LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS400 resale price

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 10:43 AM
pgk
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 resale price

Hi Guys,
My dad gave me his 1990 LS400 a few years ago that has always been garaged and driven in Michigan summers only, the car has 117,323 miles on it and for its age is in very good shape. I really don't have the room to store it or the time to drive and enjoy it. What would would be a fair price to ask for it? The interior is in great shape except for one of the door panels where it meets up the windows has peeled back not sure if this can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced? The exterior has a couple of small very small dings, the plastic piece on drivers side underneath the rear quarter not sure what it's called has a small hole in it, I found on at a local body shop, just haven't had the time to replace it. I just joined this forum so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section and or broken any forum rules.
Thanks Pete

Old 07-16-18, 02:00 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

That looks great. One of the nicest old versions I've seen. I'll let others guess at the price, but whoever buys it will probably get a good deal. You won't be able to sell it for its "true" value.
Old 07-16-18, 02:18 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

id say 3500$ not a dime lower
Old 07-16-18, 02:36 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i wouldnt even give that up man. those are getting hard to come by. ill spare you all the details tho as i see you are a "whats it worth" one post wonder.

ebay and autotrader are your friends, so is craigslist. its worth what someone is willing to pay. best of luck..
Old 07-16-18, 02:45 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Low value in my book. Its a low optioned car, low miles help. Maybe 3000 ish maybe more to someone that is not into them. I wouldn't even look at it with no options.
Old 07-16-18, 11:30 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

500 bucks and you deliver to California.

Seriously its so market dependent,3000 is hoopty territory where Im at. You should find a way to keep it,it has a LOT of miles ,reliable miles,left on it.Mine has 247,000 on it and is still a nice ride.

Last edited by spuds; 07-16-18 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 02:29 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s a really nice car. Has the timing belt change been completed?

With the low miles I would put it out there at $5000 and I’ll bet you sell it....as long as maintenance is up to date.
Old 07-17-18, 06:47 AM
pgk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys,
I knew I would get some backlash on posting a what's it worth post on my first post! lol As far as I know it has been maintained through out the years when my dad owned it, there is a box in the truck full of invoices from maintenance service oil changes, check ups ect. They go to AZ. nine months out of the year and spend the other three up in northern Mi. so the car was only driven from July through Sept. luckily no Michigan winters. He had the A/C system converted over to R134 a few years ago, I will have to go through the maintenance records and check on the timing belt. I take it that they are prone to wear or breakage?? Sure wouldn't want to have some catastrophic failure from that! A friend of mine had a 1969 Mustang " I know probably a swear word around here" anyways he had installed a over the counter only 427 SOHC hemi in it, if memory serves it had a 7 foot timing chain, loud has hell, and it ended up breaking, caused a whole bunch of damage to a now very rare motor. Thanks for all the replies guys and giving me a idea of what this ole girl might be worth, after I posted this yesterday I checked out some of your mods you all have done and I must say some of you have some absolutely sweet looking rides, I had no idea there were aftermarket parts being made to fit these cars, My dad has a 02 LS430 that is usually parked next to this 90 and its amazing how much lower the 90 is compared to the newer 02, I think the 90 may handle slightly better as well? If I ended up keeping the car it would be nice to lower it a inch or so and put some low profile wheels/tires on it just to fill the wheel wheels up a little more. Other than that I can't think of much, these cars look and drive good better than most for sure!

Pete
Old 07-18-18, 11:00 PM
UCF1x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that’s a sweet car. It’s the same color scheme as mine

The 90-94 is the beefier rod non interference motor so you don’t have to worry about the pistons crushing the valves when the timing belt goes.

as for price, I would list it for 3750 and see what you can get.

heres a picture of mine stock height with sc430 rims for reference lol

Last edited by UCF1x; 07-18-18 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 11:44 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by AandSC
That’s a really nice car. Has the timing belt change been completed?

With the low miles I would put it out there at $5000 and I’ll bet you sell it....as long as maintenance is up to date.
What he said......

Old 07-19-18, 05:58 AM
pgk
Driver School Candidate

That's a very nice looking Ls as well! Looks good with those wheels on it, do all of the Lexus wheels pretty much interchange same bolt pattern? I always thought that if I kept the car I would install some larger wheels and tires to help fill up the wheel wells.. I saw a set off a IS 350 F-Sport wheels 18's with tires that I thought would look good on my 90 but wasn't sure if they would fit? Do you guys recalibrate the speedo's in these LS's when you change over to taller wheel/tire combo's?

Originally Posted by UCF1x
Wow, that’s a sweet car. It’s the same color scheme as mine

The 90-94 is the beefier rod non interference motor so you don’t have to worry about the pistons crushing the valves when the timing belt goes.

as for price, I would list it for 3750 and see what you can get.

heres a picture of mine stock height with sc430 rims for reference lol

Old 07-20-18, 08:14 PM
SexyLexyII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by dicer
Low value in my book. Its a low optioned car, low miles help. Maybe 3000 ish maybe more to someone that is not into them. I wouldn't even look at it with no options.
Hi Dicer,

So you prefer the ride with air suspension? That option came with height adjustment that is handy for all the speed bumps sprouting up everywhere. Mine has no heated seats but I love her.

SexyLexy
Old 08-11-18, 05:27 PM
flaco1801
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car...I have a 91...My lil brother wants a LS... Please lemme know what price you decide...thanks, Jeff
Old 08-11-18, 06:31 PM
Gavin8399
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! thats one of the cleanest first gens ive ever seen! and like others have said its worth what others will pay but id say ballpark of 3 grand
Old 08-15-18, 02:41 PM
pgk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your input you guys, Iv'e decided to just keep the car. I doubt I could find another used car as nice and as much fun to drive around in for $3000.00 or $5000.00 for that matter. I'm thinking about some 18" LS430 wheels with a new set of tires seeing as the ones on it are fairly old. Maybe a set of 235/40/R18 all the way around? I notice that I have a new whining noise coming front the passenger side of the motor. It doesn't change if I turn the steering wheel but does change when I turn on the lights. I'm thinking a new alternator is in my future.. I would like to lower it after I get new wheels and tires but don't really want to give up the ride quality, I would be ok with a slightly firmer ride which I'm sure I will get just from changing the wheels and tires, thought about going with the BC coil overs for their adjustability but still unsure at this point. My dad kept up with the maintenance as far as I can see, the timing has been changed, power steering pump, trans. has been changed twice and flushed once over the years, there is file full of Lexus invoices in the trunk. Jeff if I decide down the road to sell it I'll give ya a shout.
Pete

Quick Reply: 1990 LS400 resale price