LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 LS 400 radio would not stay on

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 09:19 AM
Polvoron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 LS 400 radio would not stay on

Hi guys, my car radio would not stay on. Once i push the power buttom it would go on and imediatly in intervals of maybe one second it would go on and off and repiteadly until i torned the radio off.
The radio is reading the cds, i know this becouse the time of the tracks keep going each time the radio goes on but i dont get to hear anithing
what could this be or what can ido would be better to know thank you!
Old 10-18-18, 10:16 AM
GoldLex99
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the whole radio turn off (display and all) or does just the sound cut out? If it's the whole radio it's most likely a problem with the power wiring (either in the radio or in the car harness). If only the sound is cutting out you're radio is probably failing.

The wiring in the Lexus cars is pretty robust. Unless there's been an accident or other damage the wiring itself rarely fails.

Let's assume the whole radio is powering on and off.

Does this happen when the car is remaining still, or do bumps cause the cycling on and off? If it's bumps then I'd look suspect a connector is loose. If it happens when the car is stationary then it sounds more like a thermal expansion issue where something is heating up, breaking the connection, then cooling which reestablishes the connection repeating the cycle. You can still check the connectors to make sure they are all seated fully, but I think your radio is probably failing inside.

Lexus installed one of two audio systems and the wiring for each is very different. If you have the standard radio it's most likely a Pioneer. The more advanced version is a Nakamichi. Search for threads and you'll find out how to determine which you have. Then find the wiring diagram for the appropriate system. With the diagram you'll be able to determine if the power is constant at the connector. If the power is constant you're radio is toast. If the power is going on and off then the problem is further back in the car wiring.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

John
Old 10-18-18, 10:43 AM
Polvoron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole radio is turning off whith the display and alla, at the beggining it would start doing it randomly like once in a week maybe or every a took a bump in the road
btw the radio is nakamichi