LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Location of fuel pump on 95-97? Also is this the procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 02:40 PM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Location of fuel pump on 95-97? Also is this the procedure?

Hey guys.

I think the fuel pump on the first gen (90-94) is accessed behind the back seat. Is it the same with 95-97? I'd hate to take the seat out to find out otherwise.

I'm probably gonna do this job myself. Tell me if I have the jist of it...

1. Release fuel pressure through gas cap. Have low fuel.
2. Remove the round thing with many small bolts. This is behind the back seat on 90-94. Same on all years or no?
3. The pump is attached to an assembly that is held on with three bolts and, I think, a hose?
4. That assembly has the old fuel pump. Remove that one and put it back together with the new pump and seals and stuff.
5. Connect everything back to this assembly and bolt it back on.
6. Put the circular cover back on.

This sound right? Also should I be marking polarity on certain wires? Read something about that.
Old 10-21-18, 04:39 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

This may help, not a great video, but better than nothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A17eeyvEzfM. It is for a 1999 model, but I watched a video for a 1994 version and it showed taking the back seat out as well. There are good instructions for removing the back here in this forum. Don't smoke, disconnect the battery, and you'll do fine. Also, I think you may need to do more to relieve the fuel pressure. Some manufacturers instruct the removal of a fuse (not sure which one for the LS400) and then cranking until all the pressure is relieved. Maybe someone else knows that part. Good luck.
Old 10-21-18, 07:26 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Here's how I relieve fuel pressure in my '91. General instructions, not just for the fuel pump:

relieving fuel pressure:
1: remove Fuel pump relay from front right of engine compartment - near air flow sensor
2: Loosen fuel cap to relieve air pressure, then tighten it so some vacuum is created as fuel leaks out.
3. Start the engine. After the engine has stopped running on its own, turn the Ignition Switch OFF.
4. Place a rag or shop towel over the component to be serviced. Place a suitable container under the component to catch spilled fuel.
5. Slowly loosen the union bolt or fitting to relieve any remaining fuel pressure.
6. After repairs are made, reconnect the Fuel Pump relay

So for the fuel pump, you can skip 4 and 5.

The pump was accessed behind the back seat on my '91. Instructions say to replace the gasket there, but I did not, with no problems.

You will probably find the bottom of the fuel tank to be covered with a little dust-like stuff. So I ran the tank down as far as I could (about 3 gallons left), pumped that out, then wiped the bottom with paper towels to get as much of that dust debris out as I could.

As far as disassembly goes, it is pretty straight forward, replace old with new. As I recall, the one tough thing was sliding a new rubber hose on a smooth pipe. A little silicone grease turns that from really difficult to easy.

Polarity definitely matters. Fortunately, I think the studs are different sizes, so there is only one way to hook it up again. But in case your pump does not have that feature, pay attention and keep the polarity the same.