LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Testing a Used Tilt and Telescopic Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 03:18 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Testing a Used Tilt and Telescopic Motor

Hi All,

I tried searching the forums on how to test the tilt and telescopic motor, but couldn't find any answers specific to my question. Because these motors cost so much, I plan to get one from a person that is parting out his 1998 LS400. I was wondering if it is possible to test these motors without them being installed into the steering column. Say, a diagram of the connectors that shows which pin supplies power?

Any replies help!

Tappy
Old 08-27-18, 04:44 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Do you know that the other 98 uses the same motor?
The design change was done in August 98 and the before and the after are not compatible at all. If Yes, and you specify which, I'll give you the detail.
Old 08-27-18, 05:04 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yamae
Do you know that the other 98 uses the same motor?
The design change was done in August 98 and the before and the after are not compatible at all. If Yes, and you specify which, I'll give you the detail.
Thank youyfor replying, yamae. Really appreciate it I did not know this. I'll have to continue my search as the car was manufactured prior to August.
Old 08-27-18, 09:22 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Tappy
Thank youyfor replying, yamae. Really appreciate it I did not know this. I'll have to continue my search as the car was manufactured prior to August.
I have seen many new motors (ultrasonic ones) introduced in August 98 have failed in a decade+ or so. On the other hand, motors pre August 98 seldom fail except the spacer. The spacer is deteriorated and broken into small pieces. In this case, you only need to use a new spacer or something similar like these below posts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ng-repair.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...wheel-fix.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-tutorial.html

If your LS400 was manufactured prior to August, you'd probably only need a spacer and you don't need to get another motor. Mine was manufactured in March 98 and in my case I used a center part of a CD cutting outer area and making the hole slightly bigger to fit the blue gear.

Old 08-28-18, 07:41 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

My ls400 is actually a 1999 model. It's amazing how you know this change! My research of the differences between the 98-00 models didn't reveal much, other than a few upgrades. Thank you for the links. I saw one of them before I posted this thread, but didn't think they were a solution to my problem. The telescopic motor doesn't seem to make any sound at all when I push on the in or out buttons. Not even that slight "click" sound that you would hear from the tilt motor prior to it engaging. I'll take another look at the threads you posted to make sure.

I have seen many new motors (ultrasonic ones) introduced in August 98 have failed in a decade+ or so. On the other hand, motors pre August 98 seldom fail except the spacer. The spacer is deteriorated and broken into small pieces. In this case, you only need to use a new spacer or something similar like these below posts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ng-repair.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...wheel-fix.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-tutorial.html

If your LS400 was manufactured prior to August, you'd probably only need a spacer and you don't need to get another motor. Mine was manufactured in March 98 and in my case I used a center part of a CD cutting outer area and making the hole slightly bigger to fit the blue gear.
Old 08-28-18, 08:03 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Tappy
My ls400 is actually a 1999 model. It's amazing how you know this change! My research of the differences between the 98-00 models didn't reveal much, other than a few upgrades. Thank you for the links. I saw one of them before I posted this thread, but didn't think they were a solution to my problem. The telescopic motor doesn't seem to make any sound at all when I push on the in or out buttons. Not even that slight "click" sound that you would hear from the tilt motor prior to it engaging. I'll take another look at the threads you posted to make sure.
I happened to know the car some. Dealer managers used to say me,"Why do you know more than us?". Why? It's a secret.
The newer motor has 6 wires. The attached diagram shows only a part of the JDM control system and 2 motor's sensing part. Other than this there is a power supplying circuit. I believe you can recognize 4 wires for the control with a shield. Other than those 4, there are 2 more wires that supply the DC12V in a power part of the diagram. Each motor has 6 wires totally other than the sensing lines and it needs special control sequences to rotate the ultrasonic motor. You can't simply test the motor without the motor controller. In other words it is impossible to test it only supplying the DC12V since you need 4 other control signals that supply ultrasonic signals of different phases.

On the other hand, pre August motors can be checked simply only supplying the DC12V since these are conventional brush motors that only have 2 wires. But those seldom fail and you probably don't need to test. Only a resistance check is mostly enough.

Due to the compatibility issue, you need to find a motor picking up from post August models but the stand alone test can't be done simply. The simple way to check is to test it while the motor is still attached to the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
Amish (08-29-18), Yonny (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 06:22 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

I happened to know the car some. Dealer managers used to say me,"Why do you know more than us?". Why? It's a secret.
The newer motor has 6 wires. The attached diagram shows only a part of the JDM control system and 2 motor's sensing part. Other than this there is a power supplying circuit. I believe you can recognize 4 wires for the control with a shield. Other than those 4, there are 2 more wires that supply the DC12V in a power part of the diagram. Each motor has 6 wires totally other than the sensing lines and it needs special control sequences to rotate the ultrasonic motor. You can't simply test the motor without the motor controller. In other words it is impossible to test it only supplying the DC12V since you need 4 other control signals that supply ultrasonic signals of different phases.

On the other hand, pre August motors can be checked simply only supplying the DC12V since these are conventional brush motors that only have 2 wires. But those seldom fail and you probably don't need to test. Only a resistance check is mostly enough.

Due to the compatibility issue, you need to find a motor picking up from post August models but the stand alone test can't be done simply. The simple way to check is to test it while the motor is still attached to the car.

ヤマエさん、返事ありがとうございます。I was thinking of doing what you suggested, but since this is a post 1998, I will have to just go the regular way. Maybe my friend and I can have some fun studying this diagram, he is studying electrical engineering at the moment and would appreciate the opportunity.
Old 09-11-18, 05:20 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Hope you are successful

I actually am an electrical engineer (40 years) and soon realized that these new style motors were not easily repairable, and would require a precise schematic, test procedure, and scope to troubleshoot the problems. My problems first showed up right after I replaced a weak battery about six years ago, and I have always suspected that there would be a simple fix, if I only knew what to reset or check. But no such luck, after all these years. I'm sure dealers would be able to quickly diagnose the problems, but you may face a $1000 "repair" charge. I'm okay with leaving the steering wheel in a fixed state, hoping that someone comes up with a simple procedure to determine whether the problems relate to a motor/ECU/power supply , OR if a simple reset procedure of some kind has been hidden from us. It's just too big of a coincidence that many failures occur right after a battery issue.
Old 09-11-18, 01:21 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

That's interesting! I don't think I'm capable of doing in depth research and work on the telescopic motor. I'm glad that at least my tilt motor is working. haha.
Old 10-13-18, 03:24 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

So, apparently my steering column does extend in and out. I had previously thought that it did not move at all. Problem is it only extends out by a centimeter or so. I guess I should open up the steering column and take a look at the gears?