LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

check those sway bar bushings!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 01:30 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts
Default check those sway bar bushings!

for awhile now in hot temps my LS has been making a creaking noise from the front suspension nearly identical to the noise in this video i found:

pretty much anything that would cause the suspension to move around a bit like driving into a small dip or up onto an incline would cause that creak to occur. luckily i'm still friendly with one of the master techs at the dealer i worked at so we put it up on the lift and he checked out the suspension. i forget exactly how he determined it, but he sprayed penetrating oil onto the bushings and when it didn't pass through that let him know there was something not right. at least i'm pretty sure that's how that went...

anyway the part# for the new bushings (same for both sides) is 48815-50151 and it's the one labelled #13 in this picture:

the old bushings:

the noise is gone, the car feels tighter and less sloppy though corners, and just feels generally more planted especially if the road isn't perfect. definitely something i recommend looking into if you want your LS to keep feeling fantastic. toyota refers to them as stabilizer bar bushings so expect to see "BUSH, STABILIZER" for the part description.

Old 09-02-18, 03:07 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice you got it fixed and thanks for the PSA.

Eddie
Old 09-02-18, 07:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Good reminder! Back in the Lexkost days we did the poly thing. I took the front ones out due to the annoying squeak, couldn't lube that out. The factory ones went in.
Old 09-03-18, 12:55 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I knew mine were bad when i could slide my front sway bar side to side when the car was on the ground. Also, it made clunking noises over little bumps in the road
Old 09-03-18, 01:20 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Good reminder! Back in the Lexkost days we did the poly thing. I took the front ones out due to the annoying squeak, couldn't lube that out. The factory ones went in.
ah yes the ol daizen polyurethane bushing kit... i heard that although they improve handling they're noisier and reduce the lexus squishiness, so i wanted to stick with the oem rubber ones. they're even still made in japan! in my own neurosis i feel that the car is somehow "happier" when you keep it as stock and as originally japanese sourced as possible lol...

Old 09-03-18, 06:31 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

When I've had the problem, a slight clunk was heard when I went around a tight corner. Using a silicon spray, I was able to determine what was causing the noise. It was caused by the worn bushings. I have posted the detail here below.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ht-corner.html

The inside was not badly worn out but this much was enough to cause the slight clunk sound.
Old 09-03-18, 07:55 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yamae
When I've had the problem, a slight clunk was heard when I went around a tight corner. Using a silicon spray, I was able to determine what was causing the noise. It was caused by the worn bushings. I have posted the detail here below.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ht-corner.html
The inside was not badly worn out but this much was enough to cause the slight clunk sound.
well mine didn't really make a clunk, more of a creaking, groaning noise like in that video. i'm sure worn sway bar bushings can cause a whole myriad of strange noises, but either way replacing them 100% did the trick for me, and the car drives noticeably better. watching him work, i honestly feel it's something i could've probably done myself, but i'm always more than happy to pay a bit extra for the liability to be on someone else haha..
Old 04-30-19, 09:03 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
for awhile now in hot temps my LS has been making a creaking noise from the front suspension nearly identical to the noise in this video i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVNHfthJoCM

pretty much anything that would cause the suspension to move around a bit like driving into a small dip or up onto an incline would cause that creak to occur. luckily i'm still friendly with one of the master techs at the dealer i worked at so we put it up on the lift and he checked out the suspension. i forget exactly how he determined it, but he sprayed penetrating oil onto the bushings and when it didn't pass through that let him know there was something not right. at least i'm pretty sure that's how that went...

anyway the part# for the new bushings (same for both sides) is 48815-50151 and it's the one labelled #13 in this picture:

the old bushings:

the noise is gone, the car feels tighter and less sloppy though corners, and just feels generally more planted especially if the road isn't perfect. definitely something i recommend looking into if you want your LS to keep feeling fantastic. toyota refers to them as stabilizer bar bushings so expect to see "BUSH, STABILIZER" for the part description.

That squeaking sounded pretty x-rated. I had a similar squeaking sound but the big beautiful woman leaving the car cleared it right up. Jk...on a serious note...i gotta get my bushings replaced as well. Is your LS a 98?
Old 04-30-19, 09:31 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Is your LS a 98?
it's a 99, do you use the mobile site or something?
Old 04-30-19, 09:35 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it's a 99, do you use the mobile site or something?
Yup...im using the mobile site.
Old 04-30-19, 09:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Yup...im using the mobile site.
ok, that explains not seeing my self explanatory signature lol
Old 04-30-19, 11:30 PM
KKOG
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great news.
I´ve got the same symptoms and ordered a set of new ones last week.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (05-01-19)
Old 05-04-19, 10:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KKOG
Great news.
I´ve got the same symptoms and ordered a set of new ones last week.
are the new ones installed yet? i hope they solve the problem
Old 05-04-19, 10:50 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
there were poly steering rack bushings in my 99 when i got it, made the most awful squealing sound when turning the steering wheel, changed back to OEM and perfectly quiet
Old 05-04-19, 11:09 PM
KKOG
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

are the new ones installed yet? i hope they solve the problem
Installed them yesterday so the answer to your question is yes.
The old ones were very bad and dry with a lot of play. The sway bar could easily be moved from side to side.

The squeak and crashy suspension in the front is gone and the car feels more stable.
As stated earlier in the thread. Super easy and cheap repair. 4 easy to reach M8 bolts with 12mm heads.
The following users liked this post:
Stroock639 (05-04-19)

Quick Reply: check those sway bar bushings!