LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Side Mirror Aeroacoustical Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18 | 06:46 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Side Mirror Aeroacoustical Noise

LS400 door mirrors in relation to contemporary LS series are not Aeroacoustically optimized and produce considerable wind buffeting which translates to noise and vibration imparted into the cabin.

Employed DEI Flex Damping and OEM materials to reduce NVH emanating from exterior rear side-view mirrors..

Noticeable noise reduction at 70 MPH

An Aeroacoustics image of what appears to be an Audi. The door side rear- view mirror is noisy.

Side view mirror front face is relatively flat...lots of wind resistance, wind turbulence/ buffering and noise genetated here.

The interior of side-view mirror assembly after removal of mirror and motor. (MUST use Lexus Service Manual instructions)

After removing mirror motor assembly and removing fasteners from the motor assembly cage that fastens to housing, allowing access for application of DEI FLEX Damping material.

FLEX damping 2..5 mm material has vinly face, vs aluminum.

Start the process by applying 3\" X 5" piece of material. Perfect clearance with mirror assembly internals.

The material conforms well to contours and compiund curves of the mirror housing.

Mirror assembly internals fit perfectly after application of FLEXDAMP material.

The side-view rear mirror assemly has a huge internal pocket (depicted in previous image) that am using OEM material to fill. This image is old material that I saved from replacement of front door (belt) tweeter triangle seal.

While mirror assembly disassembled, used a toothbrush to clean internals. Also disassembled the motorized mirror pivot assembly for lubrication (after 20 years is time) . Brushed clean and lubricated gears and jackscrew assembly with Toyota Body Grease.

Toyota Body Grease. Expen$ive, but excellent quality and will not degrade plastic gears.

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-01-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-01-18 | 11:02 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

you weren't kidding about that body grease being pricey

i'm having a tough time figuring out how filling empty space on the inside of the mirror cavity will reduce wind noise on the outside. i'm also thinking you have way more sensitive ears than me lol
Old 10-02-18 | 08:52 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
you weren't kidding about that body grease being pricey

i'm having a tough time figuring out how filling empty space on the inside of the mirror cavity will reduce wind noise on the outside. i'm also thinking you have way more sensitive ears than me lol
Door rear view mirrors housings create turbulence...especially if flat-faced.

When turbulent air make its way into a lightweight plastic mirror housing.. (vehicle from the South and plenty of red dust caked inside to demonstrate air circulation) then it creates noise.

Lexus put out a TSB awhile ago suggesting foam solution to reduce housing noise...whistling.

As far as sensitive, read my post on adding Lead to gas pedal assembly to reduce vibration imparted on it from chassis.

Old 10-02-18 | 10:02 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Door rear view mirrors housings create turbulence...especially if flat-faced.

When turbulent air make its way into a lightweight plastic mirror housing.. (vehicle from the South and plenty of red dust caked inside to demonstrate air circulation) then it creates noise.

Lexus put out a TSB awhile ago suggesting foam solution to reduce housing noise...whistling.

As far as sensitive, read my post on adding Lead to gas pedal assembly to reduce vibration imparted on it from chassis.
i have seen that post haha... my pedal feels silky smooth to me (even barefoot) so i'm going to leave it alone. from having the car since 2011, i've generally found the best option is to just leave it alone. i've probably caused more little annoyances from trying to fix other little annoyances.
Old 10-02-18 | 02:23 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i have seen that post haha... my pedal feels silky smooth to me (even barefoot) so i'm going to leave it alone. from having the car since 2011, i've generally found the best option is to just leave it alone. i've probably caused more little annoyances from trying to fix other little annoyances.

A bit of the wind noise comes from openings on the bottom of our rear view mirrors where there are recessed screw holes without caps (so it is flush).

Bottom view of side-view mirror assembly... Noisy airflow across these rough edges and recesses

Anyone with suggestions on removable caps or material paintable?

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-02-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-02-18 | 07:42 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default ACOUSTICAL LOADS/AIRFLOW INDUCED Noise

Images depicting acoustical loading and airflow induced noise.surrounding mirror and front side window triangle.

Old 10-03-18 | 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But those exterior shapes are unchanged by adding material to the inside of the mirror housing.
Old 10-03-18 | 02:16 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But those exterior shapes are unchanged by adding material to the inside of the mirror housing.
Not yet finished with post....

Computer generated images suggest considerable turbulence and noise at mirror and front side window triangle.

Damping material reduces turbulence/noise from exciting plastic mirror housing..and filllling housing cavity reduces effect turbulent air meandering past the gap between mirror and housing.

NVH reduction here suggests that it is not imparted onto door.

Requested input on solutions for filling the offending (noisy) screw hole recesses at bottom of mirror housing assembly...

Anyone.?

Last edited by YODAONE; 10-03-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-03-18 | 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you're reaching on this one. The "turbulence" is the movement of the air around the mirror, not vibrations and movement of the mirror housing. The only way to reduce the sound of wind around the mirror would be to re-shape the mirror housing itself.

Generic computer generated images don't really tell us anything about how air behaves when it interacts with this specific car.
Old 10-03-18 | 03:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I could understand some resonance generated by the airflow, by dampening the housing this may alter the resonance. This would be on a case by case so a reading before-after would be interesting.
Old 10-03-18 | 03:56 PM
timmy0tool

to 'fill' the holes, I would just get a piece of vinyl sticker and apply it there. you can fill it with material like silicone then put the sticker over it to keep it in place.
my old Honda from the factory had those holes covered with what looks to be a clear sticker.

more to the subject, newer Toyotas have 'fins' near the side mirrors to direct the air around. lots of new manus do something similar.
Old 10-03-18 | 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue is any sort of a vinyl sticker is going to create an edge that could potentially create noise.
Old 10-04-18 | 01:56 PM
GoldLex99
Driver School Candidate

You could try a piece of clear packing tape to cover the holes. Drive it around listening for whistling coming from the front of the door. Add the tape and try it again. Tape is not the permanent solution but it will tell you if covering these holes makes a difference you can hear.
Old 10-04-18 | 02:38 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoldLex99
You could try a piece of clear packing tape to cover the holes. Drive it around listening for whistling coming from the front of the door. Add the tape and try it again. Tape is not the permanent solution but it will tell you if covering these holes makes a difference you can hear.
Tape is an excellent idea...will use non-hardening clay to fill recessed screw holes (should it becomes necessary to access and remove screws), and then cover the holes with outdoor rated foil with pressure sensitive adhesive..cut with circular template, primed, painted ( Automotive Touch up paint) and clear coated.
Old 10-04-18 | 02:42 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoldLex99
Tape is an excellent idea...
Will first use non-hardening clay to fill recessed screw hole cavity (should it ever becomes necessary to access and remove screws), and then cover the holes with outdoor rated foil with pressure sensitive adhesive..cut with circular template, primed, painted ( Automotive Touch up paint body color) and clear coating.

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Aeroacoustical Noise