LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Over heating 1993 Ls400

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 11:10 AM
Deaundre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating 1993 Ls400

My Lexus is experiencing an over heating problem and I don't know how to fix it. I have replaced the radiator, the thermostat, water pump,timing belt, and about to change the radiator sensor. Not much of a car guy so not sure what to do next any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-18, 04:44 PM
1on1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job on tackling the major fixes on your ls400 and it seems your car still needs to be bled. As for fixing the overheating issue, this is how I bled the coolant system.

Place your car on your driveway and/or lift the front of the car. Once you have your car in this position, uncap the coolant reservoir and remove the 17mm bolt on the thermostat housing. Start your car while turning on the heater on high. It will take some time for your car to raise so watch the temp gauge. Since you changed out the thermostat, make sure the "spring" portion is facing towards the grill "View the thermostat link." Watch the coolant level at the thermostat and keep filling it up with coolant "view the coolant guide." If everything is installed correctly, your temps should be leveled after 30mins+ idling and filling with coolant. Also, once your thermostat housing starts to overflow/fill to the top, screw back in the bolt and start filling from the reservoir. Remember to not overfill your reserve tank. Respond back here with an update once you tried this.

Coolant Guide: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html
Thermostat: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/thermostat.html
Old 08-08-18, 04:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And maybe the gauge is reading wrong as well.
Old 08-09-18, 12:59 PM
Deaundre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome I'll try that and get back to you =Deaundre;10273620]My Lexus is experiencing an over heating problem and I don't know how to fix it. I have replaced the radiator, the thermostat, water pump,timing belt, and about to change the radiator sensor. Not much of a car guy so not sure what to do next any help would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]
Old 10-05-18, 01:17 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1on1
Good job on tackling the major fixes on your ls400 and it seems your car still needs to be bled. As for fixing the overheating issue, this is how I bled the coolant system.

Place your car on your driveway and/or lift the front of the car. Once you have your car in this position, uncap the coolant reservoir and remove the 17mm bolt on the thermostat housing. Start your car while turning on the heater on high. It will take some time for your car to raise so watch the temp gauge. Since you changed out the thermostat, make sure the "spring" portion is facing towards the grill "View the thermostat link." Watch the coolant level at the thermostat and keep filling it up with coolant "view the coolant guide." If everything is installed correctly, your temps should be leveled after 30mins+ idling and filling with coolant. Also, once your thermostat housing starts to overflow/fill to the top, screw back in the bolt and start filling from the reservoir. Remember to not overfill your reserve tank. Respond back here with an update once you tried this.

Coolant Guide: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html
Thermostat: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/thermostat.html
um, do you mean the front grill of the car? the spring part of the thermostat is inward, to the engine side.. the temperature control and the springs are what control the opening/closing of the thermostat, based on the temperature of the coolant on the engine side.