LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Side Mirror Aeroacoustical Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18 | 05:18 PM
Yamae

Waiting for the actual measurement results of before and after. Technical reports need the data.
Old 10-04-18 | 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Before I tried to use touch up paint on vinyl tape, I would use this material:

https://www.colorxlabs.com/products/...scratch-repair

Product is excellent...
Old 10-05-18 | 07:07 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Side mirror screw holes covered

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Before I tried to use touch up paint on vinyl tape, I would use this material:

https://www.colorxlabs.com/products/...scratch-repair

Product is excellent...
Will check this material out.

Meanwhile, used exterior grade tin foil with pressure sensitive adhesive, painted with Automotive Touch up paint.

Several images of the project

Used non-drying modeling clay to fill screw hole pockets.

Modeling clay, stencil, Exacto knife and foil to create screw hole recess covers.

Gently scribe a circle on aluminum foil with template and use scissors.

Automotive Touch up paint brand primer, body color paint and clearcoat.

7/8\" aluminum foil cover plugs painted.

Self-adhesive aluminum covers applied. Paint match very close. Aluminum crinkles easily which required several attempts. Lower profile Aluminum foil will not snag air as would a vinyl plug

Another issue are raised P.N.'s and mold marks...Noisy.airflow here too.

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-06-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-05-18 | 07:51 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
Waiting for the actual measurement results of before and after. Technical reports need the data.
Your request for actual measurements is valid.

This will require extra work and expense to acquire.

I trust you agree the mirror modifications do not increase NVH...and that by eliminating rough surface areas, especially around turbulent side view mirrors, that aeroacoustical noise will reduce.

Meanwhile, perhaps you can also help me...

I am looking for a correct supplier of seat leather...like the high quality leather that is used in my 1999 LS400.

I understand you can recommend a source.

Thank you

Old 10-05-18 | 08:52 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Your request for actual measurements is valid.

This will require extra work and expense to acquire.

I trust you agree the mirror modifications do not increase NVH...and that by eliminating rough surface areas, especially around turbulent side view mirrors, that aeroacoustical noise will reduce.

Meanwhile, perhaps you can also help me...

I am looking for a correct supplier of seat leather...like the high quality leather that is used in my 1999 LS400.

I understand you can recommend a source.

Thank you
I always find your experiments very interesting but sorry to say that there lack actual measurement results in the engineering points of view. Of course, human ears are effective to compare sound levels but the actual measurement results by equipments with figures are important for other people who are not working together you.

Without buying an expensive sound level meter, there are simple and easy ways to measure it using a smart phone.
For examples, these below are the two of actual methods. There are many other applications too and I hope you to add the actual data to your many different experiments.

Old 10-06-18 | 07:00 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
I always find your experiments very interesting but sorry to say that there lack actual measurement results in the engineering points of view. Of course, human ears are effective to compare sound levels but the actual measurement results by equipments with figures are important for other people who are not working together you.

Without buying an expensive sound level meter, there are simple and easy ways to measure it using a smart phone.
For examples, these below are the two of actual methods. There are many other applications too and I hope you to add the actual data to your many different experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YnILs9rbw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGVN7m3Wd1M
Contemporary Lexus models have addressed this question....by adopting aerodynamic and more aeroacoustically quiet mirrors.

The newer models have mirrors without; screw holes, raised part numbers or mold marks.

Not planning to perform any testing...as Toyota has already adopted this approach, which I trust is sound...

Meanwhile, what information can you share about leather supplier.??

Old 10-06-18 | 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Contemporary Lexus models have addressed this question....by adopting aerodynamic and more aeroacoustically quiet mirrors.

The newer models have mirrors without; screw holes, raised part numbers or mold marks.

Not planning to perform any testing...as Toyota has already adopted this approach, which I trust is sound...

Thats actually not true. The mirror housings on my newer and brand new Lexus vehicles all have mold lines, raised part numbers and while they don't have screw holes, they do have recessed puddle lights that cause an even bigger area of disturbance

Old 10-06-18 | 08:55 PM
Yamae

It would be more authentic if the comparison data was available.

Regarding the leather supplier, the representative person here was a Mexican gentleman and he said, "No está permitido abrir el nombre".
Sorry that I have no idea to share the company name. The only thing I can say is that their facilities are located in North America.