LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car Shaking at High Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 11:23 AM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherl
I second this. @AlaskanLS but would polishing the rotor wont wear out usable surface?
No it won't, machine shops have vernier calipers with help of which they measure the thickness. If your car's rotor are too thin then they would recommend new rotors. But if yours hasn't been polished before then I think it will fine to polish it without replacing the rotors. In any case, if you have to replace your rotors then I would recommend to getting good brand rotors or OEM rotors, don't get Durlast rotors from Autozone, those are very bad. I have tried them myself and now I regret.
Old 10-08-18, 12:10 PM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My biggest pain in the rear with my '98 has been getting the front end to ride smooth.
You will need to spend some money . How much depends on how smooth you want it. My replacement list includes:

New ZR rated tires
new factory rotors
new factory pads
Check for bent wheels. machined to true
Strut rod bushings
Rack ends
ball joints.
Steering axle/knuckle/wheel bearing replacement
shocks

And mine is still not as nice as I would like. Yeah , a little frustrating for me. Hope you have better luck.
Old 10-08-18, 12:40 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

I'm always amazed when forum members talk about "bad" rotors that they think have to be replaced. Brake rotors are only bad when they have become grooved, warped, or "un true" in any way AND too thin to machined. Machining aka turning the rotor removes small amounts of material in a straight and consistent fashion which makes the rotor "true" again. Every rotor has a minimum thickness measurement that the technician uses to determine if the rotor is usable or needs replaced. It is very common for rotors to become grooved or warped and then turned for a 2nd or even 3rd life. Brake shops have been turning rotors for decades! Alaskan I'm not trying to correct you, you have basically said the same thing I'm saying, but "polished" may not be the best term to use. Yes rotors do look polished after they have been machined but the process is a bit more invasive than polishing. I just don't want anyone to take their car into a shop and ask to have the rotors "polished"!

Obviously most members know all about this so this post is for anyone who thinks rotors always have to be replaced or a service advisor is telling you they have to be replaced.

Here's a video that shows the process in detail, set the playback speed to 2x and watch the machine wipe the old metal away...
Old 10-08-18, 06:50 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

In my area rotor re-surfacing is $15-20 per rotor . I have never had them re-surfaced, since I can get a whole new set from rockauto for around $110-120 shipped. Even those cheap rotors from rockauto will be better than having yours re-surfaced, New is new - thicker, turned rotors will be thinner and more prone to warping, in my opinion...
correct me if I a wrong

Last edited by valex; 10-08-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 07:37 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by valex
In my area rotor re-surfacing is $15 per rotor or more. I have never had them re-surfaced, since I can get a whole new set from rockauto for around $110-120 shipped. Even those cheap rotors from rockauto will be better than having yours re-surfaced, New is new - thicker, turned rotors will be thinner and more prone to warping, in my opinion...
correct me if I a wrong

Times have def changed as rotors are made to be consumable, barely thicker than the service limit, and quickly replaced these days. But an LS has much larger brakes than most cars on the road these days and for good reason. It's a much bigger car than a Camry or Accord. When rotors are re surfaced, excluding extreme cases, only about .004" to .005" are removed per side. That's approx 1/10th of a millimeter! If removing that much material compromises it's subsequent life span it wasn't a quality rotor to begin with. That said all metal is NOT created equal. Try the $15 rotors from Rockauto or Autozones Duralast brand and you'll see first hand.

Last edited by bradland; 10-08-18 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 08:17 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Bradland,
What rotor would you recommend? I used to have Brembo rotors on my 99 LS, but I don't think they lasted me longer or better than cheap rotors, that's why last couple times I got my inexpensive rotors on Rockauto. I keep using OEM pads, following the notion that good pads are more important and you can get away with cheap rotors if your pads are good...
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Val
Old 10-08-18, 10:01 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by valex
Bradland,
What rotor would you recommend? I used to have Brembo rotors on my 99 LS, but I don't think they lasted me longer or better than cheap rotors, that's why last couple times I got my inexpensive rotors on Rockauto. I keep using OEM pads, following the notion that good pads are more important and you can get away with cheap rotors if your pads are good...
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Val
Val you're smart for sticking with OEM pads. I've used them through every brake job on every LS I've owned and never had a single issue with ANY brake component in 20ish years.
As far as rotors are concerned I wish the answer was as easy. Brake parts wear for a wide variety of reasons and to throw a wrench into the works pads and rotors are DESIGNED to wear! I'm no expert but I've never heard a single negative comment on Lexus/Toyota rotors. I would give Lex/Toy serious consideration but It sounds like economy rotors may be the best choice for your driving style. Just don't go too cheap and don't be afraid to have them turned...

Last edited by bradland; 10-08-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 05:13 PM
Michael88
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Rear transmission mount ... as easy as changing the oil if you have the jack stands
Old 12-27-18, 12:28 PM
Djelements
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael88
Rear transmission mount ... as easy as changing the oil if you have the jack stands
Did this help with vibration issues once you changed it?
Old 12-27-18, 01:56 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Djelements
Here is a picture of my bad transmission mount.

new owner-dsc04242.jpg

Last edited by jaaa; 12-27-18 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 05:54 AM
Michael88
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Djelements
Absolutely, but didn’t fix my intermittent no starts.