LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Gear shifter conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 10:39 AM
duballstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you again for your time and prompt responses. We could probably continue our conversation via PM, but hopefully this information helps someone in the future...

I'm pretty sure that I’m over thinking this and I’m confusing what we are referring to as the “linkage”. It was my assumption that the linkage was the metal bar that runs along the passenger side of the transmission and connects to the unit in the trans that shifts the gears.

Does the below picture include a “complete” assembly including the non-removable “linkage” that you are referring to?

If this is the case, the metal rod “linkage” that I’m referring to (on the side of the trans) would be the same (similar) and I would not be required to swap it out for the 95-97 upgrade.

Below is is a picture of the “linkage” that I’m referring to:

So if my assumption is correct, all I would need is the first picture, which would be a complete assembly. The lower lever in the shifter assembly picture would be installed and end up in the trans tunnel, connected to the metal linkage rod that runs along the side of the trans... Or am I missing something?
Old 04-09-19, 10:53 AM
driftsucky
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by duballstar
Thank you again for your time and prompt responses. We could probably continue our conversation via PM, but hopefully this information helps someone in the future...

I'm pretty sure that I’m over thinking this and I’m confusing what we are referring to as the “linkage”. It was my assumption that the linkage was the metal bar that runs along the passenger side of the transmission and connects to the unit in the trans that shifts the gears.

Does the below picture include a “complete” assembly including the non-removable “linkage” that you are referring to?

If this is the case, the metal rod “linkage” that I’m referring to (on the side of the trans) would be the same (similar) and I would not be required to swap it out for the 95-97 upgrade.

Below is is a picture of the “linkage” that I’m referring to:

So if my assumption is correct, all I would need is the first picture, which would be a complete assembly. The lower lever in the shifter assembly picture would be installed and end up in the trans tunnel, connected to the metal linkage rod that runs along the side of the trans... Or am I missing something?
You only need the top picture. If you take a look at the front of the second picture (with the linkage you are referring to), you'll see a bolt and a pin. It's right above the "prou" in "proudly hosted on photobucket". That bolt/pin goes through the hole at the bottom of the metal rod in the bar for the shifter. As long as you can free that without breaking it, you need nor other parts.
Old 04-09-19, 12:31 PM
duballstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by driftsucky
You only need the top picture. If you take a look at the front of the second picture (with the linkage you are referring to), you'll see a bolt and a pin. It's right above the "prou" in "proudly hosted on photobucket". That bolt/pin goes through the hole at the bottom of the metal rod in the bar for the shifter. As long as you can free that without breaking it, you need nor other parts.

Exactly my thoughts!!! I was definitely over thinking things and confusing the term “linkage”. Thanks again for all of your help so I could get some troubleshooting done behind my desk and prepare for the actual install.
Old 04-09-19, 02:58 PM
driftsucky
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

good luck. As I stated before, it's a fairly lengthy process. It's (clearly) doable. But, it's more involved than the internet makes it seem.