LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400... Just changed my transmission shift solenoids and filter... Aaannndd

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 03:20 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 1995 LS400... Just changed my transmission shift solenoids and filter... Aaannndd

So, my LS was shifting weird at one point. It would take off like the trans was slipping sometimes while in drive, but if I dropped it down in to D1 and worked my way up to drive, it would shift fine. Then one day it threw the code for Shift Solenoid A. So, I just finished replacing the solenoids and the trans filter, bolted everything up, filled the trans to where I’ve seen people recommend which is about 2 quarts of Toyota T-IV. It looks like it’s between the hot and cold lines. The issue now is that it doesn’t feel like it’s engaging in gears and in order to pull it off the ramps in reverse, I had to give it quite a bit of throttle to get it to barely move. Moved the ramps, put it in drive, then had to throttle it quite a bit to get it to move in to my driveway. I did notice that there was a lot more trans fluid in the drain oans that what I put back in. Probably about another quart or more. I did what is recommended which is shift through the years with the car running after putting fluid in the trans.

So, Side note. While I had the pan dropped, I ended up letting the car sit on ramps for two days wii drain land under it. Could it possibly just need more ATF since the trans basically drained for two days? It’s not throwing codes anymore, but it’s also not really moving.
Old 09-06-18, 04:14 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

You mean 2 gallons, right?
Old 09-06-18, 04:17 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
You mean 2 gallons, right?
It took about 6 quarts to get it to the hot line after being warmed up and cycling through the gears. Now it runs and shifts fine and the fluid level is right where it should be. No more jerking, no more hesitation, no more acting like it’s slipping.
Old 09-06-18, 04:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

What drains out of the pan initially is from 1.7L to 2.2L so it roughly equals the 2 quarts when averaged. If left open it will easily drain more than 2.2L. Have to be watchful and exact to replace. Measure up all that was collected and replace. Being off a tiny bit is ok but any under filled and it becomes picky. I kept adding a couple ounces at a time till it began shifting normally. Almost didn't get it up the driveway one time because that slight incline was enough to be an issue. The high mark ferrule had slipped on ours so it was about 1/2" lower than it should be and indicated an overfill.
Old 09-06-18, 05:24 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by DVL5WRK95
While I had the pan dropped, I ended up letting the car sit on ramps for two days wii drain land under it. Could it possibly just need more ATF since the trans basically drained for two days? It’s not throwing codes anymore, but it’s also not really moving.
You need more ATF when you dropped the pan and letting the car sit on ramps for two days. I have done almost the same thing with you and I ended up to fill more than 5 quarts totally. The ATF comes out from the torque converter a little by little continuously while the car sitting. I'd say the droppings of amount from the torque converter is more than 1 quart/day. You need to think about it as well as the remaining ATF in the pan which is more than a half quart. Other than the 2 quarts, I believe that you lost about 3 quarts in your situation. So you need to fill 5 quarts or so.
Old 09-06-18, 06:22 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

Congratulations! It's such a rush to be able to fix things. I always try to catch every drop of transmission fluid so I can measure it and replace that exact amount. I cannot tell you of the cars that I have purchased that were overfilled with transmission fluid. Most have to be driven at least 15 minutes in warm weather to get a true reading. Again, job well done!
The following users liked this post:
Dirtlife (04-05-24)
Old 09-06-18, 08:01 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yamae
You need more ATF when you dropped the pan and letting the car sit on ramps for two days. I have done almost the same thing with you and I ended up to fill more than 5 quarts totally. The ATF comes out from the torque converter a little by little continuously while the car sitting. I'd say the droppings of amount from the torque converter is more than 1 quart/day. You need to think about it as well as the remaining ATF in the pan which is more than a half quart. Other than the 2 quarts, I believe that you lost about 3 quarts in your situation. So you need to fill 5 quarts or so.

I realized that after filling two quarts and cycling through gears. Then I kept filling a quart at a time until it hit the cold line after cycling through gears each time. Once I finally got to where it should be, it was fine. I ended up dumping the old fluid in to the empty bottles and I was dead on with the replacement.

Last edited by DVL5WRK95; 09-09-18 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 11:43 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

when I recently did a drain and refill, I added 2.5qts when replacing. Also, you're checking it while its running, right?
Old 09-07-18, 02:13 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

So she runs like a champ now? Congrats!!
Old 09-09-18, 10:37 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
when I recently did a drain and refill, I added 2.5qts when replacing. Also, you're checking it while its running, right?
Yes, I checked it while running. That’s why I had about 6 quarts until it registered at the right level. I would add a quart or so, cycle through the heat selector, put it in neutral, check again. Repeated until I could feel the gears engaging, then checked the level and filled to the correct line.
Old 04-05-24, 09:01 PM
Dirtlife
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVL5WRK95
So, my LS was shifting weird at one point. It would take off like the trans was slipping sometimes while in drive, but if I dropped it down in to D1 and worked my way up to drive, it would shift fine. Then one day it threw the code for Shift Solenoid A. So, I just finished replacing the solenoids and the trans filter, bolted everything up, filled the trans to where I’ve seen people recommend which is about 2 quarts of Toyota T-IV. It looks like it’s between the hot and cold lines. The issue now is that it doesn’t feel like it’s engaging in gears and in order to pull it off the ramps in reverse, I had to give it quite a bit of throttle to get it to barely move. Moved the ramps, put it in drive, then had to throttle it quite a bit to get it to move in to my driveway. I did notice that there was a lot more trans fluid in the drain oans that what I put back in. Probably about another quart or more. I did what is recommended which is shift through the years with the car running after putting fluid in the trans.

So, Side note. While I had the pan dropped, I ended up letting the car sit on ramps for two days wii drain land under it. Could it possibly just need more ATF since the trans basically drained for two days? It’s not throwing codes anymore, but it’s also not really moving.
Sounds almost exactly what's happening to mine also. Except mine is throwing A LOT of white smoke and I had a code 63. ANY info is greatly appreciated