LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Why do people find it so hard to move slightly away from a predefined style? Discussi

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 10:45 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why do people find it so hard to move slightly away from a predefined style? Discussi

I want to have an honest discussion with you guys. What my point is that if you do something to your LS400 that strays a little from the norm, people seem offended or maybe confused and write it off?

Let me give you an example. If you were adding additional, small fog lights, you would probably mount them in the bottom open "line" of the bumper. And I may do that too.

But I wanted to do something different. I'm not building a VIP car. Also, these lights are blue but the light is a functional white. I decided to mount mine reminescent of that rally style where they come out a little. This lets me adjust them up and down, etc. The brackets don't fit in the holes.

This is actually something very minor but the feeling I got from a couple LS friends is... Shouldn't they be placed different? In VIP style for sure but otherwise, no.

I just thought it was interesting how this car has to have these features while that car other car should have these other features or it's just not right? What's the deal here?

Let's see what you guys think and we'll find out if this is true. This isn't about my taste but the idea I was talking about (although feel free to hate on my taste). Later people.
Old 10-13-18, 11:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Owners do all sorts of mods to suit their uses-style. Some may be accepted and others looked at differently. The bottom line is that if the mod does what you need it to do then what others comment is of minor significance. So long as it conforms to legal usage on the vehicle.

I would not be able to place lights on mine that way because they would meet the driveway each time in and out. Nor would those conform to placement per the CA vehicle code.
24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps
designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not
be lighted with the lower beam.
(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps
designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also
be lighted with the upper beam.

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two
foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution
of, headlamps.
(b) On a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, the foglamps
authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a
height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and aimed
so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity
portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle
projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the
center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in
front of the vehicle.
Four lamps may be lit on public roads in CA. Headlmaps, one set of fog/driving lamps. If the headlamps, factory fog and those supplemental lamps are on, that is not a legal combination. That's why auxiliary lamps much have a cover on them while on public roads in CA. May want to look that up to make sure you are not going to get a side of the road meeting with the LEO's about vehicle equipment.
Old 10-13-18, 11:58 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts

I remember back in the 70s and 80s, my brother always put Crager mag wheels on his new cars as soon as he purchased them. When I started driving however, I always wanted the stock wheels, rims, hubcaps, etc. When I was younger I was soooo picky about stuff, especially my cars. Since I’ve always purchased pre-owned vehicles, I’ve spent a fortune making them ‘perfect’ again. I’d see someone else driving a car with the wrong rims and think “well that’s not right”. Now-a-days I see someone who has 20” rims and their cars and riding high and think “wow, they’re creative”. It’s so easy to judge and I am worn out with it. I’m a critical thinker at heart and too many degrees have made it worse, but I recently read something that really spoke to me: “Think critically with an open mind”. I still like my cars stock though��.
Old 10-13-18, 12:31 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

i will feel free to hate on your taste, but that LS didn't exactly just roll out of the factory either so whatever
Old 10-14-18, 09:44 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

To me, it doesn't look very clean of an installation. The LS body lines are very smooth and aerodynamic, and those foglights stick out and look out of place.

Also, they're not period correct. There are a lot of options available even on ebay of used foglights that'll match the front end look of the LS more. Try searching from early 90s Lexus' first to see if any can fit in the slats of the bumper. I found some 94' ES300 yellow foglights that fit in my 93 Accord's bumper perfectly and compliment the front end nicely. Plus they were $5 each at the JY and use high quality bulbs. I doubt they've even been changed yet.