LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Alternate transmission dip stick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 10:59 AM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alternate transmission dip stick?

As a new user of a 97 ls400, i have a caveat: the transmission dip stick is an overly flexible cable design, with crimped on hot and cold ferrules and a little metal ball in between. I am used to the flat dip sticks used on other cars, as they are easier to read and 're insert back into the dip stick tubes. The one i have is very difficult to 're insert, and is not easy to read. It's there an alternate flat dip stick that can be substituted for this wiggly cable one?
Old 09-27-18, 12:36 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

The trans dipstick tube bends twice in slightly different directions. A traditional flat dipstick can't bend in this manner.
Old 09-27-18, 12:45 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bradland
The trans dipstick tube bends twice in slightly different directions. A traditional flat dipstick can't bend in this manner.
you're quite right. Thank you very much! Consider me educated.
Old 09-27-18, 12:48 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Not that I know of. It's kinda of a 2 handed thing. Hold the handle with right hand, insert the metal tip into the dip stick opening while using your left hand about midway up the cable as a guide. This is not fun when the car is fully warmed up. This is why I always measure what fluid I drain out during transmission fluid changes. My 02 Solara was the worst to check. I never really felt confident on the reading. It had a shiny medal dipstick and no matter how I checked it, I could never tell what it was reading. That and the fact that Toyota does not tell you how to check the transmission fluid at all. I didn't realize that my 98 LS 400 was overfull when I purchased it until after I changed the fluid myself. I drained it overnight and got out 3 quarts so I refilled it with 3 quarts, drove it for 20-30 miles, checked the fluid and was not comfortable with it being all the way up the indicator so I sucked out a 1/2 quart. I drove it again, rechecked it and it was still completely full. I sucked out another 1/2 quart and drove it again. Came back and rechecked it. It was still FULL. I thought what the heck. I sucked out 1/4 of a quart and drove it again. When I checked it the last time it was below the very top of the indicator so I put a 1/4 of a quart back in. I've checked it several more times and shows full. I believe when the 2nd owner had an independent shop do the transmission fluid change, it was overfilled then. The first owner always used Lexus. I have purchased several cars that where overfull on transmission fluid. I think this is partly due to the fact that people don't drive it long enough for the fluid to fully warm up. On really cold days, you may have to drive for 30 minutes or more to get an accurate reading.

Last edited by Fit1too; 09-27-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 12:54 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Not that I know of. It's kinda of a 2 handed thing. Hold the handle with right hand, insert the metal tip into the dip stick opening while using your left hand about midway up the cable as a guide. This is not fun when the car is fully warmed up. This is why I always measure what fluid I drain out during transmission fluid changes. My 02 Solara was the worst to check. I never really felt confident on the reading. It had a shiny medal dipstick and no matter how I checked it, I could never tell what it was reading. That and the fact that Toyota does not tell you how to check the transmission fluid at all. I didn't realize that my 98 LS 400 was overfull until after I changed the fluid. I drained it overnight and got out 3 quarts so I refilled it with 3 quarts, drove it for 20-30 miles, checked the fluid and was not comfortable with it being all the way up the indicator so I sucked out a 1/2 quart. I drove it again, rechecked it and it was still completely full. I sucked out another 1/2 quart and drove it again. Came back and rechecked it. It was still FULL. I thought what the heck. I sucked out 1/4 of a quart and drove it again. When I checked it the last time it was below the very top of the indicator so I put a 1/4 of a quart back in. I've checked it several more times and it is shows full. I have purchased several cars that where overfull on transmission fluid. I think this is partly due to the fact that people don't drive it long enough for the fluid to fully warm up. On really cold days, you may have to drive for 30 minutes or more to get an accurate reading.
having just go,tten the car recently myself with a transmission replaced with another used one, believe it is overfull. gonna do just that . suck some out little by little.
Old 09-27-18, 01:49 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
having just go,tten the car recently myself with a transmission replaced with another used one, believe it is overfull. gonna do just that . suck some out little by little.
I use a 3 foot piece of vacuum hose attached to a clean hand pump from a soap dispenser. Guide into dip stick tube until it bottoms out, pump to prime, and you're good to go. I always have an empty oil container handy to catch it in that way a can measure how much I am taking out. I doesn't take long to get a quart out. I'd do a 1/2 quart at a time.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (09-27-18)
Old 09-27-18, 01:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Some cars don't even have dip stick.

Last edited by Htony; 09-27-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 02:14 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by Htony
Some cars don't even has dip stick.
Exactly! My 7 series didn't have one and to fill it up after a drain was a feat; which is why I never messed with it.
Old 09-27-18, 02:15 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Htony
Some cars don't even has dip stick.
that's true, of some of the later models, based on research.
Old 09-27-18, 02:25 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Fit1too,what a nice hack,love it.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (09-27-18)
Old 09-27-18, 02:44 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fit1too
I use a 3 foot piece of vacuum hose attached to a clean hand pump from a soap dispenser. Guide into dip stick tube until it bottoms out, pump to prime, and you're good to go. I always have an empty oil container handy to catch it in that way a can measure how much I am taking out. I doesn't take long to get a quart out. I'd do a 1/2 quart at a time.
what size is that hose in the pic?
Old 09-27-18, 04:29 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
what size is that hose in the pic?
The hose measures 3/8" OD.
Old 09-27-18, 04:31 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by spuds
Fit1too,what a nice hack,love it.
It has saved me a lot of work, especially on vehicles where the transmission pans don't have a drain plug.
Old 09-27-18, 05:31 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Polyethylene (PE) tubing is a good choice for suctioning oil. It can be bought by the foot at Home Depot, etc. It is commonly used for refrigerator and freezer water supply tubing. Not to be confused with polyurethane tubing. The PE stuff is stiffer (makes it easier to insert without binding), but still flexible enough to make it through bends. And the thinner wall and overall stiffness lets you choose a size that will let the oil be suctioned out easily (e.g., vs. a thicker wall for some other type of tubing - that would leave a smaller inner diameter).
Old 09-28-18, 09:33 AM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Polyethylene (PE) tubing is a good choice for suctioning oil. It can be bought by the foot at Home Depot, etc. It is commonly used for refrigerator and freezer water supply tubing. Not to be confused with polyurethane tubing. The PE stuff is stiffer (makes it easier to insert without binding), but still flexible enough to make it through bends. And the thinner wall and overall stiffness lets you choose a size that will let the oil be suctioned out easily (e.g., vs. a thicker wall for some other type of tubing - that would leave a smaller inner diameter).
that was also my thinking, thanks for that!