is buying OEM/Used from eBay if not this.
Is the BB worthy to buy a use done? - I mean mine is 230k car and the rebuilding cost is like 200 vs 60 from Pick a part. So which one should I got with. How long does it usually takes a mechanic ti do it? I will ask around in meantime.
Old 07-01-18 | 06:10 PM
spuds
Racer

Its how much money do you have to spend.Nobody sends a car to pickapart because the BB failed.if you can install it,get junkyard,if you are getting slammed to hell and back on labor,get rebuilt.

If Im paying hard for labor I get new OEM,then new after market,then rebuilt.Like for a starter for example.Any time OEM isnt ridiculously priced,I go OEM on any parts I can afford to.