LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Weird idling and grounding issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18 | 01:33 AM
luelexus92
Driver School Candidate

Default Weird idling and grounding issues.

Today my 92 took a crap. First a bunch of lights came on my dash.. battery, ebrake, low water among others came on. I drove it home a few miles and when I get home it has a crazy idle loop going to like 2k then back to under 1k. I turned car off and disconn car battery. I turned it back on at it has the same idle but the weirdness continues I go to put it on drive and it takes off like my foot is on the gas and even when I brake it seems to be accelerating at all times. My first taught was tps but what else could it be?? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Old 09-04-18 | 07:03 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by luelexus92
Today my 92 took a crap. First a bunch of lights came on my dash.. battery, ebrake, low water among others came on. I drove it home a few miles and when I get home it has a crazy idle loop going to like 2k then back to under 1k. I turned car off and disconn car battery. I turned it back on at it has the same idle but the weirdness continues I go to put it on drive and it takes off like my foot is on the gas and even when I brake it seems to be accelerating at all times. My first taught was tps but what else could it be?? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
I know it's obvious, but have you put a scanner on it yet? I'd sure take a look at the Coolant temperature sensor.
Old 09-04-18 | 10:49 AM
luelexus92
Driver School Candidate

There is no check engine lights so I don’t think it will give me any codes. Thanks I will check the coolant temperature sensor
Old 09-04-18 | 01:49 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by luelexus92
This may be a little far-fetched because mine would just rev high at all times and try to accelerate in drive too. Sometimes at 5-6k before I pulled over! A piece of rubber that had broken off of part of the air intake setup had gotten lodged in the throttle butterfly, keeping it open so the car thought it was go-go-go!
Old 09-05-18 | 10:28 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

First guess is battery voltage getting low, or bad connections battery. Maybe alternator not putting out, maybe fusible links corroded. Get that checked first.
Not many scan tools work on the OBD1 stuff.
OH and also weird things can happen when the trunk hinge wiring is messed up, search here for that one too. Don't jump into TPS and all that when the dash lights weird out that is an electrical supply issue when everything electrical goofs up, not just one item on the engine.

Last edited by dicer; 09-05-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-05-18 | 03:13 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dicer
First guess is battery voltage getting low, or bad connections battery. Maybe alternator not putting out, maybe fusible links corroded. Get that checked first.
Not many scan tools work on the OBD1 stuff.
OH and also weird things can happen when the trunk hinge wiring is messed up, search here for that one too. Don't jump into TPS and all that when the dash lights weird out that is an electrical supply issue when everything electrical goofs up, not just one item on the engine.
I agree. Usually multiple unrelated warning lights (e-brake, water - no way those can be related to a real problem) are caused by voltage fluctuations from a failed / failing alternator. So I'd focus my debugging efforts on that - like checking the voltage on the battery terminals with the engine idling, and at 2000 RPM. Should be around 14V.

Until you've got your voltage confirmed good, I would not spend time looking at other things.