LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bit frustrated, need advice on situation w timing belt, waterpump, and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 01:52 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Billy's got a good point here. A "random" leak as you describe is just very weird. Something totally not normal must have happened. And a doubled filter gasket might be that. Or if not, something else must be causing the randomness.

Totally different place to look - have you checked your PCV valve? That is supposed to let vapor pressure out of the engine (combustion blow by, etc.). If it clogs (very simple thing, but it does happen) it would allow pressure to build up and that would force oil past a weakened seal. Perhaps "randomly" as the PCV valve sticks and un-sticks. Pretty easy to check. The PCV valve should rattle once you remove it. And you'll need a new rubber grommet for it since it will be hard and cracking. Don't worry total price for PCV + grommet should be under $10, maybe under $5. Don't let broken grommet chunks fall in through the valve cover.
Interesting. When I bought the car, the previous owner said the PCV and an oil leak had just been repaired. And it didn't leak for a long time but I'm surprised whatever it was would open back up.

This is a little confusing, yeah. Especially cause I left it at the shop for 3 days and only a little oil had dripped out.

The guy said do all the seals... Sure, when I get $1000 buddy... Anyway I'm gonna keep watching and see what happens and I'm gonna go check that filter now actually.
Old 09-20-18, 05:24 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas

The guy said do all the seals... Sure, when I get $1000 buddy... Anyway I'm gonna keep watching and see what happens and I'm gonna go check that filter now actually.
What, he wants $550 for the T-belt job (decent price) and then another $450 to change the cam and crank seals? It's 3 seals that will already be exposed and take 15 minutes tops to change them.
Those seals might not be in the kit you bought, they dont come with every kit.

Old 09-21-18, 04:55 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
What, he wants $550 for the T-belt job (decent price) and then another $450 to change the cam and crank seals? It's 3 seals that will already be exposed and take 15 minutes tops to change them.
Those seals might not be in the kit you bought, they dont come with every kit.
Actually, I'm glad you said something - I thought that price was off. $1000 is way too much to do the cam and crankshaft seals right? Lol. I still have the paper. Are there any honest mechanics in Florida? I can't find one...
Old 09-21-18, 05:30 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokas
Actually, I'm glad you said something - I thought that price was off. $1000 is way too much to do the cam and crankshaft seals right? Lol. I still have the paper. Are there any honest mechanics in Florida? I can't find one...
your mech is way off TRUE if you had a 98-2000 model but not a 96, DS said 15 minutes and he is right (your mech does not know what he is doing - find ANOTHER one)

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-21-18 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 05:39 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

where are you in Florida??
Old 09-21-18, 10:27 AM
Michael88
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

For any random major leak that is intermittent, I would first think about pranksters at night. Is the car parked outside? Is it in a low crime area? It wouldn't take much to loosen a oil pan drain bolt. Is there an oil cooler line to the radiator? Easy to pull that off and drain your oil. Have you wronged anybody nearby? Have wild friends that keep asking about your LS400? Otherwise, piece of cardboard or plywood under the car to zero in on the location.
Old 09-21-18, 06:32 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you can get the belt, pump etc. and seals done for $1300. with a loaner car you are getting just what the dealer would do here. Not a bad deal for the work done and parts.
Old 09-22-18, 05:50 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billydpowe
where are you in Florida??
Orlando.

And Michael, thanks, I plan on spending some time today after I take my wife to work in an hour cleaning the oil off the motor so I can better see where it's coming from.

Would anyone recommend using a dye if I can't find it?

I swear, you guys always point out something I didn't think about. That's why I keep coming back - to help others when I can, too.

StereoRob is my LS400 buddy and he told me the community is close.

Thanks for all the advice. If someone can recommend a mechanic in Orlando, that would be great. Like I said, I've had work done on this car by someone else twice and had bad experiences. Thanks guys.
Old 09-22-18, 06:17 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Guys, I MAY have two gaskets on my oil filter. It's super hard for me to tell. Maybe one of you.

I saw a drop drip right off the filter when I went to look...

Anyway, my zoom quality sucks so I'm posting two pics, one zoomed in. Who has an eagle eye?

I THINK there IS two gaskets - one seems wet, one seems dry. Just look at the gasket as a whole - does it not look like there's a line separating it in the middle like it's two?

When I get back, I'm also going to replace my spark plug wires. I'm broke so I'm forced to go look if there's a good set at the JY. Not the best idea but I just need 10-20k miles, probably less, to get a good pair.

I found a set of NGK wires for my old LS400 that seemed brand new, like the owner tried that, it didn't work, and junked the car.

Anyway, if all goes well, I'm hoping at least one of these I can fix (Yoda says...). I had a chance to take off the plastic cover and look at the spark plug wires - one of them has oil around it; the same one that is misfiring. #4. Now, I've seen oil on spark plugs on both LS400s I had and the first one, well, when I changed all that out, no more oil. I SHOULD mention that this oil around the spark plug wire seal could just be oil that I spilled and ran down, under the cover.

Will keep you guys updated. If I learn something, I will always write it down for people for the future.

​​​​​​

I'll update with pictures of the wires and all. Thanks again.
Old 09-22-18, 09:35 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Wow, that is a lot of oil. I would skip the dye. I would get a garden hose and just hose it all off. Best would be after it has been driven, so the oil is a little thinner and easier to just blast away. This part really isn't rocket science. Take off any panels that will help you get better visibility.

Then wait, inspect, maybe repeat the hose blasting, wait, inspect ... until you find it.

Leaks flow downwards due to gravity, and when driving, can get blow rearward due to wind / fan. They don't flow up. A bright flashlight can be very helpful in isolating a leak. Once you get something clean and dry, it should stay that way unless the leak is there, above it, or wind is blowing the oil onto it. A slightly complicating factor in this is that you may have multiple leaks, and also PS fluid leaking as well as engine oil.

And just spinning off the filter will be a pretty conclusive way to see if you've got two gaskets on there. Yes, some oil will come out, but compared to what is already there ...